RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Windows 7 - fresh install (home version), update death?

Trimble Epic

Trimble Epic

Hey, dunno if y'all know anything about this, but I though I'd ask.

This weekend, I tried to reinstall windows 7 home on an older dell laptop.. (I think it's a D630 or something like that)...

Anyway, the install went fine, ran updates repeatedly to try to bring it to CURRENT.  It ran fine until after downloading and installing SP1, reboot, and one more update. the next update after SP1 appears to be an update to windows update itself.  After downloading and installing that update, now update is ...

Well, now it's searching for updates and never finishing.  Also, CPU usage is at a steady 50% and it's running the CPU temp up.  (I think it has 2 cores, so I suspect one is fully used by this).

So, I suspected a bad install, and I wiped the drive and started over.  same exact results, after SP1 and that update to update, same thing. 

Is there a currently known issue for windows 7 that's causing this?  could it be specific to my Dell?  I didn't install ANY drivers on the second run-through, thinking maybe the one Dell driver it wanted to update was the problem... 

Ideas Anyone?  This was intended to be a test of Win 10 upgrade with one of my family member's apps installed, but I wasn't going to install it until I got a stable fully updated windows 7 install, and I can't seem to get there.

I have seen this as well. hopefully you have time on your hands.

you might consider:

* set windows update options to not update other products (you can restore that later)

* set windows update options to ask you before downloading any updates

* when it does come up with the list of updates, choose a bundle like 30-50 instead of having it gulp the whole 170+ updates. For example, I started with only security related fixes, then all the fixes related to .net etc.

* be patient

I started with SP1 already on my install disk and it still took a couple days to complete.

maybe our older machines are more limited than yours. I included putting on office, all its updates,

and farting around with all the windows media center issues in my 2 days.

Edited by nrf

I just reimaged a brand new Core i5 laptop a couple weeks ago (want to remove all of the Dell bloatware) and starting from SP1 it installed the update to Windows Update and then I think the first check for updates after that took over 1 hour to complete.  I forget how long exactly, but I do remember it seeming like it was locked up to the point that I restarted the service once and then rebooted the computer.  Finally I figured it would figure it out and went and did something else for a while and when I came back it was ready with which updates it needed to install.

I suggest letting it sit checking overnight if you haven't already and see if it can come back with the list then.  If that doesn't, then I'd start to think that there might be something else going on.

Well, now it's searching for updates and never finishing.  Also, CPU usage is at a steady 50% and it's running the CPU temp up.  (I think it has 2 cores, so I suspect one is fully used by this).

What does task manager say is eating up all the CPU time? The .NET updates after installation will start some kind of installation or optimisation process in the background that will grind away using a large amount of CPU for quite a while if you're on an old PC.
Trimble Epic

It's a 250g 2.5" laptop drive in a Dell Latitude D630.

It's a fresh install of Windows 7 Home from my original Win7 DVD  (pre-SP1)

I've installed NOTHING else.  I just installed windows 7, then I kept running windows update, downloading, rebooting, rinse, repeat until the situation occurred.

I've let the machine sit running overnight...  twice.

Currently the machine is powered off and sitting in my wife's office, so I'll have to go get it, power it up, and check resource manager to answer GotNoTime's questions, but the first time I looked, it was showing the update process inside one of the system processes (I forget their names at the moment)

Edited by Trimble Epic