RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Sourcing Questions for a VM Newbie.

itGeeks

I purchased a brand new SUPERMICRO SYS-5018D-MF 1U Rackmount Server Barebone LGA 1150 Intel C222 Express PCH DDR3 1600 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101786

and a Intel Xeon E3-1231V3 Haswell 3.4 GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1150 80W BX80646E31231V3 Server Processor http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117316

and also 16GB of Samsung ECC memory to go into this system. I am thinking of maybe setting up this box with VM's but I have never worked with VM's before so I have no idea what I am doing.

Objectives for this box would be install Windows 10 Pro to run Plex Media Server as well as some other Windows based programs, Allow remote access to the Windows 10 desktop using either native RDP or Team Viewer, I would also like to install Sophos UTM on this box in a VM, There maybe other things I want to do later on but for now I just want to focus on this.

Ok so now my questions,

Q1) What software should I use to create these VM's? Please remember I am a newbie so ease of use is a plus.

Q2) How many network cards do I need in this system? Do I need one network card for each VM I want to create?

Q3) Will the VM's automatically restart if the host server reboots?

Q4) Anything else I need to be aware of setting this up that I have not touched on?

Thanks for taking the time....

1. Hyper-V (it's free)
  2.  According to what you want to do, at least four
  3.  Yes
  4. Is there a Hyper-V role within Windows 10?

if you have a copy of Server 2012R2, you could enable the Essentials and Hyper-V roles and be well on your way to what you want to do.  Of course you could install Hyper-V Core Server as the Host and bypass the need for a full blown OS on the host.  NOTE:  Hyper-V Core is just what it says, a core Server, no GUI.

After much research I think I have decided to use Hyper-V what I was wondering is how fast the hard drive should be that hosts the VM's? The main host will be a Windows 10 Pro running on a Samsung SSD, I want good response times as one of the VM's will be for Sophos but I don't want to over spec the drive speed for no good reason. At first I was thinking a Western Digital Velociraptor 600 GB SATA III 10000 RPM 32 MB Cache but I don't know if that's way overkill since that host is already on a SSD. Thoughts and recommendations please?

Thanks for taking the time... 

Edited by itGeeks

The OS is barely being written to, but I agree that an SSD is needed for the OS.  I went a little overboard and put three SSD's in a RAID0 to house the VM's and the performance is spectacular for what I need.  For your situation, I'd opt for two of those 600 gig drives.  You will be amazed how fast it will fill up

The OS is barely being written to, but I agree that an SSD is needed for the OS.  I went a little overboard and put three SSD's in a RAID0 to house the VM's and the performance is spectacular for what I need.  For your situation, I'd opt for two of those 600 gig drives.  You will be amazed how fast it will fill up

OK so you don't think those WD 10000 RPM drives are over kill if I am already using an SSD for the OS? I really don'e want to over spec the drives. Many insist that 7200 RPM drives are more then enough. Also I don't have room in my box for two of the WD 600 gig drives plus the SSD drive because this is a 1U server and only has room for two drives.

Edited by itGeeks