RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Connecting to iLO via Internet

Dwain Pipe

When I'm outside my home (where my server is located) how can I connect to iLO?

I'm guessing I need my external facing router to forward a specific port number to the server's iLO network connection internally.

Thanks in advance.

Craig 

I'm guessing I need my external facing router to forward a specific port number to the server's iLO network connection internally.

Yes. You can see what ports are necessary for each feature by looking in iLO -> Administration -> Access Settings.

I personally wouldn't directly expose the iLO interface to the internet even though many people do. You should investigate setting up a VPN on the router.

• Like 1

Thank you for the info.  I'll look in to that VPN idea first ;-)

Is it the Remote Console Port I should use or the Web Server SSL Port, changing it to something non-standard, i.e. not 443?

Thank you for the info.  I'll look in to that VPN idea first ;-)

Is it the Remote Console Port I should use or the Web Server SSL Port, changing it to something non-standard, i.e. not 443?

Not sure exactly what you're asking here, but I'll tell you what I do.

As GotNoTime says, exposing your iLO directly to the Internet is a bad idea.  If someone probed it and managed to get connected to your server, they could shut it down.  For those of us with an iLO Advanced license key, they could actually attempt to connect to the server's operating system and do more damage.

Setting up a VPN on your router is a good idea.  If you don't have a static IP (a lot of home users don't, including myself), you can register a domain name, and tie it to your router's DHCP address using Dynamic DNS.  This is what I do.  Then I have a VPN set up with my domain name rather than an IP address, so I can connect to domain-name:<port> where <port> is the TCP port I set up for SSL VPN.  I don't use 443 for this port because there is a good chance you'll wish to use 443 for something else someday, like an https: port forward to something on your network.

Once you have a VPN connection, you can browse to your iLO.  In my case, I also have my HP iLO set to a nonstandard port, also to allow 443 to be used by a service-to-be-named-later.

Recommendation:  As many of us remember 443 for HTTPS access, using a custom port number like 4443, 5443, etc. makes remembering your port numbers easier for SSL VPN and the iLO.  Also, it's not a bad idea to create a new administrative user on the iLO with a different name than "administrator" or "admin" and once done, disable the original administrative user.

Edited by LoneWolf