ioSafe announces the N2 NAS on Indiegogo
ioSafe is the king when it comes to protecting your local data from disaster. From the titanium Rugged Portable to the fireproof/waterproof Solo series ioSafe can safely protect your data from almost any type of disaster. Today they are upping the ante with the ioSafe N2, a disaster proof network attached storage (NAS) appliance that is powered by the Synology Diskstation Manager (DSM).
Yes, you read that correctly. ioSafe disaster technology wrapped around a Synology operating system. Could it get any better?
The high performance 2-bay N2 will provide up to 8TB of storage capacity and be equipped with a 2GHz Marvel CPU and 512MB memory. The N2 will use redundant hard drives as well as ioSafe’s patented DataCast, HydroSafe and FloSafe technologies to protect data from loss in fire up to 1550°F and submersion in fresh or salt water up to a 10 foot depth for 3 days.
The ioSafe N2 is scheduled to begin shipping in January 2013 in capacities up to 8TB. Pricing will start at $599.99 and it’s backed by the ioSafe Data Recovery Services and No Hassle Warranty. Funding of this project will start now on the Indiegogo platform. If you haven’t heard about Indiegogo just think Kickstarter and you’ll get the idea. That project can be found here: http://www.indiegogo.com/iosafe
Let’s talk stats and features.
Local and Remote File Sharing: Between virtually any device from any location online
* Cloud Station: File syncing between multiple computers and N2 (like Dropbox)
* iTunes Server
* Surveillance Station: Video surveillance application
* Media Server: Stream videos and music
* Photo Sharing: Photo sharing with friends and family
* Mail Server: Email server
* VPN Server: Manage Virtual Private Network
* Download Station: Post files for others to download
* Audio Station: Stream audio to smartphone (iOS/Android)
* FTP Server: Remote file transfers
* Multi-platform compatibility with Mac/PC/MS Server/Linux
* Dual Redundant Disk, RAID 0/1, Up to 8TB (4TB x 2)
* 2GHz Marvel CPU and 512MB memory
* Gigabit Ethernet Port
* Additional ports for USB 3, SD Memory Card
* User replaceable drives
* Protects Data From Fire: DataCast Technology. 1550°F, 1/2 hr per ASTM E119 with no data loss.
* Protects Data From Flood: HydroSafe Technology. Full immersion, 10 ft. 3 days with no data loss.
* FloSafe Vent Technology: Active air cooling during normal operation. FloSafe Vents automatically block destructive heat during fire by water vaporization – no moving parts
* Physical theft protection (optional floor mount, door security – coming Q1 2013)
* Kennsington® Lock Compatible
* 1 Year Data Recovery Service (DRS) Standard (upgrade up to 5 year)
* DRS included $2500/TB for forensic recovery costs for any reason if required
* 1 Year No-Hassle Warranty – Upgrades with DRS up to 5 years
* Operating: 0-35° C (95°F)
* Non-operating: 0-1550°F, 1/2 hr per ASTM E119
* Operating Humidity: 20% – 80% (non-condensing)
* Non-operating Humidity: 100%, Full water immersion, 10 feet, 3 days
* Size: 5.9″W x 9.0″H x 11.5″L
* Weight: 23 lbs (preliminary
Why choose a funding mechanism like Indiegogo? CEO Rob Moore tells us they are a small shop of about 25 people and the funding money raised will help bring the product to market. Contributions will not only let ioSafe know there is interest in the project but also help in component orders, production tooling, and emissions and test certification. You can get in on the project for as little as $1. A contribution of $25 scores a t-shirt and there are levels up to $259 that include coupons for current ioSafe products. It’s not until the $499 level that you get into the actual N2 product but it’s worth the contribution. You’ll be getting $100 off the price of the N2 with an added bonus of more storage capacity for every $500,000 raised. Every time the project hits an increment of $500k you get a bonus of 2TB up to 6TB added to your N2 system.
ioSafe technology powered by Synology. Head over to the funding project now! http://www.indiegogo.com/iosafe