RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen8 + Xpenology w/ horrible fan noise

Goober

Hi

I've never had a server before I bought a Gen8 (this one specifically) with the intention of installing Xpenology/DSM because of it's user friendliness.  I went ahead and installed everything without issue and found the Synology UI to be as good as everyone says.  The problem I have is that the fan is just too loud for the size of room it's situated in.  After doing some googling I discovered that this is a common complaint and it has something to do with the RAID controller.  Being a server/NAS noob it all went over my head but as far as i can tell there is basically no way to solve the problem when using Xpenology/DSM, is that correct?

If someone would kindly clarify for me whether or not the problem is fixable or not i'd really appreciate it.  I certainly hope it's fixable as my initial impressions are very good but unfortunately it'll have to sent back if it's going to be that loud.

Thanks

Edited by Goober

Have you updated the BIOS and all of the firmware?

I haven't and i'm afraid to say I dont know how  :unsure:

I also read that it doesn't actually solve the issue.

Are you using AHCI or the B120i for your disks?

You'll have to excuse my ignorance but i dont actually know.  Literally all did when I received the system was boot from a USB stick with Xpenology bootloader and then go from there.

I think this is the newest SPP: http://h17007.www1.hp.com/us/en/enterprise/servers/products/service_pack/spp/index.aspx

It should update everything on your server.

Thanks, i'll have a look and try and figure out how to update.

So I managed to login to the iLo thingy and according to that my fan is running at 10% but I can still hear it humming and buzzing away loud enough to be distracting :(

So I managed to login to the iLo thingy and according to that my fan is running at 10% but I can still hear it humming and buzzing away loud enough to be distracting :(

If 10% fan is too noisy for you then you either have to move it further away or attempt to swap the fan. There isn't anything else you can do about it since the Microserver is operating correctly. The issue is that the fan isn't a normal PC fan. The connector has extra pins and the tacho sense line isn't the usual kind so the Microserver will register a fan fault then shut down. The article claims to show how it can be defeated but the article is a bit vague in places and some people said it doesn't work.