Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jmwills

New Virtual Server Build - Need Opinions

5 posts in this topic

Okay it's time to consolidate two virtual servers into one.  This will mainly be used for testing and development so here are the two options/routes I can take:

Option #1: ASUS P9X79-R LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 32GB (8 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) .  I already have 32GB in place.

Option #2: ASUS X99-DELUXE LGA 2011-v3 Intel X99 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel  RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws 4 series 64GB (8 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4-17000).  I might have to adjust a little on board configuration for DIMM slots.

Both would take the same i-7 Processor.  The question in my mind is how much real difference will I see in the RAM?

Right now, I have two virtual servers that hold a total of 48 gigs (32 & 16).  I can decom both and combine, sell some parts and could possible come in around $700 for a total build for option #1 and around $1400 for option #2.

Any opinions?

Depending on the activity you should be able to over subscribe on the RAM but combine 2 existing builds into 1 when you already have 32gb in running currently by be a bit close.   On your 32 current system, use system monitor to see how much ram you might actually be using over a day to know how much head room you actually have.

Yes I probably need to rethink the Xeon route.

Both servers are consuming about 95% of the available RAM.

What is the role of each current virtual server? Apps, OS roles, and so forth.

What hypervisor are you using?