schoondoggy

Easy mod to add more 2.5" or 3.5" drives to a T20

88 posts in this topic

The PERC H7xx cards also have full hardware RAID and caching.

H700 and H700P are pretty much the same; H710 and H710P are pretty much the same.  Main difference is the base model has 512MB of cache and the P has 1GB.

I was trying to move cables to use this 3.5" mount in the T20:

By adding this bracket the drive count could be:

Four 3.5" drives

Four 2.5" drives

Two 2.5" or one ODD in the ODD bay

Eight drives and a ODD or ten drives!

The Orico bay looks like a neat solution, does it require any special modification? Just use 1 existing hole then make another to secure it fully - although only from one side?

The Orico bay looks like a neat solution, does it require any special modification? Just use 1 existing hole then make another to secure it fully - although only from one side?

I think I had to move the cables to get things to fit right. In testing I think I had a screw on each side holding it. If I remember correctly, there was room to make holes in the Dell hardware to have four screws holding the Orico in place,

I think I had to move the cables to get things to fit right. In testing I think I had a screw on each side holding it. If I remember correctly, there was room to make holes in the Dell hardware to have four screws holding the Orico in place,

qs8u.jpg

In this photo it looks like the cables are fine, I guess they make it awkward to remove the drivebay? I only need to fit 2 drives so there's probably room to lay the cables above the drives

Hello,

I bought hdd cage KC230 with hdd caddy on ebay. I am still waiting for the delivery.

In the additional cage I would like to have the drives in the same direction as in the original bottom located cage, in which the hdds are upside down.

But most of you located the cage and the drives in the different direction - example below.

post-9432-0-65448700-1423033579.jpg

Great work everybody!  Great idea for getting these T20s up to snuff.  I got one particular question (as I am a tad bit of a greenhorn at modding cases) for anyone that used screws:  What length screws were used?  Also for Tommi, what hdd tray did you use?  It looks different than the others people are messing with?  I am definitely going to try this out.  Thanks for posting on this here.

Edited by biznitch

The cage is KC230.

The sleds are U6436 or YJ221.

The sleds from the T20 do not fit.

so this is all pretty impressive. I can imagine what a vehicle would look like if you guys were motor-heads instead...

I think one of these is going to be under my tree this christmas, but I don't envision shoe-horning it anytime soon.

it is good to know there is room for expansion even though dell doesn't think so.

thanks for the story and pictures!

There's some really nice ideas in this thread. I just want to add a little tip if you're mounting the Orico bay in the bottom 3.5" slide.

It only locates on 1 pair of pins in the drive sled which means the far end is unsupported.

If you put the drive screws in from the inside of the bracket they will slot into the grooves in the blue dell sleds and make it really secure.

IMG_20161201_185937.jpg

IMG_20161201_193007.jpg

On 9/11/2014 at 11:05 PM, schoondoggy said:

Dell T20 with room for six 3.5" drives, two thin 2.5" drives in a small Orico and two tall 2.5" drives in the ODD bay.

Is there space above the 2-bay caddy you added for another one if you remove this 1-bay caddy?  I'm trying to figure out how I can get 7x3.5" drives in this thing (1 boot/proxmox VMs, 6 in ZFS2 array for data).

Is there space above the 2-bay caddy you added for another one if you remove this 1-bay caddy?  I'm trying to figure out how I can get 7x3.5" drives in this thing (1 boot/proxmox VMs, 6 in ZFS2 array for data).

I don't currently own a T20, but I think you could mount the 7th 3.5" drive in the bracket that I had mounted the Orico in.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

On 9/12/2014 at 0:05 AM, schoondoggy said:

Prepping for the Meet Up, I pulled the cage and clean off the double sided tape. I cut to metal strips to add strength to the bottom and give me a mount point:

RHgtIn.jpg

I used my handy hole punch:

IjJjdg.jpg

I riveted the pieces in place measuring to be sure the width was the same top and bottom. Using a marker I set the points for the mounting holes. I had to punch the front hole in the case. The back bolt will mount through the mesh of the cage below:

LlIlYr.jpg

In place and two #6 bolts with lock washer nuts:

VYjJ1z.jpg

And filled with drives:

azzTgj.jpg

Dell T20 with room for six 3.5" drives, two thin 2.5" drives in a small Orico and two tall 2.5" drives in the ODD bay.

Of course you need to add a controller to have enough ports.

Can you provide some info on how your fabricated the metal strips?  I am going for this exact install approach on my T20 and like what you did!

On 5/2/2017 at 10:48 AM, n0012 said:

Can you provide some info on how your fabricated the metal strips?  I am going for this exact install approach on my T20 and like what you did!

I did not keep track of the measurements and I do not have the server now. The biggest thing I remember was that I needed to take lots of measurement to be sure the top and bottom bays were the same width so that the drive trays would slide in and out properly. I needed to adjust the length of the strips to be sure the width was correct. I used full height PC slot covers for the metal strips:

mWlqpu.jpg

I needed to adjust their width and length. There are many ways to trim metal for projects like these I like to use nibblers:

https://www.amazon.com/Cables-Go-29524-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B0001QNM7G

I used the hole punch shown above to make holes for the rivets and mounting screws.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have more questions.