diehard

Anyone successfully install Server 2012 R2 Essentials on a Microserver N36L,N40L,N54L ?

206 posts in this topic

Wait... you are mad at HP for using half-height when you bought the wrong part?  I wish you better luck.  Most of us have not had any problems.

The card will still fit in the slot with the bracket removed long enough to install the OS.

Nah not mad a HP, just annoyed that the project seems jinxed.  What I am annoyed with HP over is not having a working driver for the embedded NIC!

Oh I know the card will still fit, and we may end up adjusting the bracket so that it can fix in position but it is annoying as when the card was bought previously by another (see earlier in the thread) both sizes of brackets were supplied!

I actually bought that TP Link card from Amazon here in the US and it had both brackets.  I have since removed it and went with a HP NC360T.

Interesting, I'm getting tempted more and more to look to send the card back I think and choose a different card. I have raised a ticket with TP Link but they are not responding (or have not done yet anyway). The engineers at work assure me that the bracket can be cut down and made to fit but I can see that involving a lot of trial and error with the server and sliding in / out and obviously I want to avoid damage to the machine itself.

Why did you change cards, were there problems with the TP Link card? Are you using the NC360T with Server 2012 Essentials?

So the thought is now, do I look to send that card back (if they can't provide a bracket), and look at the Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PRO1000 Network Card CT PCIex Bulk (if that will work with the OS) or do I wait for the OS formal release and therefore one would hope a driver fix from HP?

Thoughts?

So the thought is now, do I look to send that card back (if they can't provide a bracket), and look at the Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PRO1000 Network Card CT PCIex Bulk (if that will work with the OS) or do I wait for the OS formal release and therefore one would hope a driver fix from HP?

Thoughts?

Bought this exact one from Amazon UK too, and it definitely comes with two brackets!

Which card are you refering to exactly the TP-LINK Gigabit PCI Express Network Adapter: TG-3468 (TG-3468) or the Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PRO1000 Network Card CT PCIex Bulk?

Just wanting to make sure. From the pictures I know the latter comes with both brackets. I need to verify that is Intel card does work with 2012 Essentials though.

Intel one, using it with Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard in VM on it.

Right and if it runs those 2012 R2 builds they use the same core as 2012 Essentials I think so it should be okay?

No problems space wise in it fitting into the machine?

Yes it's compatible with R2 and VMware ESXi and has an extra network port and it's Intel based.

Edited by DanielN

The HP N360T is dual port, the Intel is single port.

I bought the tp link one from maplins. Was full height. Emailed tp-link the same day asking for a low profile bracket. They sent one and it got delivered next day for free. Great service and fully works with 2012 r2 out of the box.

Interesting the response I got from TP-Link was:

Thanks very much for choosing TP-LINK products, much appreciated.

Regarding your enquiry, I am sorry, but the product in different area may be different, we don’t provide the half height bracket in this product in uk market.

Sorry about this. Wish you a nice day.

Nelson Qiao

E-commerce and DMR Account Manager

TP-LINK UK Limited

On the way back to the supplier now though and the new card in transit to me.

I disabled the onboard nic and r2 installed with this $30 card from Newegg. Also at Amazon, i think.

The ST1000SPEX2 PCIe Gigabit Ethernet

Plus, the card includes both full profile and low profile/half-height installation brackets for installation in a wide range of computer/server chassis.

Well the Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PRO1000 Network Card CT PCIex Bulk arrived yesterday, with both brackets as anticipated. Installation was without issues and I was up and running within minutes. New driver update from Windows update later in the morning, but now cooking on gas!

I use a number of these cards; they've been trouble free.

Guess what? The Windows 8.1 update from the Store hangs at 5% or 17% on my N40L.

So the £7 TPLink card *might* work, but the 1x slot on mine is obscured by the VGA plate for my Asus HD6450 add-in graphics card.

So I can get a £1 DVI-VGA adapter which *might* work on that card...

£8 for something that *might* work because HP and MS are a bunch of clowns. I mean not just failing to adding a driver, not fixing the pre-install compatibility checker and even having the OS installer hang indefinitely because it doesn't know about it? Seriously?

I don't mind having to remove/hack the backing plate of the card because it'd allow me to finally stash my SSD somewhere inside it!

I'm glad other people have already dealt with this stuff, riding on coat-tails is much easier :)

Edited by BikNorton

The joys of cutting edge! )

I wish I had found this forum on Friday! Just spent the whole weekend attempting to get WS2012E R2 on my N40L. I'm guessing there is definitely still no fix for the onboard NIC for the N40L??? 

Can anyone confirm which 3rd party NIC definitely works on N40L with Essentials 2012 R2? Am thinking of Intel EXPI9301CTBLK PRO1000 but kinda object to having to buy anything to get RTM software running on a popular server hardware. 

Grrrrr

Hi wheatism,

haven't tested as I'm still on plain WS2012 on my N54L and tested many different ways even the latest 1.6.0.0.17 broadcom driver with latest firmware... nothing working yet... but check out Joe_Miner's post from Wednesday, August 14, 2013 12:33 PM with good nics:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/161bf5f0-b6d3-4c0c-9beb-b9fb0ea1bc1f/windows-server-2012-fails-on-hp-n54l-microserver#7481e6ff-a34e-4108-b374-f510db108213

MS technet forum doesn't forward the hashmark fragment, so open it again after login...

Latest HP Drivers link found here: http://www.mswhs.com/2013/09/ws2012-essentials-r2-install-on-a-hp-microserver-fixed/

Cheers

I got one of the cheap TPLink cards yesterday but didn't have time to try it. Not sure I'll get chance tonight, it might be thursday.

I assume it will work on server 2012 r2 if it does on 8.1 pro.

Edited by BikNorton