•  

• Photo

Windows Server 2012 Essentials UR3 coming soon, will it finally include a DNS fix (for skipped domain join clients)?

• Please log in to reply
    8 replies to this topic

#1 tinkererguy

tinkererguy

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 262 posts
    • LocationConnecticut

Posted 24 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

You may recall this popular thread:

Remote WS2012e client PCs (that skipped domain join during install) can't surf after Update Rollup 2, here's the fix

It appears the wait for a fix may soon be over! Listen to SBSDiva's latest podcast to hear the full scoop on what's coming in UR3, as well as in the major new R2 release!

http://homeserversho...r-show-234.html

Great episode there, David McCabe and Susan Bradley!

I also wrote up a quick summary here. Curious if others are looking forward to UR3, or just ready to move straight to R2, particularly if you're blessed with MSDN.

Paul Braren, TinkerTry.com

#2 Jason

Jason

HSS Elite

• Members
    • 1,138 posts
    • LocationBentonville, AR

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:18 AM

Been working with MS Sr Engineer on their DirectAccess team for 3 weeks to resolve a DA issue. They insist it won't require a reinstall but rather are using my unique scenario to gather data on something they've not seen before.

Robert Pearman (Titlerequired.com) has already confirmed same issue was resolved by an OS reinstall. If so, I may just use this opp to upgrade to R2 instead.

#3 tinkererguy

tinkererguy

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 262 posts
    • LocationConnecticut

Posted 25 August 2013 - 10:02 AM

... or just ready to move straight to R2, particularly if you're blessed with MSDN.

I should have phrased that differently, since it appears there might be no direct migration path from "Windows Server 2012 Essentials" to "Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials" as discussed in the podcast. Not that terrible, since I've given up on trying to save client PC backups, starting all over with each release (but keeping my ~3TB of shared data between versions).

Been working with MS Sr Engineer on their DirectAccess team for 3 weeks to resolve a DA issue. They insist it won't require a reinstall but rather are using my unique scenario to gather data on something they've not seen before.

Robert Pearman (Titlerequired.com) has already confirmed same issue was resolved by an OS reinstall. If so, I may just use this opp to upgrade to R2 instead.

Excellent article you refer to there Jason, by Robert at:

http://titlerequired...family-servers/

Thank you!

#4 Jason

Jason

HSS Elite

• Members
    • 1,138 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 11:21 AM

You're welcome. Though exercise caution when implementing DA as it is prone to stop working unexpectedly after months of stability. In my case, even most experienced MS engineers have been unable to determine cause of issue despite uninstalling and reinstalling DA role on server. And these are the guys that developed DA. Scary, I know....

#5 Poppapete

Poppapete

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 269 posts
    • LocationBrisbane Australia

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:56 PM

The article by Robert Pearman is must read for anyone (like me) who is not an expert in the MS server field. I am truly enlightened re the DNS resolution interactions of Client, Server and Router. The diagrams are excellent. A picture is worth a thousand words. Thank you Jason and Paul for the links.

Server: OS-Windows Server 2012 R2 Essentials with update/ CPU: E3-1230 V3 3.3 GHz/ Chassis: 732D4-500B (MicroServer)/ Motherboard: X10SLH-F (MicroServer) / RAM: 1600MHz ECC 4 X 8GB UDIMM/ HDD: Samsung 256GB 840BW SSD for C: and 13TB of Storage with 4 X 3TB WD Blacks and 1 X 2TB WD Green using DrivePool for Data

#6 Jason

Jason

HSS Elite

• Members
    • 1,138 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 04:34 PM

Honestly I set all my client machines to DHCP for IP and DNS (obtain automatically) and disable to Windows Server LAN Configuration service and there's no issue.

#7 tinkererguy

tinkererguy

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 262 posts
    • LocationConnecticut

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:19 PM

I agree, it is usually that simple!

(others have hard coded to Google DNS at 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, an alternative approach).

Exceptions are hidden devices, so they can't (easily) be tweaked via the GUI. What if they spring back to life when reinstalled, but the DNS IP is hard coded? Such as the Yoga 13 story I started this article with:

TinkerTry.com/windows-server-2012-essentials-ur3-coming-soon-will-finally-include-the-dns-fix-i-requested/

another nuisance is with every update rollup, which means the fixes have to be done again.

I admin about 8 systems that aren't in my house (client connector over VPN), so it's a bit of a hassle when their internet breaks.  Looking forward to this longstanding issue going away for good.  Just one less point of failure!

#8 Jason

Jason

HSS Elite

• Members
    • 1,138 posts

Posted 04 September 2013 - 05:15 AM

FWIW if you have 8 client PCs connected via VPN already then running DirectAccess on the server would be ideal. It's essentially a persistent, client-less VPN connection to the domain via Internet.

#9 tinkererguy

tinkererguy

HSS Pro

• Donating Member
    • 262 posts
    • LocationConnecticut

Posted 04 November 2013 - 12:48 AM

FYI, Microsoft did acknowledge and (sort of) resolve this DNS issue in the now released UR3:

http://homeserversho...-heres-the-fix/

Skins By Invisioneers