RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Dropbox Users?

jcollison

In our discussions of cloud based storage solutions, Dropbox came up in a thread. Who is using it on their WHS? How well does it work? How do you have it working? Are you paying for it?

Dave posted an invitation one day and I added it to my desktop PC. I never thought about adding it to my server but I guess that makes sense. Instead, I use it to share files between my desktop PC and my new HTC Incredible Smartphone.

I have it on several desktops and on my phone - don't have a WHS to try it on yet. Works really well, and is very convenient. Not sure if you've tried it out on desktops yourself, and is merely asking about experiences using it on a server...

I have not tried it yet. Was wanting to get feedback from those who have. Thought maybe someone had tried it on a WHS.

I have been using it for months but not on WHS. I just used to sync three computers, iPad, and iPhone for things I am working on. I will be trying it on my test server soon but was going to wait for the next release on Vail. I will post my results on WHS v1 this weekend.

In the same boat as most. I use it on my PC, but I never really thought to try it on my home server. I got together with a couple of guys I work with to share source code with it.

I've used it on all my PC's but not my WHS. Very handy for sharing files between work and home. The public folder makes quickly sharing files with other people a snap too. Well worth getting and you can't beat free. I believe it's 2GB as a base and you can get it upto 8GB via referrals. Just get your family members to sign up and you'll have a decent sized account for nothing.

I to use Dropbox on my client machines and my Android Vibrant but have not tried it on WHS yet. I am interested to see some test as I am thinking of using Dropbox to sync my KeePass password safe DB synced between my Android & the WHS.

Used Dropbox for a long time now and I have only found 1 problem with it:

Dropbox is installed on a Windows 2003 Server. With each login of a user, there are 3 of us, it starts up a new copy of Dropbox for that user on the server.

After about 1 week, I will login to the server and see that the CPU is at 100%, and it's always 1 of the copies of Dropbox running that is using all the CPU time.

Also, Dropbox will stop syncing during this high CPU time (all copies).

I kill each copy and restart my login's copy. It takes a few minutes to sync and all works well, until the other guys login and I do this again 1 week later.