• Please log in to reply
    379 replies to this topic

#341 c0mm0n

c0mm0n

HSS Star

• Members
    • 53 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:26 AM

yes 25% isn't good but under normal ambients I see more like 13% which is reasonable (with the adjusted ilo as well these would be further reduced if you want to go there - I'd guess 8% fan speeds at 23 degrees or 15% fan speeds at the the 28 degrees you currently get 37% at (massive difference)) - if you insist on keeping your incompatible HDDs that could be your only real option.  If the HDDs are telling the server they're at 50 degrees it's completely understandable (and very much desirable) for the server to try and cool them, given what you spent on the server I'd be buying a couple of reasonably cheap known working HDDs to remove this problem...

You'd probably see 6% fan speed from cold in ESXI but I bet it raises up to at least 12% when everything starts to heat up, compared to the standard AHCI or ACHI+adjusted ilo options there's probably not much between them...

Obviously you should confirm when you boot the server that the J06 rom version shown at the top of the screen definitely reads a date of 06/06/2014, if not then update right away - there are huge improvements with this rom version.  I just bought another Gen8 microserver and had to try the J06 update more than once for it to update so it's worth checking even if you tried the update already, if I can find a few minutes spare at some point I think I might load the adjusted ilo on the 2nd server and maybe try it in raid mode as well (not that I ever plan to use the raid mode) just to get some fan speed comparisons at different temperatures for each of the possible server configurations...

Thanks, for the feedback, gonna check the bios again.

i'm not sure what you mean by "incompatible HDD", 2x3tb Red are compatible afaik, it's just ILO that is badly working without raid card.

Edited by c0mm0n, 23 July 2014 - 09:26 AM.

#342 c0mm0n

c0mm0n

HSS Star

• Members
    • 53 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:57 AM

@ad-d

What do you mean with 6/6/14 ?

I got his :

iLO-Integrated-Remote-Console---Server--

#343 ad-d

ad-d

HSS Member

• Members
    • 41 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:02 AM

Thanks, for the feedback, gonna check the bios again.

i'm not sure what you mean by "incompatible HDD", 2x3tb Red are compatible afaik, it's just ILO that is badly working without raid card.

By incompatible HDD I mean for whatever reason the HDDs and the server don't appear to be talking to each other properly (the ilo is showing 50 degree readings for the HDDs in your screenshots, I'd be surprised if they are actually at 50 degrees).  My memory is a little hazy on this as it didn't really affect me but I'm sure I read somewhere on here that some HDDs (SSDs in this case) had a sensor that the gen8 wasn't reading properly in raid mode or in some cases no sensor on the HDD at all and I think that was causing the gen8 to read them as 50 degrees with high fan speeds caused by this.  There's even a thread below about what SSDs were known to report temperature correctly to keep fans at sensible speeds.  I you have some other HDDs maybe try one of those or one of these known good drives for a test and see how it responds under the same conditions.

http://homeserversho...t-for-gen8-fan/

• Joe_Miner likes this

#344 c0mm0n

c0mm0n

HSS Star

• Members
    • 53 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:05 AM

Everything is working great when the B120i is used (and the OS sees it).

So I assume, that's more on HP side than mine, am I wrong ?

#345 ad-d

ad-d

HSS Member

• Members
    • 41 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:06 AM

@ad-d

What do you mean with 6/6/14 ?

I got his :

OK upgrade that straight away, should be 06/06/2014 for the latest version.  There were significant fan speed improvements made in the latest version for AHCI users, not sure if it helps for the raid users but definitely better to be on the latest J06 when trying to get things working as you want.

• Joe_Miner likes this

#346 c0mm0n

c0mm0n

HSS Star

• Members
    • 53 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:10 AM

OK upgrade that straight away, should be 06/06/2014 for the latest version.  There were significant fan speed improvements made in the latest version for AHCI users, not sure if it helps for the raid users but definitely better to be on the latest J06 when trying to get things working as you want.

There's no 6/6/14 J06 at HP, just checked again :

Pilotes-et-logiciels-pour-Serveur-HP-Pro

Edited by c0mm0n, 23 July 2014 - 10:10 AM.

#347 ad-d

ad-d

HSS Member

• Members
    • 41 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

Everything is working great when the B120i is used (and the OS sees it).

So I assume, that's more on HP side than mine, am I wrong ?

Not sure, I don't use the built in 'raid', it's not proper hardware raid and just one more thing to go wrong in my case, I want the OS to have direct access to the drives without having to bounce through the 'raid' stuff and all the potential problems that causes.  Maybe someone else who actually uses the B120i can help if it's behaving fine most of the time, just reminded me of the problems those SSD users were having and the high fan speeds because the temperature wasn't being read properly.  Try using crystal disk or something to check the actual drive temperatures and see if it matches what the ilo thinks they are?

