psikey

G8 Microserver - Be aware of Fan issue, add in cards

380 posts in this topic

I think you can run multiple RAID-0 arrays.

I think the 2 array limit is for running RAID-10.  I didn't see anything about a limit of arrays according to the QuickSpecs PDF:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04168333

In RAID-0 mode, hard disk cannot spin down, this is a significant problem for desktop designed disks.

Currently, I'm using AHCI mode which will spin down disks after 45 minutes with no activities.

Spin down not only reduce power consumption, but also enable hard disks have a break when I'm out of home.

In RAID-0 mode, hard disk cannot spin down, this is a significant problem for desktop designed disks.

Currently, I'm using AHCI mode which will spin down disks after 45 minutes with no activities.

Spin down not only reduce power consumption, but also enable hard disks have a break when I'm out of home.

One word: SSD ;)

this is true but if I was forced to choose between 50% fan speed and my hard drives having a slightly easier life or sensible fan speeds and paying a little more on electric I know which one I'd choose!  I doubt your disks will suffer too badly and if they're in some sort of pool/raid 10 etc then a HDD failing shouldn't affect your data and warranty should get you a new disk if it fails early on.  Your 4000 disks are designed for 24x7 usage and the 3000s "Support workload rate limits of 55TB/year in 8×5 environments" - 55TB is quite a lot of data writes so I can't see you having any issues!

I think it's the best result you're going to get, or sell the microserver and buy something that has 'normal' fan control of course, if it's that huge an issue for you that might be a better bet as HP simply aren't going to make it work how you want it to.

I think you can run multiple RAID-0 arrays.

I think the 2 array limit is for running RAID-10.  I didn't see anything about a limit of arrays according to the QuickSpecs PDF:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c04168333

Thanks buddy. In that case, 4xRAID0 drives would make sense don't you think?

I'm not so convinced of this. I think most of us have had the situation where a computer has been running for months without issue and then there's a requirement to reboot it and it fails on the reboot. Sometimes, once something's running, it's best to just leave it running. I'm not convinced that spinning down hard drives (except for the power consumption angle) really is a great idea. In fact, I suspect that it will shorten the life of many hard drives, which then makes you wonder if there are truly any power savings when you consider the extra power required to make replacement drives.

I don't have any hard data on this. I would be interested if anyone has hard data one way or the other.

Hello

I'm fairly new to all this, I have a HP Gen 8 with a ZFS Z5 RAID array, the fan is really noisy.

It sounds like there is an HP BIOS update to fix this.

I have a couple of questions

1) Is it an offiicial HP upgrade

2) Where is the link to it

3) How to do i install it, i do not have ILO. I'm not an Unix expert, so am looking for some guidance, walkthu etc.

4) Is it safe to apply the update ? Is there a possibility I will lose my data ?

Tell you what guys, thanks very much for any help you may provide.

Thanks

M

I was getting crazy :

- Using Raid controller included

- 2 drives in raid 0 mode

- Fan won't go below 40%...

- Raid Card not listed in ILO Storage

Went to ACU, checked the drives, nothing, reboot, still 40%

ACU again and played with this option, and TADA, 6% (had already drive one selected, just deselected and reselected).

iLO-Integrated-Remote-Console---Server--

If it can help :)

Regarding the fan behavior :

- If storage card isn't listed, ILO has more missing sensors

- This missing sensors seems to break fan management.

Well called for victory, too early, now back at 37%...

I don't understand :(

iLO-4--localhost---ILO.png

iLO-4--localhost---ILO.pngiLO-4--localhost---ILO.png

Edited by c0mm0n

Have you noticed that Ilo 1.5.1 is available ?

It's not listed in the Gen8 page, but got it from the HP forums and Microserver is listed in readme

Also there's semme to be hacked version of ILO modded for the fan management. Read this on the hp thread.

After upgrading, raid card goes missing again in ILO.

And I can confirme the HD Max sensor isn't working 

The HD Max sensor is working for me with iLO 1.51, with two SSDs on the B120i and the four hard drives (WD Red) on the P222 RAID controller.

