Dave

Meetup 2014 Registration and Info

78 posts in this topic

Meetup 2014 Registration and Info

Registration is private and the link is only available at participating websites.  Signup Here

It's time for the 4th Annual Home Server Show Meetup!  This is the original name for the event but it will also be hosted by The Geeks Network which includes Surface Geeks, The Home Automation Forums, and Jim Collison's Gadget Geeks and Average Guy Podcast.

Meetup is more of a gathering of friends than a learning event.  Yes, we geek out with servers, tablets, and phones, but the camaraderie and community at these events is not easy to explain.

Meetup 2014 will be at the same venue as the past 2 events but I'm doing things drastically different this time.  Here are the major changes:

1. Registration will be limited to 55 attendees which includes speakers, organizers, hosts, etc. No printed ticket, no coming in the door! I can also verify ID on the registration list.

2. There will be a registration fee of $20 plus EventBrite Fees for all 55 attendees. This fee is not refundable.  I have to buy one too!

3. We will have the same great time but there is no guarantee of massive give aways like we have enjoyed in the past.

4. I have the event room scheduled the night prior so equipment setup will be much easier!

5. Fog and smoke generating equipment is not allowed.   ;)

Some of these measures are intended to ensure that registrants are actually on site for the event.  It is expensive for me to pay for all that stuff so I appreciate your understanding.  Otherwise, it will be the same great time!  This EventBrite signup will remain private so all those 55 seats are guaranteed to go to HSS, SG, and TAVG readers and listeners.  Geeky spouses are always welcome to sign up but I'll also allow spouses to pop in and say hello without having to take a seat or pay.

There is a discounted room rate at the hotel of the event if you mention Home Server Show.  I would get your room rate then try the mention.  This rate won't last forever though. Book soon.

Here are some past links for you to look at if you are on the fence.  I understand it is a commitment to pay for travel.  Jim and I have never had someone approach us after a meetup and tell us it was not worth every dime or minute spent.  I think you will feel the same way too.

The Post #meetup2013 Thread

HSS Meetup 2013 - Sept 21st - Indy

Video montage of photos from the 2013 Homeserver show /Average Guy / Surface Geeks Meetup

The HSS Meetup 2012 - Indianapolis

Itinerary

Friday, Sept 19th - Time TBA but generally we meet Friday night to eat and load the room.

Saturday, Sept 20th

8:00 - 5:00 - Meetup 2014

6:00 - 7:00 - Fry's Electronics

7:00 - 9:00 - Microsoft Store

9:00 Irish Pub (it's tradition)

Sunday, Sept 21st - Waffle House Breakfast. (A new tradition)

Airport

Use this thread in the Home Server Show Forums to arrange airport transportation and ride share.  If you are coming to the show and want some company on the drive please post in the forums.  A little gas money might not hurt!

If your flight arrives near another person you can also work on a carpool.  Several guys from past meetups have made airport runs on Friday.  The airport is a good 30 to 45 minute drive from the hotel.

Sponsors and Presenters

If you would like to sponsor part or all of this event please contact me at the e-mail address below.  I'll get with you right away.

If you would like to bring gear or present at this event please contact me at the e-mail address below.  Space is limited!

Thank you for allowing me to throw this event year after year and want to come back and do it again!  It's a blast.

Registration is private and the link is only available at participating websites.  Signup Here

David McCabe

PM me here in the forums or e-mail me:  podcast(.at)  homeservershow. com

1 person likes this

So ready for this!

1 person likes this

Truly hoping to attend this year. Really cool of you guys for putting this on!!

Ticket purchased....

1 person likes this

Bought my ticket, blocked my calendar, really looking forward to this!

1 person likes this

Ticket purchased............  Room Reserved............ Ready -- just need to load the car :)

Wow, so far 10 out of 55 tickets are out the door.  

Having other (home server / home storage / home entertainment) podcasters there last year was quite nice. Any podcast guests planned for this year?

I think Jim C. should do a session, even if short, about his tech scholarship series.

Can Christian come and do a security session? Or a big data session?

1 person likes this

Can't wait.

Need to learn more about my brand new synology DS-1813+, I just bought. I bought synology because of their sponsorship last year. Hope they and WD will be sponsoring again.

Dave, disappointed no smoke machines allowed. I so wanted to meet the local firemen again this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesome guys.  We are a 1/3 full!  If you are considering the meetup you probably should consider quicker!

Wish I could. I'm waiting on a couple of 'issues' that may make it un-doable.

Are you going to have a Skype cut in available?  I won't be able to make it again this year due to a wedding in Columbus the week before.

Are you going to have a Skype cut in available?  I won't be able to make it again this year due to a wedding in Columbus the week before.

That's a Great! Idea!

Maybe we could open up a Google hangout on a PC and people could check in and out throughout the day.

1 person likes this

I would be open to paying a "Video Registration" Fee as well.

I'm in!  Just heard the guys from Entertainment 2.0 are coming again.  Going to be a long wait for September!

2 people like this

+1 for Meeting Ikon.

1 person likes this

Certainly a photo op for us all +1

Oh sure, just drop a bomb like that and ruin everyone's day. Next you will be pointing to the curtain in the corner when The Great and Powerful Dave is behind the microphone...

1 person likes this

Well, it's not looking too good now. My wife will be having surgery (1 of the 2 'things' I mentioned previously), probably within the next month or 2. Then, of course, there will be the recovery. Every year it seems to be something. I must have been a real SOB is a past life :P

I just put in some vacation time for Friday and Monday. Once I find out if I am approved, I will get my ticket and reserve a room. Any idea if any rooms available at the discount rate? How many people have registered so far?

Well, it's not looking too good now. My wife will be having surgery (1 of the 2 'things' I mentioned previously), probably within the next month or 2. Then, of course, there will be the recovery. Every year it seems to be something. I must have been a real SOB is a past life :P

It's hell to get old, right?  Our best to your wife and hoping for a speedy recovery.

It's hell to get old, right?  Our best to your wife and hoping for a speedy recovery.

Like they say, "old age isn't for sissies" ;)

Yeah, she had surgery in January; took until the beginning of May to recover. Now, more surgery. However, we're going to insist on a couple of things that should help shorten the recovery this time.

Thanks for the good wishes.