RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Driveragent

Poppapete

Does anyone use this product? Is it a waste of money? I spend a lot of time checking on driver updates on the various machines in my "Domain" and would love a reliable malware free software package that worked.  I would pay for such a serevice!

I used this product years ago when you could update an unlimited number of computers. I'm not sure it 

made anything better. Given our desire to make sure everything is completely updated it would make all the Red

X's disappear after successive scans which is of course our goal. 

I have not tried them, but I have heard good things about slimdrivers and driverupdate: http://driverupdate.net/

Not a lot of good talk about this one but then not a lot of good vibes for any driver update software.

I guess the best way is to look for the latest drivers for each individual device if it is giving trouble. I was looking for an easy way out!

Not a lot of good talk about this one but then not a lot of good vibes for any driver update software.

I guess the best way is to look for the latest drivers for each individual device if it is giving trouble. I was looking for an easy way out!

Easy way out is to pick well-supported hardware, or to standardize.

What kinds of hardware are you having issues finding decent drivers for?  Aside from hardware where the vendor themselves provides poor support, I've had little trouble finding what I need for quite a broad range of gear.

Easy way out is to pick well-supported hardware, or to standardize.

What kinds of hardware are you having issues finding decent drivers for?  Aside from hardware where the vendor themselves provides poor support, I've had little trouble finding what I need for quite a broad range of gear.

Not having trouble finding drivers but trying to work out weather I should load new drivers when there is no problem. I have just got a new asus x99 MB and there are updated drivers for Audio,LAN, as well as new BIOS.From experience I have learnt that it is best not to load any if the system is working OK but well I just like to tinker!

Not having trouble finding drivers but trying to work out weather I should load new drivers when there is no problem. I have just got a new asus x99 MB and there are updated drivers for Audio,LAN, as well as new BIOS.From experience I have learnt that it is best not to load any if the system is working OK but well I just like to tinker!

General rule of thumb is, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.  While I don't always follow that rule in my home environment, reading the changelogs should help you make the decision.

-Does it resolve significant security issues? Do it.

-Are there significant bug fixes? Do it.

-Are there significant performance enhancements? Do it, if there are no caveats listed in the readme files.

-Are there new features?  Wait until the .1 release unless it's a really big deal to you, as the first release of a new feature is likely to be the one with bugs.

The automatic driver updaters, even if they automate the process, do little to make sure you're using the most stable driver for your hardware.  They might update, but they won't be performing the task you mentioned that's most important to you.  And most of them are gimmicky.

P.S.  For home-built workstations (e.g., enthusiast mainboards from ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte), write down all your custom BIOS settings before you update.  I don't know why enthusiast mainboard vendors don't have this down when the likes of Dell, HP, and others do, but upgrading tends to wipe the settings.  If I were a mainboard vendor, the number one thing I'd do is set up a way to save the settings through a BIOS flash, and I'd tout that feature like there's no tomorrow.  It annoys the tar out of me every time I update the BIOS on the relatively recent Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK mainboard I used for my desktop.