10 replies to this topic

#1 nrf

nrf

HSS Advanced

• Members
  • 698 posts
  • LocationNear Cincinnati

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:21 AM

since this part of the site is about the podcast, I'd like to make a few editorial comments.

having binge-listened to the casts recently, I got more than an earful about how great an MSDN subscription is and how hard it is to burn up the azure credits that come with it.

The MVPs in the podcast are blessed to have such access to Microsoft 'stuff'. Unfortunately, such a comprehensive MSDN subscription for us mortals comes only with enterprise arrangements or subscriptions to high cost versions of Visual Studio. The lesser 'operating system subscription' which is pretty basic is 6-7 hundred dollars. In either case, if you follow the license terms, any license keys you check out expire if you cease to subscribe to the plan. 

When Technet was around, the last year they changed the terms from perpetual keys to keys that expire if you don't renew, which is why I didn't renew that last year. Fortunately, with one year of technet + the 30 day extension at the end I was able to collect everything up thru Windows 8 and Office 2013 Pro Plus. I even got a key to turn Media Center up on my win8 box.

I considered myself 'charmed' with that one-time purchase. I am still 'evaluating' windows 8.1 with media center :) What it left me short on, though was the 2012R2 server releases.

I would like to point out that there is a program called Dreamspark from Microsoft. All you need is an email address from a .edu, and you are golden. Taking a community college course? It could pay off big-time...

If you were to jump in now, you could get keys to two levels of Server 2012, and three levels of Server 2012 R2, one of which is Essentials. I have gone through the license agreements and as I understand it, these OS releases are supposed to be run on hardware which had an original windows sticker attached. It also mentions using them on at most two computers, and that the usage is still legal after you leave school. There are some other terms I will not address here.

In any case, through this plan I have over the years accumulated (number of keys)

server 2008 (2)

server 2008r2 (3)

server 2012 (2)

server 2012r2 (3)

server 2012r2 w/update (3), one of which is Essentials

Given that MS is giving away Visual Studio now, the ton of other developer stuff may or may not be of interest to you. There is even an Embedded windows version there, not sure what I would do with that.

In any case, just a tip for server geeks who aren't blessed with MSDN access. Anyone up for a half-credit course?

nrf

Edited by nrf, 18 January 2015 - 11:24 AM.

Neal R. Fildes

N40L runs a firewall - 4GB ECC Ram, 250Gb Disk, ---- N54L runs Server 2012R2 Update w/Essentials Experience, 8GB ECC Ram - client backups, File Share, GeniusVision (security video), KnowledgeTree Community Edition, HDHR DVR (on hold), ---- Dell T-20 under construction, currently evaluating Server 2016 Essentials

Hooray for DreamSpark, miss that TechNet

#2 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Genius

• Donating Member
  • 16,090 posts

Posted 18 January 2015 - 11:34 AM

It looks like you would have to register for a new course every year. Wikipedia says student accounts remain active for 12 months.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#3 nrf

nrf

HSS Advanced

• Members
  • 698 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 12:36 AM

It depends on your school and on what you are looking for. My son has not had a class for three years and they have not kicked him out of his .edu account. In any case, how often does MS put out a server release? Once you have collected your swag things don't get exciting until the next major release.

Neal R. Fildes

N40L runs a firewall - 4GB ECC Ram, 250Gb Disk, ---- N54L runs Server 2012R2 Update w/Essentials Experience, 8GB ECC Ram - client backups, File Share, GeniusVision (security video), KnowledgeTree Community Edition, HDHR DVR (on hold), ---- Dell T-20 under construction, currently evaluating Server 2016 Essentials

