9 replies to this topic

#1 kknn

kknn

HSS Member

• Members
    • 11 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:44 AM

Hello,

This website has been down for a couple of days now. Lots of useful infos there about upgrading Microserver Gen8. Question is, was he hosting this on his and it crashed ?

┬ÁServer Gen8 - Xeon E3 1265Lv2 - 16 GB RAM - LSi 9260-4i RAID6

#2 FiLiNuX

FiLiNuX

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 249 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 10:27 AM

Hello KKNN,

Have you ever used a page like the one below?  The name says it all! 

http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com

It does show the URL you posted as down though.  

#3 kknn

kknn

HSS Member

• Members
    • 11 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 03:46 PM

Was just a way to drag the website owner here, obviously it didnt work...yet.
    Sorry if i hurt anyone.

┬ÁServer Gen8 - Xeon E3 1265Lv2 - 16 GB RAM - LSi 9260-4i RAID6

#4 FiLiNuX

FiLiNuX

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 249 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 05:02 PM

I don't think it hurt anyone just make sure you don't violate the acceptable use policies "website owner dragging" rules.  :)  

Have you considered sending the website owner a email asking about the state of the site?  

#5 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Genius

• Donating Member
    • 16,090 posts

Posted 28 September 2013 - 02:38 PM

Still down. Guess he didn't pay his hosting bill ;)

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#6 b3n

b3n

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 08:17 AM

Hey!  Between the captchas and activation links I was finally able to create an account on hss!  I moved and it was pretty difficult to get internet at my new house, but I'm back up now.

#7 FiLiNuX

FiLiNuX

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 249 posts

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:35 AM

It worked KKNN!!! You dragged him here!!  Well now if I ever need to drag or trap me a web page owner I know how to do it :) 

B3N,

I LOVE the new headline on your site!!  :)   Glad you got signed up here @ HSS & hope to hear more from you in  the future.   I feel your pain on the limited internet situation as I live in a rural area as well.  There is a new satellite provider who is a LOT better then the previous ones I had looked at (the name isn't coming to me at the moment) whos bandwidth restrictions & cost were much improved over others I had seen but still a bit short of hard lines.  Verizon 4G LTE is nothing to laugh at in some areas.  I have not used one of their new external mounted antennae & router solutions (yet) but on a Galaxy Nexus I have gotten down speeds that are great & up speeds that blast even the best home providers out of the water.   

Best of luck with everything in the new place!!

#8 b3n

b3n

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 2 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

Thanks, FiLiNuX!  The best sattelite plan I found was from Excede offering unlimited between something like 12am and 5am but when I pop in my zipcode it says they've suspended new signups due to strong demand.  Verizon LTE is the fastest internet connection I've ever had at 12 down 8 up, too bad the bandwidth is so limited.  I could use up all the bandwidth for the month in a few hours (I forgot to turn my Eye-Fi off for a few minutes and it ate up nearly 3GB!).  I need to reconsider my CrashPlan backup strategy... I might have to go back to getting a couple 4TB drives and swapping them out to an offsite location every week.

#9 FiLiNuX

FiLiNuX

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 249 posts

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:03 AM

I know some people are still on unlimited for data (grandfathered) with Verizon & have rooted their android phones and therefore can use USB tethering like a internet connection for free.  Of course you still don't want to blast through 20 GB a month and draw attention to yourself but it could be a backup 4 - 8 GB a month.  That is the  satellite service I was thinking of ( Excede - the little alien is wearing my shirt :) and as far as Satellite service/pricing goes they look great.  I know a few people in remote Alaska who were looking into using them.  

Im going to pull a blanket over my head when I say this to avoid all the rotten vegetables that are going to be thrown at me but I am not a fan of all the online backup services.  I guess its just me not always trusting who is on the other side of the circuit and what COULD happen and what they (employees) COULD do once they have your data.  I think implementing your own offsite plan is a grand idea with your current situation and with the expected bandwidth cost it would negate some of the hardware purchase price.

#10 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Genius

• Donating Member
    • 16,090 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:02 PM

I'm with you on the online backup, particularly as you can never be certain about where (as in what country) your data is actually being stored. Different countries have different privacy rules, so you never know.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

Skins By Invisioneers