RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Novice Question (I Think)

byronomo

I'm running Win7 pro 64-bit and have a Synology NAS.   I can access everything fine on the NAS via Windows Explorer.   However, while I can "Map Network Drive" to folders on the NAS, I cannot do the same with Subfolders.

So, for example....let's say that I want to map \\DISKSTATION\MyData as drive "Z:" via Windows Explorer---I can do that with no problem.

However, if I want to map \\DISKSTATION\MyData\Photos as drive "P:", the option to "Map Network Drive" does not even appear in the right-click menu in file explorer.   Further, I thought of just accessing "Map Network Drive" on one of the main folders and then manually entering the path of the sub-folder that I'd actually like to map to, but the "Browse" function is disabled and the entry box where the path can be entered is disabled.

Any ideas?  I'm guessing (hoping) that I'm missing something simple...

I haven't looked at going that deep but why not just Create the root folders as Photos, Documents, Music, etc instead of going \MyData\Photos.  My example works just fine for me. 

It has to be something within the Synology OS causing this, however, I've not tried going more that one level deep when sharing from my Synology box back to a Windows Client.

Thanks.  The file structure was a vestige of a storage structure I establish long ago (most recently from my WHS v1, which I am migrating from for storage), and I'd gotten set in my ways and had a number of things that I use set up for that structure.

I ended up following your suggestion and "promoting" the subfolders.

As an aside---for those interested---Now I have transitioned from WHS v1 for storage.  My v1 box is now only backing up PCs and storing Recorded TV.