RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

SSDs temp

iuri

Hi all,

this is my first post on this forum, although i've been an avid follower of this forum and community because i have two MS gen8.

On one of them, I'm upgrading it as best as I can.

the config will be the following:

CPU: Xeon E3-1265L v2

RAM: Kingston 16gb (KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G)

Storage:

- on the B120i: 4x WD RE4 3TB (WD3000FYYZ) in Raid 1+0 configuration

- on the P222: 4x SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256gb (MZ-7KE256BW) in Raid 1+0 configuration

the chassis will have the Schoondoggy bracket (v2) to attach two of the ssds.

The server is still in the process of being assembled (haven't purchased all the parts yet), but as I started assembling what I already have, I noticed I may not be able to fit side by side two of the SSDs on the ODD space on top of the server.

I noticed some people have placed them on top of each other and apparently have no issues with it.

Considering these will be 2 of a 4 drive raid 10 array, should I be worried with the temperatures that these two will have?

I'm considering in changing the config of the OS raid config from 4x 256gb (raid 10) to 2x 512gb (raid 1) so that they OS drives are nicely attached on the Schoondoggy bracket.

The Samsung 850 Pro's are rated for up to 70C for the operating temperature. So as long as you have good airflow, there should be absolutely no issues here.

I doubt you will have issues I have 3 120GB ssd and an optical drive in the top of my gen 8 on a raid 0 array plus 4 3tb spinners and another 2 120GB ssd in a mirror array and run without issue