•  

• Photo

Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 Install Fix for HP Microserver and Integrated Network Card

• Please log in to reply
    36 replies to this topic

#1 HSS-Dave

HSS-Dave

Founder

• Administrators
    • 2,058 posts
    • LocationIndiana

Posted 11 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

While podcasting tonight Joe_Miner told me that there is now a fix for the stalled install on the N54L and R2.

http://h20000.www2.h...5&swEnvOID=4139

I have yet to try but looks promising.

Host of The Home Server Show Podcast.
    Windows Home Server MVP 2009 - 2013 Surface MVP - 2014

#2 blackforce

blackforce

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 6 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 05:20 AM

Doesn't fix it for N40L. If installed in safe mode and then rebooted the NIC then shows no link.

#3 direktorn

direktorn

HSS Member

• Members
    • 47 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 06:30 AM

Does NL40 and 54 uses the same NIC? If not that might be the reason why its not working on NL40.

#4 blackforce

blackforce

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 6 posts

Posted 15 September 2013 - 10:33 AM

The N40L according to various sites uses the NC107i Network Card

#5 blackforce

blackforce

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 6 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 07:33 AM

Anyone else verify this works on the 54L?

#6 Cwmdu86

Cwmdu86

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 10:37 AM

Didn't work for me on the n54l. Card is recognised by the operating system but it doesn't recognise a cable connected. I installed another card until it's sorted.

Edited by Cwmdu86, 16 September 2013 - 10:37 AM.

#7 Mr_Smartepants

Mr_Smartepants

HSS Champion

• Members
    • 352 posts

Posted 16 September 2013 - 01:09 PM

Did you update the firmware for the NIC as well as the driver?  I imagine the two work hand-in-hand.

HP EX490 (E5200 CPU & 4GB RAM upgrades) WHS2011. HP N54L Microserver (4GB RAM) WHS2011.

DriverPacks.net Administrator and Team Lead. Some heroes don't wear capes, they wear dog-tags & Kevlar!
    Stand-Alone Driver Disk (SAD2) update utility for DriverPacks.net (installs drivers automatically on all versions of Windows from 2000 to 2012).

#8 Anji

Anji

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:04 AM

Hello,

As everyone, I can't install the WS2012ER2 on my N40L. I wanted to test myself the fix but I could not find the workflow to follow in the unpacked HP NIC Documentation. There is not README.TXT after unpack ...

Can someone help me to find it or post me here the workflow ?

Also, I am not familliar with firmware update and so on. Don't hesitate to give me a lot of details ^^.

Thanks in advance !

(Sorry for my english, I am not a native speaker)

#9 Anji

Anji

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 9 posts

Posted 22 September 2013 - 04:15 PM

This is what I've done, tell me if I did something wrong and how to did it in a better way because it still don't work :

• I donwload the two item given on the link (firmware update et driver).
    • I install Windows Server 2012 Essentials (it works).
    • I run the firmware update. It tells me that the good drivers wasn't install (I don't remember exactly the message but it was something like that).
    • So I run the driver installer. It tells me that there was no hardware compatible installed (or something like that) but that I could still install it, (what I did)
    • I run again the firmware. This time it tells me that the firmware were up to date (strange ? it's not supposed to be a new driver that correct the bug ?) but that I could still run the upgrade (what I did).

Both install works well.

Then, I start again a new installation of Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2. Same problem, stuck at 82% >_<.

#10 fejhog

fejhog

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 5 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:13 AM

I also was unable to get this to work.  I guess I'm not entirely sure on the full process though to implement.  Here is what I did:

1. Disabled the NIC
    2. Installed 2012 Essentials R2
    3. Completed install
    4. Downloaded the driver and firmware

This is where I'm stuck.  If I enable the NIC it locks up.  Do you have to install the driver first and then enable the NIC and then install the firmware?  I did not try this yet - I will tonight and report back - but if anyone has any confirmation let me know.  Thanks!

#11 jmwills

jmwills

HSS Genius

• Donating Member
    • 7,567 posts
    • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 25 September 2013 - 08:27 AM

Not that I have been working on this issue, But I would think that updating the NIC Driver before enabling it or possibly doing this in Safe Mode might be a remedy.

Windows 7 Desktop - Antec 100 Case, Intel D8H67BL, OCZ 550W PSU, Intel i3-530 CPU w/16GB G-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM
    Server 2012 - Fractal Arc Midi, CoolerMaster M600 PSU, ASUS P8H67V, Intel i5-2500 CPU w/32GBG-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM, 90 GIG OCZ SSD OS Drive – Roles: Hyper-V (WHS-SharePoint-DC-SQL-Exchange-WSE 2012R2), Print Server - Rocket RAID 2720 4 x 3TB WD Red
    HTPC Build - Silverstone GD05 Case,x 2
    Travel Laptop: Lenovo U310 13.3" Windows 8.1

#12 fejhog

fejhog

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 5 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 09:52 AM

jmwills - Thank you for the idea.  I will try just installing the driver first and then enabling the NIC.  Don't know why I didn't even try this - just used to installing the driver when the hardware is detected!  If that doesn't work I'll try the safe mode approach.