Might be worth another test with AHCI mode once you've updated to the 6/6/2014 J06 (and possibly adjusted ilo if you want to go there), you'd get much reduced fan speeds than with 11/9/2013 and might not be worth all the hassles the B120i seems to be causing - as I said before expected 8% fan speeds at 23 degrees or 15% fan speeds at 28 degrees are likely and that's going to be about as quiet as it can go I'd have thought...

There's no 6/6/14 J06 at HP, just checked again :

Pilotes-et-logiciels-pour-Serveur-HP-Pro

I guess they still haven't updated the site, see here:

The new J06 ROM has been released to the FTP

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/sc-windows-fw-sys/p1544720401/v98895 (cp023765.exe - Windows)

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/sc-linux-fw-sys/p1145667783/v98896 (CP023766.scexe - Linux)

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/pubsw-windows/p700205933/v98907 (SP66986.EXE - Softpaq)

• Joe_Miner likes this

#348 c0mm0n

c0mm0n

HSS Star

• Members
    • 53 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:31 AM

Ok let's see :)

It worked :D

#349 c0mm0n

c0mm0n

HSS Star

• Members
    • 53 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:37 AM

25% now vs 37/39 before, way better. Latest ILO

Why HP "hides" this firmware ? I had read about it on the HP thread but as it was missing on the download page, I thought the micro server was not concerned...

Thanks a lot.

#350 c0mm0n

c0mm0n

HSS Star

• Members
    • 53 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 12:50 PM

Regarding the drives, they seem well detected at boot time

I'm gonna try to put a SSD, I need adapters right ? (like molex=>sata and sata cable right ?)

#351 Gurv4n

Gurv4n

HSS Member

• Members
    • 33 posts
    • LocationFrance

Posted 24 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

Hello,

Here what you can update regarding latest firmwares.

I don't think some are outdated.

firmwares.jpg

HP ProLiant Microserver Gen8, Xeon E3-1265L v2, 16Gb, ESXi 6.0u2

DVDRW, Samsung 840 Pro 128 Gb on B120i (Raid 0)

4 x 4 Tb WD RED on HP P421 (Raid 5)

#352 ad-d

ad-d

HSS Member

• Members
    • 41 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:08 AM

Regarding the drives, they seem well detected at boot time

I'm gonna try to put a SSD, I need adapters right ? (like molex=>sata and sata cable right ?)

I've never used any of the raid modes so no idea if it's meant to show up like that under 'AHCI controller' when in raid, looks the same as my disks do but I only use AHCI with the raid stuff disabled in the bios.

there is a molex in the case apparently but I got a floppy drive power to sata power adapter instead and used the spare power lead that's in the drive bay area.  Cost £2.99 from Maplins in the UK (think it was one of these: http://www.maplin.co...5-to-sata-a18gg ).  I have a couple of SSDs running off the 5th sata port in a raid enclosure at the moment, the cables thread out through the small hole above the PCI-E plate and drives just sit on top of the server in a silicon HDD housing (stops the server getting scratched and also reduced vibration when I had 500gb SSHDs in there), works well and keeps every drive bay free for HDDS (4x4TB in the server and 2x4TB on USB3 although not all those are connected at the moment).

Ps if you go this route you need to create a bootable USB/SD card that points to the drive on sata5 or the server will only boot from the main HDD bays, there's a well written post on here from someone who set this up and it's working well in the brief time I've been using it.

Hello,

Here what you can update regarding latest firmwares.

I don't think some are outdated.

attachicon.giffirmwares.jpg

that screenshot is far too small to be readable but for fan noise it's only the J06 rom that seems to affect this (plus the 'adjusted' ilo of course if you decide to go that route, normal ilo versions do not affect fan speed, HP did all their fan tweaking in the J06 roms).

25% now vs 37/39 before, way better. Latest ILO

Why HP "hides" this firmware ? I had read about it on the HP thread but as it was missing on the download page, I thought the micro server was not concerned...

Thanks a lot.

Should slow down a lot further when the weather gets cooler as well.  If you think that's bad there was also another J06 rom released in between the 11/09/2013 and 06/06/2014 versions that also hasn't made it on to their website so they're actually two revisions behind!  06/06/2014 version has the lowest fan speeds though so no point bothering with the other version from Jan 2014...

Edited by ad-d, 25 July 2014 - 06:12 AM.

#353 c0mm0n

c0mm0n

HSS Star

• Members
    • 53 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:24 AM

Thx !

- I don't get your point on RAID drives, I'm in AHCI mode I don't use RAID at all on the latest screenshots. Bios is AHCI etc...

