RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Plex and Cloud Sync

awraynor

I was reading a Reddit article https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/30eot0/for_60_a_year_unlimited_amazon_storage/

on using Amazon Cloud Drive as a drive for your Plex Media Collection. 

Some are using http://www.netdrive.net/and some are using https://www.odrive.com/m/ to manage

their media within Amazon Cloud Drive. This is an interesting concept. I've e-mailed Drashna to

see if StableBit Cloud Drive could do something similar. I am quite a fan of DrivePool and want to

support the company for good work.

I thought it would be nice to have my collection stored local and off site for backup and use. I would think playing from

Amazon would be faster than playing from my 3 Mbps up connection. Some of course are worried that ripped content

my be a no-no with Amazon. It looks like the StableBit product does encryption be default. 

Anyone have input or do something similar?

• Like 1

Other than the fact that using Amazon Cloud Drive may be problematic  .... 

Yes, there is nothing to prevent you from doing this. In fact, it should work quite well.  While developing and testing the pre-fetching algorithms for the read caching feature, Alex was testing it by playing uncompressed blue-ray rips of movies.  Assuming you have the downstreaming bandwidth for it (and the upstream to get everything "up"), there shouldn't be any issues with doing the same for your entire collection.  

However, in this case, a larger cache may be a good idea. This way, commonly accessed files (such as metadata) may be retained locally. 

Other than the fact that using Amazon Cloud Drive may be problematic  .... 

Yes, there is nothing to prevent you from doing this. In fact, it should work quite well.  While developing and testing the pre-fetching algorithms for the read caching feature, Alex was testing it by playing uncompressed blue-ray rips of movies.  Assuming you have the downstreaming bandwidth for it (and the upstream to get everything "up"), there shouldn't be any issues with doing the same for your entire collection.  

However, in this case, a larger cache may be a good idea. This way, commonly accessed files (such as metadata) may be retained locally. 

Plex has behaved much better since I am running it as a Windows Service. I thought about doing this with my Plex media

and all my files as yet another source of backup. For the price it's kind of hard to beat. 

As a non-IT Pro I'm trying to think through this. Plex Cloud Sync utilizes Google Drive, Box, Copy and Dropbox as their 

cloud connected options. So if I were to go through the process above I would be downloading from Amazon to PC and

then back to my remote client vs. playing directly from the cloud provider?

Well, glad to hear that you have plex running reliably (I never really could get it stable ....).

As for the sync options, I'm not really familiar with it, so I am not sure how much I could comment there.

But to clarify, StableBit CloudDrive doesn't store the individual files on the provider. It's raw data broken up into manageable chunks.  So the pictures and video and music you place on the drive won't show up if you try to use Amazon Cloud Drive's web interface or client.  You'd have to use StableBit CloudDrive (or access Plex remotely).  
However, you could detach the drive from one system and attach it to a new system if you wanted to access the contents on another system (such as reinstalling or moving Plex).