#4 jmwills

jmwills

HSS Genius

• Donating Member
  • 9,165 posts
  • LocationSweet Home Alabama

Posted 19 January 2015 - 07:08 AM

My daughter in law graduated 10 years ago and still hasca valid .edu mail address.
Windows 10 Desktop - Intel D8H67BL, Intel i3-530 CPU w/16GB G-Skill DDR3 1333 RAMServer 2012R2 -Norco RPC 450B- SuperMicro D-1541 SOC w/128GB RAM – Roles: Hyper-V (SharePoint 2013/2016-DC-SQL-WSE 2012R2, WHS 2011 Test, Windows10,)<p>WHS2011-Norco RPC 450B - i3 SandyBridge - 8GB RAM Rocket RAID 2720 4 x 3TB WD RedTravel Laptop: Lenovo U310 13.3" Windows 10 Build 10544

#5 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Genius

• Donating Member
  • 16,090 posts

Posted 19 January 2015 - 09:33 AM

It depends on your school and on what you are looking for. My son has not had a class for three years and they have not kicked him out of his .edu account. In any case, how often does MS put out a server release? Once you have collected your swag things don't get exciting until the next major release.

Depending on what you want (server, desktop, SQL Server, etc.) this could be a good point. If you're account at MS does expire, you could register for a course every few years.

My daughter in law graduated 10 years ago and still hasca valid .edu mail address.

I know many universities do this for retired professors; wasn't aware some do it for graduates.... pretty nice.

#6 nrf

nrf

HSS Advanced

• Members
  • 698 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:53 AM

just saw that dreamspark is offering some free azure services to 'students' as well, FWIW.

Microsoft Azure for DreamSpark gets you started with the services you need to develop in the cloud at no cost:

• Azure App Service Web Apps is a part of a fully managed Platform-as-a-Service (PaaS) that enables you to build, deploy and scale web Apps in seconds.  Use ASP.NET, Java, PHP, Node.js or Python. Run popular web apps and CMS solutions including WordPress, Drupal, Joomla, Umbraco and DotNetNuke. Set up continuous integration and deployment workflows with VSO, GitHub, TeamCity, Hudson or BitBucket – enabling you to automatically build, test and deploy your web app on each successful code check-in or integration tests.

• Application Insights provides a 360° view across availability, performance and usage of your ASP.NET services and mobile applications for Windows Phone, iOS and Android platforms. Search and analyze your data to continuously improve your application, prioritize future investments and improve overall customer experience.

• Visual Studio Online is the fastest and easiest way yet to plan, build, and ship software across a variety of platforms. Get up and running in minutes on our cloud infrastructure without having to install or configure a single server.

Microsoft Azure for DreamSpark is available now for validated DreamSpark students at no cost and no commitment, with no time limit and no accidental charges. You can upgrade to more services later if you want, but you can host your web apps and websites today with the power of the Microsoft cloud behind you and it won’t cost you anything.

Neal R. Fildes

#7 Al_Borges

Al_Borges

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
  • 180 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:52 AM

I tried dreamspark for a couple of programs,   I am  part time instructor at the local community college.  

there is  one issue that you need to be aware of -  the software that you download is tied into your *.edu email address.  

So  programs like office 365 and such are less useful  if you don't use your edu email account all the time.

There might be a workaround that I am not aware of.  -  I couldn't find it. 

( by the way,  at least here in Indiana USA,     edu email accounts dont expire   My eldest daughter still has a valid email address from her university 12 years after graduation.   I guess this is a great way to request donations for alumini ! )

#8 nrf

nrf

HSS Advanced

• Members
  • 698 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 08:42 AM

yes we have discussed about the .edu in the past. fortunately we are all students in this forum :)

my son has an active .edu account even though he has not booked a class for a few years.

Neal R. Fildes

#9 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Genius

• Donating Member
  • 16,090 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 10:48 AM

It appears to be different in Canada. I'm not aware of anyone who has a .edu email.

#10 nrf

nrf

HSS Advanced

• Members
  • 698 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:55 PM

having a .edu mail address is only one way, if you try signing up you may find others

Neal R. Fildes

#11 Trimble Epic

Trimble Epic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 31 March 2015 - 08:24 AM

There was an issue brought up in one of the forums here that dreamspark keys can only ever be activated once... Make sure you have BMR backups...