This week on BYOB we discuss news from Intel regarding their 3rd Gen SSDs and finally a USB 3.0 Motherboard connector spec! Tim gives us a lesson on network interface cards and WOL. Mike goes over his new build Project: Back in Black. Mike, Michael & Tim discuss some SSD system optimization techniques. Hope you enjoy the show and don't forget to post your comments on the forums.
Intel’s 3rd generation SSD revealed
Intel releases an internal connector spec for USB 3.0
Tim breaks down the NIC
Project: Back in Black
Mike’s new Lian-Li build
- Check to see if TRIM is enabled
- Check the board is in AHCI mode, if no option is available there is nothing you can do.
- Check if S1 and S3 sleep are supported in bios, I usually set S1 but S3 should be ok also....if they are not in bios there is nothing you can do
- Let W7 installer create and format the partition, all you need to do is hit NEXT even though the installer sees the drive and reports the drive space is RAW. W7 will create a primary partition and quick format all on its own.
- Use the W7 native AHCI driver for both AMD and INTEL systems.
- Verify Superfetch is disabled
- Verify Defrag scheduler is disabled
- Disable drive Indexing
- Set the power state to high performance and set the machine to never sleep, HDD power down to OFF but I do set the screen to go off after 30 minutes
- Alter the page file on the SSD to either a fixed size or disable if you have 6-12 Gigs of system memory. Also leave Hibernate alone.
- System restore can be left alone. But if you do regular backups via WHS its ok to disable it if you prefer.
- Change(move) the Temp Variables and Internet Cache files
Here are some great links
If there is something you would like us to cover on the show or have a question please feel free to contact us. We really like hearing from our listeners and your feedback makes for a better show!
E-Mail - email@example.com
[blog RSS] Add the Blog feed to your RSS aggregator.