RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New to WHS

axoid

Don't forget to add an external drive to back up your shares and run BDBB to backup your backups. That sounds crazy but I wish I had done it before one of my hard drives died. The ioSafe drive is a nice option as well. If you have highly critical data look into KeepVault as well.

Welcome to fun and thanks for posting.

Dave

If my needs exceed the 12 Tbs that the server can hold internally I'll probably get a external multibay drive housing and start putting drive it that. By then drives may be up to 4 or 5 Tbs and I just start up-sizing the existing drives.

I've been listening to the podcasts and on the subject of anti-virus I noticed that Microsoft has a version of Windows Defender that is intended for 2003 Server. I installed it yesterday with out any problems. I'll let you guys know if it gives me any problems.

- Bill

Thanks for the hint on Windows defender. Going to try that on my test server tonight. Here is the link for those playing at home.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=435bfce7-da2b-4a6a-afa4-f7f14e605a0d&displaylang=en

Supported Operating Systems: Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 1; Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2; Windows XP Service Pack 2

yeah, defender works on WHS just fine. No issues really. But not really necessary unless your doing a lot of browsing on your server.