If I get to this tonight I will post back my results.

Thanks again!

Jeff

#13 Anji

Anji

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 9 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 12:50 PM

I also tried that (install R2 with NIC Disabled and then update the firmware and install the driver). Both installations failed because the OS is not supported by the installer (a message like that).

I finally bought an external network card.

Let met know if you get success in your installation.

#14 jmwills

jmwills

HSS Genius

• Donating Member
    • 7,567 posts
    • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 25 September 2013 - 01:28 PM

External?  Why not use an internal NIC?  those can be had for around $30.

Windows 7 Desktop - Antec 100 Case, Intel D8H67BL, OCZ 550W PSU, Intel i3-530 CPU w/16GB G-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM
    Server 2012 - Fractal Arc Midi, CoolerMaster M600 PSU, ASUS P8H67V, Intel i5-2500 CPU w/32GBG-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM, 90 GIG OCZ SSD OS Drive – Roles: Hyper-V (WHS-SharePoint-DC-SQL-Exchange-WSE 2012R2), Print Server - Rocket RAID 2720 4 x 3TB WD Red
    HTPC Build - Silverstone GD05 Case,x 2
    Travel Laptop: Lenovo U310 13.3" Windows 8.1

#15 Anji

Anji

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 9 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 04:26 PM

jmwills : My mistake, I meant say third party network card, not external ^^. 

I bought this one which is directly recognized by Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 without requiring any drivers : http://www.amazon.fr...s/dp/B001OQSZQ0 (about 12$ on amazon.com).

I was not clear in my last message, I didn't try to update the firmware and install the driver in safe mode. Only in classic mode (OS not supported). I'm interested to know if it works in safe mode.

Edited by Anji, 25 September 2013 - 04:33 PM.

#16 simon

simon

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 4 posts

Posted 25 September 2013 - 11:47 PM

jmwills : My mistake, I meant say third party network card, not external ^^. 

I bought this one which is directly recognized by Windows Server 2012 Essentials R2 without requiring any drivers : http://www.amazon.fr...s/dp/B001OQSZQ0 (about 12$ on amazon.com).

I was not clear in my last message, I didn't try to update the firmware and install the driver in safe mode. Only in classic mode (OS not supported). I'm interested to know if it works in safe mode.

hi

Why not update the firmware and the driver in normal mode , then upgrade the system to R2 in windows server 2012?

but, if upgrade to R2,the NC107i will not work, so far until now.

I installed a wireless usb adapter instead.

Hope HP will solve the problem.

#17 Anji

Anji

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:37 AM

On WS2012 Essentials (not R2 !), as I said, the firmware updater told me that it was up to date and the driver installer told that there was no hardware compatible installed.

I didn't try a migration to R2 but the firmware is independent from the OS so I don't think it will solve anything (but may be I am wrong).

My installation works with card so I will not try anything else. And I think the new NIC is more efficient that the embedded one. I didn't try yet but I had bad performance on WS2012E with the embedded NIC. 40mbps where my desktop PC is up to 180 ^^.

EDIT : a friend of mine get success in installing WS2012E R2 with the embedded NIC on N54L. He installed the OS with NIC disabled. At reboot, he enabled the NIC and boot in safe mode. He updated the driver manually (extract the archive and update from the devices panel). May be it works on N40L too but I won't try ^^.

Edited by Anji, 26 September 2013 - 02:05 AM.

#18 fejhog

fejhog

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:31 AM

I was able to successfully install using the technique mentioned by Anji.  The problem is that when the cable is plugged into the NIC no network connection is detected.  I know the cable is not bad as I'm using it successfully on a different device.  I then tried to install the firmware but it said that everything was up to date which I find strange.  Anyway below is a summary of what I have done to get to this point.

1.  Disable NIC in the BIOS
    2.  Install 2012 Essentials R2
    3.  Enable NIC in the BIOS
    4.  Boot into safe mode (I believe I did the first option and not the Safe Mode with networking)
    5.  Reboot - R2 successfully boots up and the NIC is installed and detected in device manager.
    6.  Tried installing firmware but I received a message that it was up to date.
    7.  No network connection is detected.

At this point I'll probably pull out a NIC I have in my N40L and install it in the N54L and see if I can move on past this so I can get the machine up and running.

Thanks for all the help!  Let me know if anyone has any questions.

#19 Anji

Anji

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 9 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 07:57 AM

You tried to install the new driver manually (http://www.tp-link.c..._1910010908.pdf, 1st image on top of p18) ? 

Edited by Anji, 26 September 2013 - 07:58 AM.

#20 fejhog

fejhog

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 5 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 08:08 AM

Yes sir.  I updated it in Safe Mode in Device Manager and browsed to a flash drive that had the driver on it.  It installed correctly and even changed the name of the Device (I don't recall exactly what it was but it went from a Broadcomm device to and HP device).

Skins By Invisioneers