RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
E3000

Server OS for HP Gen8

E3000

Hey guys, I'm new around here... In fact quite new(ish) to the whole home server scene ;-)

I have a G7 N54L running WHS2011 and planning to upgrade to Gen8 G1610T. I currently use my home server to share files between various devices around the house, for Plex media streaming/transcoding, and also to backup a few PCs.

I am quite happy with WHS2011 but as its a bit old and official support ends next year (I believe?) as well as my license being tied to the N54L, I'm thinking over which OS to use for Gen8. What I have seen and read about WS2012 seems like it's more complex than WHS2011 but it should be similar if I use it the same way...right? Would I be better off with OMV, FreeNAS, Xpenology, etc? Are they good for backing up and restoring PCs? Cost of OS is not really an issue as I have a friend who has Dreamspark access :-)

I'd also like the possibility of setting up my own VPN, hosting an IRC egg/bot, http server maybe in the future, or at least play around with such...

So what do you guys suggest?

Trig0r

If you want to "Play" about with things then possibly look at virtualisation, both Hyper-V and VMWare are available in free versions that you can drop on the box, then from there look at building up VM's for IRC and oter bits and bobs, then when you either break them or dont need them you can kill them off pretty quickly without having to mess with your core installation.

E3000

If you want to "Play" about with things then possibly look at virtualisation, both Hyper-V and VMWare are available in free versions that you can drop on the box, then from there look at building up VM's for IRC and oter bits and bobs, then when you either break them or dont need them you can kill them off pretty quickly without having to mess with your core installation.

Sounds like a good idea! Do they support gfx acceleration these days?

Also, I read a lot about people installing ESXi on a USB stick (at least on G7 anyway)... Would I still need a HDD to install the OSs on? And if I have a Windows licence tied to the server would it be valid for use in a VM?

Edited by E3000

Trig0r

Hyper-V will want a drive, pretty sure you can run VMWare from a stick though.

As for GFX acceleration, this answers the question from a VMware POV

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Multi-headed-VMWare-Gaming-Setup-564/

Not sure how much Hyper-V has caught up though, I am in the middle of setting up 2 machines on Hyper-V 2016 and will drop an R9-270x into one of them to see how it runs..

jmwills

You cannot run run "VMWare" of Hyper-V core from a USB stick.  You can run ESXi from removable media such as a USB stick.  A license tied to the host could not be used for a VM client unless it is a Volume License.

E3000

I'm still wondering if it's possible to have both an ODD and an SSD (with one of them running off the internal USB) as well as the 4 HDDs in the bays... Then all OSs can be run from that SSD, or even run VMWare (the real one) from inside Windows...

Edited by E3000

schoondoggy

Yes, you can run a ssd on the sata port and use a slim sata to USB cable for the odd.

You would not run VMware from inside windows. If you are considering running VMware you can run it from a USB drive.

schoondoggy

I'm still wondering if it's possible to have both an ODD and an SSD (with one of them running off the internal USB) as well as the 4 HDDs in the bays... Then all OSs can be run from that SSD, or even run VMWare (the real one) from inside Windows...

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/7545-gen-8-usb-slim-sata-adapter-for-odd/

E3000

Thanks schoondoggy (and jmwills and trig0r) :-)

That cable has 2 USB plugs and there is only 1 internal USB right?

Trig0r

Yes there is only 1 internal USB.

I presume that the second end of the cable simply takes power from another USB port to power up older drives that need more juice....