jetmech96

Server 2012 R2 now $349, buy now or wait?

15 posts in this topic

I am see that Windows 2012 Essential R2 is now down to $349 at both amazon and newegg.  Is this a preemptive step to clear out the 2012 version for the Server Next (10) Essentials?  If so should I wait and see or jump on the lower price or hold off.  I have been wanting to upgrade from WHS2011 for a while (especially after the meet up) and now the price is becoming way more tolerable.  I don't plan on spending that much again in the near future.  I don't want to drop the money to save $50, but end up being a cycle behind in a few months.  Any Thoughts?

1 person likes this

I'm not sure there will be a version of Server 10 that will have the client backup capability of WSE2012R2. If not, WSE2012R2 may be the last 'home server' version.

It's a good price; not sure if it will go even lower.

I'm not sure there will be a version of Server 10 that will have the client backup capability of WSE2012R2. If not, WSE2012R2 may be the last 'home server' version.

It's a good price; not sure if it will go even lower.

The Essentials role (if not SKU) is still present in Server 10, and slightly improved. So it's definitely sticking around.

Now, will there be a Server 10 Essentials SKU? That's hard to tell. I suspect there will be (it's a great selling point), but only time will tell.

That's good news. Hopefully, it will continue to be present into the release(s).

That's good news. Hopefully, it will continue to be present into the release(s).

Seconded. The Essentials SKU is by far one of the best decisions that Microsoft has made. But it's definitely behind releasing a HOME SERVER SKU. I still think they need that... but I've not been an MVP for a while...

Yeahhhhh, not getting my hopes up for a Home Server SKU.

or your breath.....

Outside of the business realm, this is strictly a tech enthusiast SKU, imo.  Home Server had to compete with Could Services and much less simpler solutions such as Synology, various Cloud Storage sites, etc.

I can say after making the upgrade to Essentials 2012R2, the joy of using RAID was rewarded.  Just install the driver for the card to access the GUI for the card and inspect the array.. 

How has the Essentials role been improved in Server 10?

I am see that Windows 2012 Essential R2 is now down to $349 at both amazon and newegg.  Is this a preemptive step to clear out the 2012 version for the Server Next (10) Essentials?  If so should I wait and see or jump on the lower price or hold off.  I have been wanting to upgrade from WHS2011 for a while (especially after the meet up) and now the price is becoming way more tolerable.  I don't plan on spending that much again in the near future.  I don't want to drop the money to save $50, but end up being a cycle behind in a few months.  Any Thoughts?

If S2012R2E has features/capabilities that you need/want now then investigate switching/upgrading.  

$349 is a good price for S2012R2E but if WHS2011 still does everything you want then it may be worth waiting to see how things shake out in the future.  Though I do suspect that BMR will not work well from WHS2011 with Win10 and future Win OS's.

I've kept my home production machine on WHS2011 for those reasons.

Make a list of the +'s and -'s for each OS to help you look at it objectively.

I'm sure its not within the MS licensing terms, but is there a chance that as companies move up to server 10 there may be a resale of older 2012R2 licenses on the market, or even cheap servers bundled with 2012 on them? 

Though I do suspect that BMR will not work well from WHS2011 with Win10 and future Win OS's.

This is one of the reasons I'm looking into other ways to back up my client PCs. I'm looking for a way that will be independent of the server.

How has the Essentials role been improved in Server 10?

It really hasn't.... 

There has been some cleanup to the Dashboard (like placing the "Safe mode" stuff in an intelligent location finally....), but nothing "major" from what I've seen.

But I also didn't check out the website (which may have been improved).

That is to say, there is little change between 2012R2 and Server 10.

Though I do suspect that BMR will not work well from WHS2011 with Win10 and future Win OS's.

Well, the WHS2011 restore disk DOES support UEFI.

That said... unfortunately, after WHSv1, none of the restore disks actually pull the EXEs from the server anymore. This means that they're not really updated and rely on the original restore disk code (for the most part... they CAN push updates to the image on the server (but the last time that happened appears to be Nov 2012... for WHS2011).

So if backups and BMR are a big deal to you, then you may want to upgrade to a newer version of "Windows Server Solutions" (aka

"Server Essentials") sooner or later.

This is one of the reasons I'm looking into other ways to back up my client PCs. I'm looking for a way that will be independent of the server.

This is also why it's sad that Microsoft removed the Windows Backup component from the client version of Windows. It was so very useful.

That said, Microsoft wants you to use "File History Backups" instead of a full BMR restore image anymore. But then considering how non-enthusiasts back up data ..... Which is to say... I've heard too many times: "Well, I won't lose any of my data when you work on my failing system, will I?" .............. And you can guess the answer ... and probably the question I ask in response... "Do you have a backup of it or have it stored anywhere else?" ....

Well, the WHS2011 restore disk DOES support UEFI.

That said... unfortunately, after WHSv1, none of the restore disks actually pull the EXEs from the server anymore. This means that they're not really updated and rely on the original restore disk code (for the most part... they CAN push updates to the image on the server (but the last time that happened appears to be Nov 2012... for WHS2011).

So if backups and BMR are a big deal to you, then you may want to upgrade to a newer version of "Windows Server Solutions" (aka

"Server Essentials") sooner or later.

"So if backups and BMR are a big deal to you, then you may want to upgrade to a newer version of "Windows Server Solutions"

.....because the EXE's 'ARE' being stored and updated with Server 2012, and are pulled for a BMR? please clarify, thanks!

I'll have to look into it more but as I said before I restored my Win8.1pro laptop last August from WHS2011 without issue.  It was a lifesaver at the time.

"So if backups and BMR are a big deal to you, then you may want to upgrade to a newer version of "Windows Server Solutions"

.....because the EXE's 'ARE' being stored and updated with Server 2012, and are pulled for a BMR? please clarify, thanks!

WHSv1 would pull the files over the network DURING the restore process, ensuring that even an old restore disk would have the newest files, IIRC.

WHS2011 and later ... it's all stored on the server... and only updated when you create a new boot disk....

It is just that it handles it a let less elegantly.... 

I'll have to look into it more but as I said before I restored my Win8.1pro laptop last August from WHS2011 without issue.  It was a lifesaver at the time.

Depends on how the laptop was setup...

But I've personally had issues getting the client restore (and the client backup) working with UEFI systems. 

But part of that is the UEFI firmware itself. While it's a standard ... not all of it is standardized. I've seen boards that would only boot from NTFS formatted flash drives, and some only from FAT32 formatted.... And I've seen some that will only boot from GPT flash drives...

It's a CF.