LoneWolf

HP Microserver Gen8 Processor FAQ

626 posts in this topic

Note:  Something I did not realize until working more deeply today when replacing my Gen8 Microserver's processor.

If you *do* wish to use Bitlocker or some other types of hardware encryption, one of the general requirements is having a system with a TPM (Trusted Platform Module).  Plenty of modern enthusiast mainboards have this; the Microserver Gen8 does not.  It is a purchasable option, with a general price of around $45-50.

HP's part number is 488069-b21, which is meant for broad compatibility across the Gen8 line of servers.  The part is a small daughtercard  that connects to a TPM connector on the mainboard.  As part of the procedure, a plastic rivet is also used in the installation.  This rivet holds the TPM in place, and is designed to deform or break if the TPM is removed, to make you aware that security has been breached.  Once the TPM is attached, it is paired to the mainboard for life, and should not be removed.  Should HP need to replace your mainboard under warranty, you should notify them that you have a TPM so they may provide you with a new one for the new mainboard; the original TPM should remain paired with the original board, per HP's own instructions.

The AES New Instructions are still useful in some other applications, but if you are looking to do full disk encryption, you will wish to purchase the TPM module as well.

Edited by LoneWolf
2 people like this

Two additional "should-work" processors:

Intel Core i3-3220T (2.8GHz, 2 cores, 4 threads, 35w TDP, Ivy Bridge)

http://ark.intel.com/products/65694/

Intel Core i3-3250T (3GHz, 2 cores, 4 threads, 35w TDP, Ivy Bridge)

http://ark.intel.com/products/74745/Intel-Core-i3-3250T-Processor-3M-Cache-3_00-GHz

These processors are among the rare subset of Intel desktop CPUs that support ECC memory; you could think of them as very stripped-down versions of the Xeon E3-1220L v2.  Both of these processors lack Intel VT-d, so they're not super choices for VM hypervisor work; unlike the Xeon, they also lack Turbo Boost dynamic clock scaling for higher single-threaded performance.  They do bring Hyperthreading and QuickSync to the table.  If you're buying a brand new CPU, they wouldn't be on my list as you're already partway to the cost of a new or used Xeon E3; however, if you're pulling one from another system or come across one cheap, they will improve performance over the original processors.

Edited by LoneWolf
1 person likes this

I can verify that the Intel Core i3-3220T works fine - had one available so I upgraded a  G1610T Gen8.. (been running for 4 weeks with that, plus -16Gb of Kingston ram, a 2.5" ssd with server 2012 installed, 4 3Gb WD Red HDD's, and the HP DVD drive.)

2 people like this

The above named processor is discontinued.

Got mine (a Xeon E3-1265L V2)  this evening:

gallery_1229_67_22789.jpg

Edited by Joe_Miner

I can verify that the Intel Core i3-3220T works fine - had one available so I upgraded a  G1610T Gen8.. (been running for 4 weeks with that, plus -16Gb of Kingston ram, a 2.5" ssd with server 2012 installed, 4 3Gb WD Red HDD's, and the HP DVD drive.)

Too bad your hard drives are so small ;)  (sorry, couldn't resist) :D

Too bad your hard drives are so small   (sorry, couldn't resist) :D

Its a fair cop.. :) .....off course it should read "3Tb drives" ... 

Sweet, Joe!

I've had my 1265L v2 for about a month, it's been a great upgrade.  I do think it is probably the best CPU upgrade for the MS Gen8, followed closely by the 1260L, and then (if low power is a concern) the 1220L v2.

The V3 is a 1150 pin socket cpu.

The G8 is a 1155 pin socket. So it will not work.

Charoit, refer to this note in the FAQ.

"--Xeon E3 v3 (Haswell) processors are a different architecture with a different socket (Socket 1150) and are *not* supported."

Thank you so much guys!

Keep it up.

I am receiving the Micro Gen 8 in couple of days :)

The E3-1260L is a 45W TDP that was first reported used by Therealjmc (check the Gen8 Links Page for a link to his first reporting -- there's also a table linked to from that page that shows all the reported CPU's that are running in the Gen8 and their TDP's)

You'll want to set your BIOS cooling at "Increased Cooling" -- I don't think 45W TDP is cooled well under heavy load at the lower "Optimal Cooling" setting

If you were planning to use it as an HTPC sometime in the future and very low noise is paramount to you then the E3-1220L at 20W TDP that Schoondoggy first reported using would be a better alternative, IMHO, and would/should work well (or at least better) at the "Optimal Cooling" setting (check the chart)  -- also check the temps that PsiKey and other's are getting with the 1.32 firmware http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6032-g8-microserver-be-aware-of-fan-issue-add-in-cards/?p=76151 

Wonderful thanks for the info. I will be using it in a HTPC scenario but I may turn off the turbo to keep the temps down. I am going to go to the effort of lapping my heatsink as John did as this probably will aid the temperatures. I'm going to just use the optimal setting as the box lives right beside my sofa. But I think with top quality paste , lapping and the turbo off I should be ok. Otherwise I may upgrade to one of the Dell heatsinks floating around that look to have the right hole dimensions and clearance. I think these can cope with 130w TDP when well ventilated. I figure 8 2.4 threads can easily transcode 2x 1080p movies at once and this is probably the most load I will experience. Also I've seen this and have a sneaking suspicion that the hole dimensions are perfect.
gelid-1u-slim2.gif

Edited by stix01

I would check the heatsink 1st, to see if it actually needs lapping.

I would check the heatsink 1st, to see if it actually needs lapping.

I certainly will but I am of the thinking that they all could probably do with a surface improvement.

If you find that yours is actually flat and true you could just jump to the 400 grit stage to give it a nice polish :)