And I can confirme the HD Max sensor isn't working 

I think you found your problem, fans only drop down to a lower level if it can correctly read the temps of the drives, the drives you have don't seem to want to give proper temperature data to the server (HD max sensor is showing as missing on one screenshot and drive temps are showing 50 degrees on another screenshot).  If it can't read the temps or thinks the drives are a toasty 50 degrees it will definitely run the fans at a higher rpm.

there is a thread on here with people who had incompatible SSDs that were being read as 50 degrees on the server and fan speed was high with these, I think you need to switch the disks or switch to AHCI if you want the fans to slow down...

1 person likes this

You know about the AHCI fan bug ? For me that's just that. No Raid or no b120i = high noise

Edited by c0mm0n

You know about the AHCI fan bug ? For me that's just that. No Raid or no b120i = high noise

Of course, please see my post above (323).  The new J06 rom vastly improves fan speeds in AHCI and seems to now be completely dependant on ambient temperature.  Unless you live in an extremely hot climate I suspect you'd see much reduced fan speeds compared to ilo seeing a 50 degree HD Max reading...

Edit: Just seen you have a rather high 28 degrees ambient in your earlier posting however with that you were getting 37% fan speed.  At 28 degrees ambient I get 25% fan speed in AHCI, large improvement...

Edited by ad-d

Ok. 25% is still huge when I get 6% with ESXI in the same conditions

For me either this get fixed (by HP, by a raid card), or the Gen8 goes back to amazon. I paid 700€ for the Xeon Gen8 and wanted something perfect...

Ok. 25% is still huge when I get 6% with ESXI in the same conditions

For me either this get fixed (by HP, by a raid card), or the Gen8 goes back to amazon. I paid 700€ for the Xeon Gen8 and wanted something perfect...

yes 25% isn't good but under normal ambients I see more like 13% which is reasonable (with the adjusted ilo as well these would be further reduced if you want to go there - I'd guess 8% fan speeds at 23 degrees or 15% fan speeds at the the 28 degrees you currently get 37% at (massive difference)) - if you insist on keeping your incompatible HDDs that could be your only real option.  If the HDDs are telling the server they're at 50 degrees it's completely understandable (and very much desirable) for the server to try and cool them, given what you spent on the server I'd be buying a couple of reasonably cheap known working HDDs to remove this problem...

You'd probably see 6% fan speed from cold in ESXI but I bet it raises up to at least 12% when everything starts to heat up, compared to the standard AHCI or ACHI+adjusted ilo options there's probably not much between them...

Obviously you should confirm when you boot the server that the J06 rom version shown at the top of the screen definitely reads a date of 06/06/2014, if not then update right away - there are huge improvements with this rom version.  I just bought another Gen8 microserver and had to try the J06 update more than once for it to update so it's worth checking even if you tried the update already, if I can find a few minutes spare at some point I think I might load the adjusted ilo on the 2nd server and maybe try it in raid mode as well (not that I ever plan to use the raid mode) just to get some fan speed comparisons at different temperatures for each of the possible server configurations...

yes 25% isn't good but under normal ambients I see more like 13% which is reasonable (with the adjusted ilo as well these would be further reduced if you want to go there - I'd guess 8% fan speeds at 23 degrees or 15% fan speeds at the the 28 degrees you currently get 37% at (massive difference)) - if you insist on keeping your incompatible HDDs that could be your only real option.  If the HDDs are telling the server they're at 50 degrees it's completely understandable (and very much desirable) for the server to try and cool them, given what you spent on the server I'd be buying a couple of reasonably cheap known working HDDs to remove this problem...

You'd probably see 6% fan speed from cold in ESXI but I bet it raises up to at least 12% when everything starts to heat up, compared to the standard AHCI or ACHI+adjusted ilo options there's probably not much between them...

Obviously you should confirm when you boot the server that the J06 rom version shown at the top of the screen definitely reads a date of 06/06/2014, if not then update right away - there are huge improvements with this rom version.  I just bought another Gen8 microserver and had to try the J06 update more than once for it to update so it's worth checking even if you tried the update already, if I can find a few minutes spare at some point I think I might load the adjusted ilo on the 2nd server and maybe try it in raid mode as well (not that I ever plan to use the raid mode) just to get some fan speed comparisons at different temperatures for each of the possible server configurations...