- I'm 21% now

- Thanks for the infos on the SSD. Just got a crucial M550 witll try it today and make my final setup

#354 c0mm0n

c0mm0n

HSS Star

• Members
    • 53 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 06:58 AM

I've added a SSD Crucial M550 on sata port 4

Listed in POST, but still no HD Max sensor.

iLO-4--localhost---ILO.png

#355 ad-d

ad-d

HSS Member

• Members
    • 41 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

Thx !

- I don't get your point on RAID drives, I'm in AHCI mode I don't use RAID at all on the latest screenshots. Bios is AHCI etc...

- I'm 21% now

- Thanks for the infos on the SSD. Just got a crucial M550 witll try it today and make my final setup

ok all good then, thought you were still trying to use raid and it didn't look right.

I've added a SSD Crucial M550 on sata port 4

Listed in POST, but still no HD Max sensor.

iLO-4--localhost---ILO.png

I'm not sure if that crucial SSD has a heat sensor in it or one that the server can read anyway, I don't have one to test with.

I did see this though (different model but still a Crucial and I doubt there's all that much difference between the M500 and M550), I'm guessing no sensor based on the fan speeds:

"Now have two Crucial M500 units in RAID-0 on the B120i.  Fans (after quitting several background apps) measured at 30-32% in iLO."

** Remember you will not see any drive temperatures in the ilo unless you are using raid mode though, the server cannot read drive temperatures otherwise (hence why AHCI used to give such high fan speeds before the latest J06 roms - was defaulting to high speeds in case they were hot) **

Edited by ad-d, 25 July 2014 - 08:58 AM.

#356 c0mm0n

c0mm0n

HSS Star

• Members
    • 53 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 08:56 AM

ok all good then, thought you were still trying to use raid and it didn't look right.

Having the RAID mode in BIOS but not recognized by OS wasn't a safe road to follow :)

Still I don't get why the HD max sensor is still "not installed". Yours is working right ? Can you remind me your setup ?

Think I did already, but THANKS for your input, it changed it all, was about to send back the Gen8...

#357 ad-d

ad-d

HSS Member

• Members
    • 41 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 09:02 AM

Having the RAID mode in BIOS but not recognized by OS wasn't a safe road to follow :)

Still I don't get why the HD max sensor is still "not installed". Yours is working right ? Can you remind me your setup ?

Think I did already, but THANKS for your input, it changed it all, was about to send back the Gen8...

Nope I don't have a HD max sensor showing, raid mode is required for ilo to see temps (confirmed by HP).  However if you use something like crystal disk in windows when using AHCI mode you can read the drive temps...

#358 c0mm0n

c0mm0n

HSS Star

• Members
    • 53 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:14 AM

Hi,

Have an idea I'd like your input on before I try.

I'm using proxmox (debian based) which gives me a 15-21% fan speed at best as using AHCI. OK.

I'd still like to try and get the 6% I had with esxi.

This is what I'd like to try :

- Put proxmox on a SSD plugged in USB (like an esxi usb key, but ssd cos debian gonna kill the usb key, logs, etc...)

- Put the bios in b120i mode, create arrays, etc...

- Passthrough the b120i to a "ILO" compliant OS (esxi, windows, RHEL at least for testing I don't care the OS).

Then shouldn't ILO get the reporting it needs and the fan goes as low as 6% ?

Thanks for your input !

#359 D1Vad

D1Vad

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 2 posts

Posted 20 August 2015 - 05:10 PM

Thanks to everyone posting in these forums!! I am using my Gen8 as a HTPC and constant 50% fan speed was killing me. I thought it might have been the added PCIe card (Asus 5450 passive) but lucky it wasn’t. It was the very old 160GB 2.5” hdd in the ODD slot. I think HD-Max sensor was reporting 50C as it couldn’t read temp from the drive, now HD-Max = 35C

Now 6-14% fan depending on ambient temp

- Bay5 ODD - 120gb Samsung EVO 840

- Bay1 – 3TB WD Red

- B120i RAID mode

- Win10 Pro

- Asus 5450 Passvie

- G1610T, 4GB Ram

- Bios – 2014.06.06

- iLO4 Firmware- 2.22

#360 CaptainFred

CaptainFred

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 101 posts

Posted 22 September 2015 - 08:06 AM

Hello all, I was thinking of buying one of these until I read this thread!!!   Bit concerned... and a little confused...

I was planning on putting this under my stairs in the cupboard which has little to no ventilation.. I know not ideal but no where else for it to go

Are all these fan problems resolved with the latest FW/BIOS/iLO etc?

Does it have 2 ways of configuring the RAID controller?  B120i RAID mode and something else?

Thanks!

Skins By Invisioneers