Today we spend some time talking to Steve Dail (aka: Timekills) from our forums. We walk through his VM build, network, and HTPC. We also cover some SSD stuff and Tim talks about the new line up of Z68 boards from EVGA.
AnandTech SSD article
Netgear XAV5001 and 5004.
The 5004 has a 4-port switch as well as a standard one-port adaptor. You can buy them separately or as a two-pack.
Steve's (Timekills) Present Build
1) Case: NZXT Tempest EVO
fans: 2x140mm on top, 2x120mm in front (intake over hard drives), 1x120mm on side. Slight overpressure to reduce dust. Replaced top 140s with Scythe Slip Stream Kaze Maru2 (quieter):
2) Motherboard: Asus P7H55-M Pro
3) CPU: Core i3 530 (occasionally OC’d to 3.4Ghz)
-8 GB (2x4GB) G.SKILL Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D (1600)
-4 GB (2x2GB) Patriot Viper PVS34G1600ELK
12GB total (yeah - not matched, and with 12 GB have to run CPU at stock speed)
5) Hard drives:
a) OS: 2x160GB Seagate Momentus 7200.4 ST91604 in IcyDock MB982SPR-2S as RAID 1.
1) 6 x Samsung EcoGreen F4 HD2040UI 2TB in RAID 5 + spare (i.e. 5x2TB in RAID5 for 8TB usable plus one as spare. Taking that one out for shelf storage when I rebuild this week. Attached to HighPoint RocketRaid 2720 with 2 x Adaptec 2236600-R 0.5 meter fan-out cables (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816103193)
2) 2 x 1.5 TB WD Green in RAID0 for Virtual OS (soon to be replaced by new WD6000BLHX 600GB Velociraptor.)
3) 1 x 1.5TB WD Green for Virtual OS and Server 2008R2 (host) backup
4) 2 x 750GB eSata WD drive for Photo backup (rotated on and off-site)
6) Optical: LiteOn BluRay Burner (IHBS112-29)
7) PSU: Corsair TX650
As always we look forward to hear from you.
Call or send a text at: 818-527-5597
E-Mail - email@example.com
[blog RSS] Add the Blog feed to your RSS aggregator.