RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Help on which OS to choose

Streaming

Hi All.

I am a noob to the forum, networking and servers.

I have been doing a lot of read about it all and can safely say my head is spinning with all the terminology and acronyns!

Anyway, I purchased a HP Gen8 1610T and extra 8Gb of ram. Ive got an SSD and plan on sticking it in the ODD and use it to run the OS.

Things i want the server to do:

Central point for all files and media.

Backup

Plex streaming

Couch potato, which ive just discovered.

And a printer server.

And... I'm sure when i figure out more things the list will increase :)

2 windows laptops, 2 android phones and a ipad will be connected.

Going to be using 2 3tb HDD, and from what I've read RAID 1 sounds like it would do me.

So what OS should I consider using? I want something simple for me to start playing with. I can afford to spend no more than £100 on software. Heard quite a few mention windows 8.1?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

2 windows laptops, 2 android phones and a ipad will be connected.

Going to be using 2 3tb HDD, and from what I've read RAID 1 sounds like it would do me.

So what OS should I consider using? I want something simple for me to start playing with. I can afford to spend no more than £100 on software. Heard quite a few mention windows 8.1?

Hi,

Before August 29 I used Windows 8.1 on my N54L (Gen7) and was quite happy with this OS.

N54L is wired by 1Gb Ethernet with home Wi-Fi router. HTPC is also wired, and Surface and phones are used by air.

HTPC I use Kodi (XBMC http://kodi.tv)to see videos, photos, listen music and watch IPTV, videos, photos and music are stored on N54L.

Kodi is controlled with phones by Wi-Fi.

And now I have Windows 10 on N54L and HTPC. All goes well, except server ATI onboard video (no good drivers), but it's not your case, I think you have Intel in Gen8

Also just yesterday I moved server OS from HDD to SSD and am trying to speed SSD up

For your clients backup it would be a good idea to think about veeam endpoint. You can find a lot of information here.

You want do do a raid 1 with your 2 3TG drives. Be aware that it is not a kind of backup. If you want a backup, I would go for a synchronisation solution. I am using allway sync for this job but you can find some good hints for using robocopy.

Issue with raid: you are deleting on drive A and it is immediately deleted also on drive B

With the sync solution you can store deleted or changed files in a separate folder for a period of time to be save

Server 2012 essentials.

Add the Hyper-V role and create a VM for your Plex server.

Then add Stablebits Drivepool to bang your disks in a pool which you can then share to the network and the Plex VM.

Thats basically where I started, then swapped out a few CPU's, more RAM, bigger drives, P222 card and more SSD's lol...

For your clients backup it would be a good idea to think about veeam endpoint. You can find a lot of information here.

You want do do a raid 1 with your 2 3TG drives. Be aware that it is not a kind of backup. If you want a backup, I would go for a synchronisation solution. I am using allway sync for this job but you can find some good hints for using robocopy.

Issue with raid: you are deleting on drive A and it is immediately deleted also on drive B

With the sync solution you can store deleted or changed files in a separate folder for a period of time to be save

So how would be best to set up my HHD for backup and to protect against a drive failure?

Hi,

Before August 29 I used Windows 8.1 on my N54L (Gen7) and was quite happy with this OS.

N54L is wired by 1Gb Ethernet with home Wi-Fi router. HTPC is also wired, and Surface and phones are used by air.

HTPC I use Kodi (XBMC http://kodi.tv)to see videos, photos, listen music and watch IPTV, videos, photos and music are stored on N54L.

Kodi is controlled with phones by Wi-Fi.

And now I have Windows 10 on N54L and HTPC. All goes well, except server ATI onboard video (no good drivers), but it's not your case, I think you have Intel in Gen8

Also just yesterday I moved server OS from HDD to SSD and am trying to speed SSD up

What drivers do you need to install windows 8.1? I've seen a few posts for installing Windows 7 and a few videos but links to drivers are dead :/

Server 2012 essentials.

Add the Hyper-V role and create a VM for your Plex server.

Then add Stablebits Drivepool to bang your disks in a pool which you can then share to the network and the Plex VM.

Thats basically where I started, then swapped out a few CPU's, more RAM, bigger drives, P222 card and more SSD's lol...

Unfortunately its out of my price range at the minute. 

Anyway, I purchased a HP Gen8 1610T and extra 8Gb of ram. Ive got an SSD

So what OS should I consider using? I want something simple for me to start playing with. I can afford to spend no more than £100 on software. Heard quite a few mention windows 8.1? .

Try some free software, like Ubuntu Server, OpenMediaVault, Nas4Free or FreeNas. Really simple to use headless with web admin on latter 3. Ubuntu you can run headless or install a desktop.

seting up your drives:

I would run both as single drives (in B120i configuraution two times raid 0). Drive A is for keeping Data and Backups; accessable from everybody in your network

Drive B is only for the Backup of drive A

This has an additional advantage. in case of a major breakdown of your server you can put drives in another PC and you have immediately access to your data.