Krueger86

Decided to setup a N54L microserver. Need help.

92 posts in this topic

Those are great articles.....

And interesting also how the article seems to differ from Mr_Smartepants experience.

Installing on the EX490 is blind, having no graphics output.  I do know that when I tried to install the first time it failed (alternating red/aqua activity light) though after pulling the drive the partitions were set up as I posted earlier.  I then deleted the partitions and tried again, but this time I added a $WinPEDriver$ folder to the root of the USB stick with the install media.  Into that folder I put the drivers for the Intel/Silicon-Image SATA controllers and the Realtek LAN drivers.  Then everything worked perfectly.

$WinPEDriver$ folder info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2686316

I do have a spare OCZ Vertex2 120GB SSD to try but the stupid HP drive sleds don't allow 2.5" drives easily.  I'll try to get an adapter to fit in there.

Did I order wrong SATA card?

Ordered and received today.

HighPoint Rocket 640L PCI-Express 2.0 x4 Low Profile SATA III (6.0Gb/s) RAID Controller Card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115114&Tpk=highpoint%20rocket%20640l&IsVirtualParent=1

And it doesn't fit in slot 2 card slot.

Slot 2: PCI-Express Gen 2 x1 connector with x1 Link

Slot 2-2: PCI-Express x4 slot for optional management card

If this one will not work... which card can I order that will?

I just want one that will let me use my ICY Dock so not sure if I could use this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115072

Edited by Krueger86

That card you received will not fit in the small slot in the MicroServer: the slot is a x1 and the card is a x4. The x4 you were talking about is ONLY for the RAC.

The 2nd card you linked to should fit OK.

Thanks. Is there any 4 port SATA that will work? Or am I just limited to a two. Two will work for what I need.

And it doesn't fit in slot 2 card slot.

Then why not put it in Slot 1?  Slot 1 is the x16 slot and should work fine.

Then why not put it in Slot 1?  Slot 1 is the x16 slot and should work fine.

I already have a video card in that slot to make it a HTPC.

Well, just as I thought everything was coming together. I bought the wrong card. So, got a PCI-e x1 2 port SATA card coming.

I guess I could run a cable from the eSATA port to the icy dock for the SSD and do the new install. Then when the card gets here I could move the SSD over to that. Would that mess any of the drive assignments up in WHS 2011?

It most likely will mess up the boot order, but you can fix that easily in the BIOS.

Moving files question.  If I move files that I want to keep to one of my existing hard drives and rebuild my server to an SSD drive.  What will happen when I add the drive to the new install? 

What type of files?  Where was the drive previously?

Avi and mpeg2 files. Drive was installed with my WHS 2011 test setup. But, I want to start fresh with a new install on an SSD.

I don't recall the specifics of your setup but I know you can do a fresh OS re-install and re-link up your Shares in StableBit DrivePool -- I would "speculate" the process would/should be similar with other Drive Extenders and other Setups (like RAID Pools) but I haven't tested that theory -- YMMV

see:

http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/2521-possible-to-clone-system-drive-in-whs-2011/#entry50819

http://homeservershow.com/updating-my-windows-home-server-2011-installed-on-the-hp-proliant-n40l-microserver.html

As always -- be sure your Back-Ups are up-to-date before trying something like this

Edited by Joe_Miner

Do you have another drive available for use?  If so, use it for storage and then restore from the existing drive and then add it to the server.  I'm afraid the drive will be formatted if you add it.

Do you have another drive available for use?  If so, use it for storage and then restore from the existing drive and then add it to the server.  I'm afraid the drive will be formatted if you add it.

Copying files to NAS drive.  Taking forever.  But, I think the new install might format the drive.  But, I want to start with a new slate anyways.  I will just have to wait until everything is copied over.