Figure 1 -- SDM-R2 with Screws and thick tape; Fan Mounting Kit; Two 7mm SSB's; One 9.5mm SSB
In December 2013 I had the good fortune to test the Beta version of the Schoondoggy Drive Mount (“SDM-Beta”) that was designed to be used to mount additional two 2.5” drives or one 3.5” lower profile drive inside the HP ProLiant Gen8 MicroServer (“MicroServer”) next to the Power Supply Unit (“PSU”) of the MicroServer. I wrote about my tests in The Schoondoggy Gen8 Drive Mount for the HP ProLiant Gen8 MicroServer First Look .
I was convinced that the SDM-Beta was as nearly perfect as could be achieved but Schoondoggy proved me wrong by making 4 significant improvements that he incorporated into the pre-production/production version of the SDM (“SDM-R1”):
- Tabs have been lengthened
- Tabs have been move down slightly to move the top of the SGDM/SDM to the Gen8 frame
- Screw slots in Tabs have been lengthened to allow for adjustment of SGDM/SDM placement next to the PSU
- Drive holes have been countersink
I wrote up my review of the SDM-R1 in SGDM-SDM Pre-Production Review: HP ProLiant Gen8 MicroServer in February 2014.
Figure 2 -- SDM-R2 with Screws and thick tape plus Fan Mounting Kit in upper right
- Retains all of the capability of the SDM-R1 (countersunk mounting holes for two 2.5” drives or one 3.5” low profile drive; lengthen tabs; screw slots in the tabs to allow mounting adjustment)
- Removes the top bar that ran across the top of the SDM-R1 and thus lower the weight making the SDM-R2 easier to mount
- Adds a cushioned double sided tape square to provide additional stability alongside the PSU
- Adds three counter sunk holes to allow the mounting of a 60mm fan in the left 2.5” drive space
Figure 3 -- Two 7mm SSB's and One 9.5mm SSB
- 7mm Stacking Brackets (“SSM”) that enable the stacking of two 7mm 2.5” drives (like SSD’s)
- 9mm Stacking Brackets (“SSM”) that enable the stacking of two 9mm 2.5” drives (like SSD’s, HDD’s)
- Fan Mount Kit that contains screws, nuts, and washers to mount a 60mm fan on the left 2.5” drive bay
With the 7 and 9mm SSM’s one can mount four 2.5” drives on the SDM-R2 or one could mount a fan in the left 2.5” drive bay and two 2.5” drives in the right drive bay!
Hypothetically, one could mount four drives on the SDM-R2 using some combination of SSB’s controlled by the B120i or an add-on controller card and still have the ODD SATA port on the System Board available for either an ODD or 2.5” drive in the ODD bay area. Of course, many other configurations are possible!
Video 1 – SDM-R2 Introduction Part 1 – HP ProLiant Gen8 MicroServer
Video 2 – SDM-R2 Introduction Part 2 – HP ProLiant Gen8 MicroServer
Video 3 – SDM-R2 Introduction Part 3 – HP ProLiant Gen8 MicroServer
Check out the next page of this review. SDM-R2 Review: SSB -- HP ProLiant Gen8 MicroServer
Join us in the HSS Forums with any questions and/or comments on the above and other threads.
Fan mounting Kit, 7mm & 9.5mm Schoondoggy Stacking Brackets, SDM-R2, => Schoondoggy Store: http://homeservershow.com/hp-microserver-gen8-drive-bracket.html
SSB Schoondoggy Stacking Brackets – Forum Post: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/8993-schoondoggy-stacking-brackets/?p=97099
For good background information and accessory parts lists see: SDM-R1 SGDM-SDM Pre-Production Review: HP ProLiant Gen8 MicroServer http://homeservershow.com/sgdm-sdm-pre-production-review-hp-proliant-gen8-microserver.html
For good background information and accessory parts lists see: SDM-R1 Pre-Production -- Forum Post: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5960-hp-ms-g8-25-drive-bracket-prototype/page-4#entry76824
For good background information and accessory parts lists see: SDM-Beta The Schoondoggy Gen8 Drive Mount for the HP ProLiant Gen8 MicroServer First Look http://homeservershow.com/schoondoggy-gen8-drive-mount-hp-proliant-gen8-microserver-first-look.html
Brushless DC Blower Fan Model 6015S 0755-27936981 60x60x15mm http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/250957711173?lpid=82&chn=ps
Delta Electronics Blower Fan BFB0512LD 50x50x20mm 28dB 4.45CFM http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/BFB0512LD/603-1566-ND/2560689
Check out the Gen8 links: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/5639-proliant-microserver-gen8-links/
Check out the Gen8 Blog postings: http://homeservershow.com/tag/gen-8
Check out the MicroServer Blog postings: http://homeservershow.com/tag/microserver
Video Playlist – Schoondoggy Gen8 Drive Mount for HP ProLiant Gen8 MicroServer