RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New install of WHS 2011

john401

After installing WHS 2011, then when I go to a computer I want to connect to i.e server/connect I get a message similar to can't connect due to the computer pending a restart etc etc, there is no restart needed, only issues I can see is that if it requires a .net 4 install or my computer which is running win 7 it is being seen as a server but I also get the same problem when I try the same connect to another computer laptop, I am a bit new to Servers this the second one I have done first one went fine, also not set up remote server as yet so not sure if thats the problem.

Would be most grateful for any help.

John

My guess is that Windows Update wants to reboot the computer and it can't install .NET 4.0 until after that has occurred.  You can try installing .NET 4.0 from Windows Update (I think it still shows up in the optional list, haven't checked in a while) and see if that helps.

Not sure if this is relevant, but I remember when I closed the Server down last night there were about 167 updates to install and I have watched other videos regarding WHS 2011 which says all computers must have all updates up to date.

if the requirements for the Connector Software are not met, the install of the connector will fail.  Also, do you have these clients in a "HomeGroup" setting?

Yeh all the client computers are in a "Homegroup" crunch day today I will be setting up shortly at the customers, fingers crossed I won't get same problem.

Will reply later what happened

You will get the same problem unfortunately.  Get rid of the HomeGroup.  If you search these forums you will find that many others have faced the same issue.

Well I got some good results, 2 out of the machines allowed me to connect via the connect software, then after a restart the third worked but still got one thats not playing games but I didn't want to restart this machine at the time has it was in use so left till Monday, only problem I got know is port forwarding for Remote web access, the wizard wouldn't forward ports 80, 443, 4125 and 3389 tried manually but couldn't get to work when I checked if the ports where open, the router is a Netgear N300 think an NGR2200, it was saying for port 80 and 443 that they were being used by another device.

Will probably contact Netgear on Monday for some help

If they are already using 443 for another App, then you will be forced to use sn alternative port. I do this now and its easy to setup

Problem I got was it said port 80 and 443 are already in use but then when I check if ports are open it says they are closed, I have got an APP from portforward which should open correct ports for WHS 2011 so will try that on Monday, failing that its a phone call to Netgear, also I realized I have to set a reserve IP address in DHCP, so fun and games.