RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

PC restore from WHS V1

StanHD

Well, it had to happen. Last night I thought I would add a plug-in to my Windows 7 64 Media Center on my HTPC, and it all went T.U.

All my long hours of carefully honing things to near perfection with the aid of this forum and PCdoc basically turned to dust. Media Center was failing with lots of different error messages. I tried to "uninstall" it from Control Panel, but even this failed. I tried to use System Restore, and this failed too. sad.gif

But hey, no worries, WHS will do for me what it has done a couple of times for my netbook and laptop. All I need to do is grab the PC Restore disk, stick the drivers from the WHS backup on a USB key reboot from CD and off we go ...................... Not ............... Fail !!

I am probably the only person that didn't work out that the restore disk is 32 bit, and my NIC drivers are ............. yep, 64 Bit ......... Doh !!

I went through the restore process 3 times and each time I got the "No network connection" error after the process searches for the WHS. (yes I am a slow learner).

Anyway 01:00 am came along (the way it does when you just do something "quick" before you go to bed) and the bottom lip was out and thoughts of installing from scratch started to leak into the last 2 brain cells still pretending to be awake. Hang on Google will have the answer ....... use 32 bit drivers?.

So I downloaded every 32 Bit Realtek driver I could find, slung them into folders on the USB key and tried again.

Success, 45 minutes later and I was watching Avatar Blu-Ray rip just as if nothing had ever happened............ except it was 02:15 am and I had to get up at 06:00 for work !! (Man did I sleep well knowing things were fixed)

To sum up:-

1. I love WHS PC backup & restore, it is still the best feature on this platform.
  2. Get hold of copies of 32 bit NIC Drivers for your 64 Bit OS PCs, just in case this happens.
  3. And if I am the only one that did not know this then oops sorry, red face rolleyes.gif

StanHD zzzzzzzzzsleep.gif

Stan - a good story! Just a great example why we talk about this stuff all the time. Thanks for sharing.

It will be great to move on to VAIL and get a real 64 bit OS. I am counting down the days!

Drink lots of coffee today at work. Cheers!

I admire you....

Usually when I have any P.C. prob that I try to resolve (successfully or not)just before bed, I cant sleep because my head won't let go:)

Sorry it happen but great story with a happy ending. Just an FYI for the future, but system restore only works about 40% of the time "unless" you run it from safe mode. If you launch into safe mode you will have 95% success with system restore on either 32 or 641 bit systems. Thanks for sharing your story.

Sorry it happen but great story with a happy ending. Just an FYI for the future, but system restore only works about 40% of the time "unless" you run it from safe mode. If you launch into safe mode you will have 95% success with system restore on either 32 or 641 bit systems. Thanks for sharing your story.

Ah, didn't know that, duly noted, thanks pcdoc.