Thanks, for the feedback, gonna check the bios again.

i'm not sure what you mean by "incompatible HDD", 2x3tb Red are compatible afaik, it's just ILO that is badly working without raid card.

Edited by c0mm0n

@ad-d

What do you mean with 6/6/14 ?

I got his :

Thanks, for the feedback, gonna check the bios again.

i'm not sure what you mean by "incompatible HDD", 2x3tb Red are compatible afaik, it's just ILO that is badly working without raid card.

By incompatible HDD I mean for whatever reason the HDDs and the server don't appear to be talking to each other properly (the ilo is showing 50 degree readings for the HDDs in your screenshots, I'd be surprised if they are actually at 50 degrees).  My memory is a little hazy on this as it didn't really affect me but I'm sure I read somewhere on here that some HDDs (SSDs in this case) had a sensor that the gen8 wasn't reading properly in raid mode or in some cases no sensor on the HDD at all and I think that was causing the gen8 to read them as 50 degrees with high fan speeds caused by this.  There's even a thread below about what SSDs were known to report temperature correctly to keep fans at sensible speeds.  I you have some other HDDs maybe try one of those or one of these known good drives for a test and see how it responds under the same conditions.

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6965-ssd-compatibility-list-for-gen8-fan/

1 person likes this

Everything is working great when the B120i is used (and the OS sees it).

So I assume, that's more on HP side than mine, am I wrong ?

@ad-d

What do you mean with 6/6/14 ?

I got his :

OK upgrade that straight away, should be 06/06/2014 for the latest version.  There were significant fan speed improvements made in the latest version for AHCI users, not sure if it helps for the raid users but definitely better to be on the latest J06 when trying to get things working as you want.

1 person likes this

OK upgrade that straight away, should be 06/06/2014 for the latest version.  There were significant fan speed improvements made in the latest version for AHCI users, not sure if it helps for the raid users but definitely better to be on the latest J06 when trying to get things working as you want.

There's no 6/6/14 J06 at HP, just checked again :

Pilotes-et-logiciels-pour-Serveur-HP-Pro

Edited by c0mm0n

Everything is working great when the B120i is used (and the OS sees it).

So I assume, that's more on HP side than mine, am I wrong ?

Not sure, I don't use the built in 'raid', it's not proper hardware raid and just one more thing to go wrong in my case, I want the OS to have direct access to the drives without having to bounce through the 'raid' stuff and all the potential problems that causes.  Maybe someone else who actually uses the B120i can help if it's behaving fine most of the time, just reminded me of the problems those SSD users were having and the high fan speeds because the temperature wasn't being read properly.  Try using crystal disk or something to check the actual drive temperatures and see if it matches what the ilo thinks they are?

Might be worth another test with AHCI mode once you've updated to the 6/6/2014 J06 (and possibly adjusted ilo if you want to go there), you'd get much reduced fan speeds than with 11/9/2013 and might not be worth all the hassles the B120i seems to be causing - as I said before expected 8% fan speeds at 23 degrees or 15% fan speeds at 28 degrees are likely and that's going to be about as quiet as it can go I'd have thought...

There's no 6/6/14 J06 at HP, just checked again :

Pilotes-et-logiciels-pour-Serveur-HP-Pro

I guess they still haven't updated the site, see here:

The new J06 ROM has been released to the FTP

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/sc-windows-fw-sys/p1544720401/v98895 (cp023765.exe - Windows)

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/sc-linux-fw-sys/p1145667783/v98896 (CP023766.scexe - Linux)

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib2/software1/pubsw-windows/p700205933/v98907 (SP66986.EXE - Softpaq)

1 person likes this

25% now vs 37/39 before, way better. Latest ILO

Why HP "hides" this firmware ? I had read about it on the HP thread but as it was missing on the download page, I thought the micro server was not concerned...

Thanks a lot.

Regarding the drives, they seem well detected at boot time

I'm gonna try to put a SSD, I need adapters right ? (like molex=>sata and sata cable right ?)