And it mounts fine. Just need to install my RAID controller

qs8u.jpg[/url]

By adding this bracket the drive count could be:

Four 3.5" drives

Four 2.5" drives

Two 2.5" or one ODD in the ODD bay

Eight drives and a ODD or ten drives!

Nice work.

What's the array size that you plan to connect with 4 x 2.5" SSD/HDD's and total cost of this, including the extra RAID controller ? Bearing in mind that 1 x 3TB, NAS standard, HDD over here in the UK is about £90 -£100 ( I think that is roughly, very roughly, about $140 - $160)

Did you manage to get all the screws in without too much hole adjustment? I understand that the pictures show a dummy run with the items just placed in without securing.

Nice job...

Edited by Essexraptor

The Orico bracket is $6 at NewEgg. 

I intend to use a Dell H310 RAID controller, $75-100 on eBay.

I plan on putting four older 60GB SSD in a RAID0 to do some VM testing, in addition to four 2TB 3.5" drives in a RAID5. 

The screws on the drives aligned fine. I need to punch one hole on the Dell and I needed to use a shoulder screw on the back.

1 person likes this

They are too big!

Sent from my XOOM 2 ME using Tapatalk

What if you removed the tabs -- or bent them out of the way?  If those are 9mm SSD's in there now it looks like you may have room.

Good idea, I will check!

Stacking 4 VRs in that space could cause an overheating issue. They run pretty hot don't they?

Nice find schoondoggy!

After looking at these pictures I ordered a few Orico brackets myself.

Is there any chance to securely mount this bracket in order to handle 4x 2.5'' mechanical HDDs? Low rpm not standard 7.2k or 10k.

Also... any chance this could fit the 2 drive cage below it? If you remove the blue plastic caddies would it fit?

Do you happen to know any 2 drive bracket/cage that could fit the space this bracket sits? I mean... one for 2x 3.5'' instead of this one for 4x 2.5''.

As for the Orico, you need a shoulder screw on the back to slide into a slot and with a little modification you can get two screws in the front.

I am still looking for a 3.5" drive solution to hang off this location. Something like this may work:

http://imageshack.com/a/img197/3696/oglk.jpg

Hmm, not sure 4 drives will fit, more like 3, because of that cable.

What about the Orico into the 2-drive cages? If that fits I'm already planning for 8 SSF WD Red and 4 SSDs. That would be awesome and just 7.5W at idle!

What about the Orico into the 2-drive cages? If that fits I'm already planning for 8 SSF WD Red and 4 SSDs. That would be awesome and just 7.5W at idle!

I will be in the office tomorrow I will check it out.

What if you removed the tabs -- or bent them out of the way?  If those are 9mm SSD's in there now it looks like you may have room.

Three will fit:

n240.jpg

Four will require drilling:

vq1o.jpg

The Orico only hooks into two pins on the blue rails, so you would need to modify it for the bottom bay:

b1vv.jpg

z8o4.jpg

I think the top bay would be fine, but I think you would need to pull the PS to get it in.

Anyone else smell a massive overheating problem coming on with so many mechanical drives in a poorly vented Dell ? Maybe not so much with SSD's, but it's not a real world option. .. :(

Wow, it looks promising. Thanks schoondoggy!

But I don't think it can hold 4 spinning drives as it is, hanging on just 2 pins.

Why would you need to pull the PSU to fit an Orico into the top bay cage? It's easy to get it out by removing the front bezel.

Essexraptor, you're right. Any performance oriented drive will overheat in a chassis like this. I speak from my past experiences with Vostros and Optiplexes which share 95% of the internal design.

But the latest low rpm drives like the WD Red will do just fine. Also, most consumer SSDs won't have overheating problems, but I'm a little concerned about high capacity Intel enterprise SSDs which can get to 55 Celsius in no time and a cooling solution is needed.

It's just that with the Dell desk top towers and the odd server.... I think 2 ? that have come in for me to have a "look at".... they all have that frustrating Dell only modular design and construction. ie if it is not Dell made it's a nightmare to retro fit any other commercial gear. It all works well.... but normally only within the Dell design window.

It's an observation not fact, I'm sure this project will work out... and I'm interested to see the outcome :)

Not sure what your project is, but yeah... it's the way each and every OEM builds it's hardware. I remember that a few years ago there were some regulation efforts against this, but right now they're back to basics.

It's really hard to regulate internal design, besides standards, but the retention they were (and still are) trying to enforce are mostly software/firmware hooks.

Anyway, the T20 we're talking about is like 99% free of any of these practices, so not that much to worry about.

Wow, it looks promising. Thanks schoondoggy!

But I don't think it can hold 4 spinning drives as it is, hanging on just 2 pins.

Why would you need to pull the PSU to fit an Orico into the top bay cage? It's easy to get it out by removing the front bezel.

Essexraptor, you're right. Any performance oriented drive will overheat in a chassis like this. I speak from my past experiences with Vostros and Optiplexes which share 95% of the internal design.

But the latest low rpm drives like the WD Red will do just fine. Also, most consumer SSDs won't have overheating problems, but I'm a little concerned about high capacity Intel enterprise SSDs which can get to 55 Celsius in no time and a cooling solution is needed.

Sorry, I forgot that it pulls from the front. Unfortunately, the Orico is too tall to fit in the top bays,,,

schoondoggy How could it be too tall to fit if the top bay is 2x 3.5'' just like the bottom bay? The cage also includes a 2x 2.5'' or a slim ODD space, but the 2x 3.5'' should be take the same volume as the bottom cage.

Unfortunatelly I'll have to wait 15+ days to get the Oricos, as I couldn't find them here so I ordered directly from Orico TW.

Really appreciate your time and advices.

Anyone else smell a massive overheating problem coming on with so many mechanical drives in a poorly vented Dell ? Maybe not so much with SSD's, but it's not a real world option. .. :(

Yeah, that worries me too. Mind you, I'm a self-admitted HDD cooling fanatic.

The top and bottom cages different sizes:

The top:

ilxh.jpg

The bottom:

9bwy.jpg

Thanks again schoondoggy. With the plastic caddies in, it doesn't look that they're different size, but you're right, there's less space in the top bay cage.

You guys need a hobby.  :D

@jmwills Right. My latest hobby is to fit 8x 3.5'' hard drives in a T20 :)

Anyone else has any idea about that?

@schoondoggy Any chance your 4x 3.5'' adapter could fit?