I've got a full house for you on this episode. These guys are here to tell you about their own experiences with the different Drive Extender products that are on the market today. I'm talking about StableBit DrivePool, DriveBender, and Storage Spaces. We are not comparing anything to RAID on this one. It's just about the products. It's a great show and I hope you like it. My thanks to my guests for joining. Check out the YouTube of this episode for all screen shots. http://youtube.com/homeservershow
John Stutsman - @johnstutsman
Matt Sawyer - @dojonorthllc
John Zajdler - @Dieharder
Jim Collison - @jcollison.
Follow Dave, @homeservershow.
The YouTube of this episode is live on my channel: http://youtube.com/homeservershow
Dojo North Software - WindowSMART 2013
Google Reader Going where?
Try theoldreader.com via Jose Ortiz
ADATA AE400 via NewEgg.com DashDrive Air AE400 Black 5000 mAh Wireless Storage Reader and Power Bank AAE400-CBKSV
John Stutsman's notes on StableBit
When I got WHS-2011 up and running on my MicroServer in June 2012 I tried Stablebit Scanner and DrivePool on the trial basis -- liked it and have stuck with it ever since.
Manual for StableBit Scanner Version 2.X available at a later time
- Peace of Mind -- know I can recover data off of individual drives in event of total system failure
- Set it and forget it -- started out with everything pretty much on defaults with no issue
- Easy to Update
- Like how DrivePool and Scanner are working together more with new versions (more intergration)
- Trouble free since June 2011
- Manual has a good section on Backup http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/Manual/ServerBackupPool
- I do use Server backup for critical folders (even though they are duplicated) I use the method in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/4427.faq-for-windows-home-and-sbs-backup.aspx to enable me to backup from Vol’s bigger than 2TB
- the manual section on Folder Duplication has an interesting writeup on Read Striping for duplicated folders http://stablebit.com/Support/DrivePool/Manual/FolderDuplication -- this was something that I noticed and wrote about in http://homeservershow.com/installing-windows-home-server-2011-on-a-ssd-in-a-hp-microserver-n40l.html that the performance of the Pool was slightlyt better than the individual ST3000DM001’s that made up the pool
- Easy to reinstall a new/replacement OS and move the Pool to the new OS
Fully functional 30 day trial
If you want to support this podcast please shop via our affiliate links.
HomeServerShow.com is hosted by KnownHost.com