I really like Synology DSM betas. I’ve been running them since I got into the Synology platform. It’s great to see what they are up to and test all the new features they will soon push out. Having said that, remember it’s a BETA! Don’t trust your production data to a beta. If you just have to test one of these new features please have a copy of your data in another location, if not two copies.
I was an iPhone user with my Synology box for a long time and was VERY surprised to see that they had Windows Phone Apps as well. Surprised and very happy. When Synology runs these betas of their DSM you can expect new apps and new features. These guys get mobile and they have for a long time. Look for the links below!
You should take a look at Synology. If you are curious you can get into a 2 disk model for as little as $189.99.
And now to the good stuff!
Bellevue, Washington—Synology America Corp. is excited to announce the public beta of the latest DiskStation Manager operating system, with DSM 4.3 beta. In this release, the DSM is building on its award-winning interface with a multitude of new and useful features for Synology network attached storage (NAS). Enthusiast users will find plenty in this beta to enhance their productivity.
“A number of popular applications have been revamped to take advantage of the DSM 4.3 beta,” said Jason Bonoan, Marketing Manager at Synology America Corp. “Application support has been strengthened, including new ways to manage and share media.”
With the new Cloud Station, the private cloud has gotten even better. Cloud Station, in DSM 4.3 beta, lets you choose which documents and/or file types you want to keep synched across devices. Additionally, Linux users now get a Cloud Station client as well.
Photo Station has been upgraded to version 6. Photo Station now allows photos to be viewed in a variety of dynamic ways, whether that be the mosaic-like wall format, or grouped via date; the photos in your library are front and center to the new Photo Station experience.
Synology’s Video Station has been updated too. In addition to support for Roku TV, videos now have more granular control; as well as definable permissions.
DSM 4.3 beta makes Synology among the first NAS manufacturers to offer TRIM support. TRIM allows for more efficient SSD maintenance; extending the useable life of solid-state drives, keeping performance at optimal levels.
Other notable features include:
- Offload Data Transfer (ODX) – Increases iSCSI storage performance when used with Windows 2012 Servers
- SSD caching from any tray in XS and XS+ models – Expand the pool of fast access data by using spare bays for SSD caching.
- Full Link Aggregation Support with Synology High Availability (SHA) – Enables significantly faster communication between SHA clusters.
- Now Cloud Station backup saves the portion of a file that has been changed, making for more efficient use of your storage
- Folder level link sharing. Generate a direct download link for individual files or whole folders.
- New mobile apps – New interfaces and features for iOS, and Android. Now Windows phone System users can get almost all of the same features and benefits as Android and iOS.
DSM 4.3 beta is Synology’s most versatile and dynamic version yet. See what else the beta has to offer and get started with it here:
Remember to test hard for a chance to win one of three DS213j’s.
Find out more at:
Applied Models for DSM & Packages
- 13-series : DS213+, DS413, DS213, DS413j, DS213air, DS2413+, DS713+, RS10613xs+, RS3413xs+, DS1813+, DS1513+, DS213j
- 12-series : DS712+, DS212, DS212+, DS212j, RS212, RS812, DS1512+, DS1812+, DS3612xs, RS3412xs, RS3412RPxs, DS112j, DS112, DS412+, RS812+, RS812RP+, RS2212+, RS2212RP+, DS112+
- 11-series : RS3411xs, RS3411RPxs, RS2211+, RS2211RP+, RS411, DS3611xs, DS2411+, DS1511+, DS411+II, DS411+, DS411, DS411j, DS411slim, DS211+, DS211, DS211j, DS111
- 10-series : RS810+, RS810RP+, DS1010+, DS410, DS410j, DS710+, DS210+, DS210j, DS110+, DS110j
Applied Models for Packages Only
- 9-series : RS409+, RS409RP+, RS409, DS509+, DS409+, DS409, DS209+II, DS209+, DS209, DS109+, DS109, DS409slim
- 8-series : RS408, RS408-RP, DS508, DS408