•  

• Photo

What are the consequences of disabling Windows Search?

• Please log in to reply
    11 replies to this topic

#1 Removed

Removed

HSS Star

• Members
    • 55 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:53 AM

In a different thread the conversation included disabling Windows Search so I decide to start a new post on this topic to further the conversation.

My experience is as follows, prior to haveing a WHS box I had installed Windows Search on SBS 2008 and configured it to index shares so they could be added as Libraries in Windows 7. I have also configured Windows Desktop Search on a 2003 R2 server to index a local location on the server that was shared so it could be added as a library in Windows 7. I have never configured a client computer to index a shared location. I have always done the indexing on the server thus configuring it once vs. multiple times on client computers.

In the other thread another member thought search on the server was local to the server and did nothing for client machines. My experience and research contradicts this. I did read somewhere that prior to Power Pack 3 that WHS may not have fully supported windows 7 clients and maybe this is why people had problems adding WHS shares the 7 Libraries. I built my WHS box after Power Pack 3 and had no issues adding the shares to libraries and I did not configure the clients to index the server.

Does anyone else have experience with about disabling Search on the WHS box that they want to share? Are very many people doing it? Does anyone know any details about Windows 7 library support prior to PP3?

#2 jmwills

jmwills

HSS Genius

• Donating Member
    • 7,771 posts
    • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 15 April 2010 - 01:28 PM

I will stand corrected, but I do not believe the WHS supported Windows 7 libraries prior to PP3. Seems like I heard it on this podcast or Paul Thurrot's.
    I had never been a big fan of Windows Search prior to Windows 7 but turning on indexing does speed up the searches.

#3 geek-accountant

geek-accountant

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 871 posts
    • LocationAtlanta Area

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:18 PM

In our case, we rarely run searches on any of the home computers. Therefore, I plan to leave this service disabled.

#4 usacomp2k3

usacomp2k3

HSS Elite

• Members
    • 1,401 posts
    • LocationKissimmee, FL

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:57 PM

I don't use it outside of e-mail and the start menu *shrug*

#5 roddy

roddy

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 110 posts

Posted 15 April 2010 - 09:40 PM

Ok I have to hold my hand up. I did say all that about clients not benefiting from the server's index, but I'd like to qualify that my experience regarding this is purely on Windows XP. I have not attempted this on Windows 7 as I am not running that at home yet. If they did get it to work properly, then that would definitely be a good thing, although the resources consumed by the Indexer on the WHS (about 250MB in my case) would still be a negative factor.

Actually, if anyone has any advice to reduce the Indexer's footprint, pleases also share it with us. I have tried removing my large media files from the list of indexed locations, but that made absolutely no difference in the memory, although the Indexer did complete much faster.

#6 Removed

Removed

HSS Star

• Members
    • 55 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:37 AM

@Roddy I think the Search improvements require Vista Clients and newer or maybe Windows Desktop Search 4.0 if using XP. I don't care about faster searches but do like using the libraries features which may not work if you disable search on the WHS. If all your clients are XP or Vista and you don't use Search then I would say disabling it is fine. I just wanted to make sure I was not wrong in my assumptions that you have to have search enabled for libraries in Win7.

Searchindexer.exe is using about 70 mb on my system and my shares which are only about 220 Gb. I too would be intersted to see what the resource usage is for others. I believe the overhead is related to the amount of files indexed. Anyone else want to share the what kind of resource usage they are seeing and if they have any tips for tuning it?

#7 geek-accountant

geek-accountant

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 871 posts
    • LocationAtlanta Area

Posted 16 April 2010 - 04:59 PM

In my case, it was using 110MB of ram and approx 270MB of VM. In addition, it was by far the largest user of CPU time, double that of the 2nd biggest user, demigrator.exe.

#8 jeffla

jeffla

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 137 posts
    • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 17 April 2010 - 09:06 AM

I have windows search (searchindexer.exe) disabled, and libraries in Windows 7 have always worked. I also have search indexing (cisvc.exe) disabled with no ill effects. Of course, searches are claimed to be slower, but since I never search, I wouldn't know.

#9 jeffla

jeffla

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 137 posts
    • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 18 April 2010 - 10:09 PM

I need to modify my answer. Although the music/videos/pictures libraries have always worked with both windows search and search indexer turned off, I am unable to add new libraries linked to the server with search indexer turned off.

#10 ImTheTypeOfGuy

ImTheTypeOfGuy

HSS Master

• Donating Member
    • 2,433 posts
    • LocationhOUston

Posted 19 April 2010 - 08:50 PM

I have around 2.5 GB of storage and searchindexer.com uses about 76 MB. I don't use libraries so I guess I can turn this app off?

#11 geek-accountant

geek-accountant

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 871 posts
    • LocationAtlanta Area

Posted 19 April 2010 - 09:15 PM

I don't use libraries either and have had searchindexer turned off for about a week and have seen no bad side effects. I have almost 12TB in drives and about 8TB of that used, and searchindexer was taking over 100MB or ram for me, plus lots of CPU time.

#12 awraynor

awraynor

HSS Elite

• Donating Member
    • 1,342 posts
    • LocationSpartanburg, S.C.

Posted 16 May 2010 - 07:47 PM

I just turned it off myself. It was consuming between 100MB to 1GB of RAM. I saw
    no way to limit it's appetite and therefore turned it off. I never search on the
    WHS and hope this may improve the dismal performance of my 495. I am backing up
    my shares and backups right now. Debating about doing a factory reset or installing
    the OEM version of WHS? Any input, my 495 is a performance dog and I am ready
    for drastic measures?

Skins By Invisioneers