• Please log in to reply
    24 replies to this topic

#1 Puulima

Puulima

HSS Star

• Members
    • 62 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

From what I've been reading RoboCopy either doesn't work (at all) or doesn't work properly in Windows 8? I see it is still included with Windows 8 so assuming it probably runs and copies - but the posts I read noted it didn't perform as expected - and the one item I recall noted in cases of files being the SAME - RoboCopy in Windows 8 thought one file was newer and so instead of skipping dupes, it re-copied them.

I need a program that will copy data from my old WHS v1 drives (which most of the data was set to duplicate when the server died) to new drives - but obviously don't want to waste time copying duplicates.

I'm still Googling but thought I'd ask if anyone knows of a similar program.

Thanks

#2 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,099 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:10 PM

I don't have a Win8 box set up currently, but I do recall that there is a /FFT (FAT File Times) setting for RoboCopy that relaxes the time criteria. I has to use it once going from an older OS to a newer one. It might help.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#3 Joe_Miner

Joe_Miner

HSS Master

• Moderators
    • 2,747 posts
    • LocationCentral Illinois

Posted 25 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

TerraCopy.

WHS-2011: HAF932,X58A-UD3R,i7-930, 12GB, HD6450, R640L, Corsair GS240GB, 5in3FatCage, 2xDuoSwap, 5*Red4T, DrivePool&Scanner-|- 
    Server10 Gen8 Xeon E3-1265LV2,SDM,ECC KVR1333D3E9SK2/16G, P222/512FBWC, SDM -|- 

Win7 & S2012R2: N40L 4GB, R620L,  Corsair60GB, TBD -|- Server10 N54L G7, ECCKVR1333D3E9SK2/8G, R640L, 256GBM4, TBD -|-
    Desktop W8.1P64: Lian-Li PC-K9WX,Z77X-UD5H, i7-3770,32GB-RAM,OS-SamPro840-256SSD -|-
    HTPC3 W8.1P64WMC: GD05B, Z68MX-UD2H-B3, i5-2500K, 16GB G.Skill, CorsairGTX240GB -|-
    Laptop W8.1P64WMC: Acer 1810T, 4GB RAM, 256GB Crucial M4-|-

#4 Puulima

Puulima

HSS Star

• Members
    • 62 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 03:44 PM

I don't have a Win8 box set up currently, but I do recall that there is a /FFT (FAT File Times) setting for RoboCopy that relaxes the time criteria. I has to use it once going from an older OS to a newer one. It might help.

In the TechNet post I found on this - that was suggested and tested and still didn't work. I'm on my iPhone right now so can't paste the link to that posting - but it did propose a solution that is a bit cumbersome - so looking for something I can implement easily. Even with the workaround some reported Robocopy still copied exact dupes.

TerraCopy.

What version? I saw that and downloaded it - haven't had a chance to play with it but didn't see anywhere to set options of what to copy. Looked like you had to drag and drop the source folders or files to the GUI? Been on calls all afternoon so haven't had a chance to google the instructions. But presuming it does allow one to set some parameters? Does it produce a log also like RoboCopy does?

Thanks guys.

EDIT: do you guys know anything about RichCopy ? It's touted as being better than RoboCopy and a posting I saw said it worked under Win8. I'm going to try it out and appreciate any feedback you might have.

Edited by Puulima, 25 January 2013 - 03:51 PM.

#5 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,099 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:30 PM

RichCopy is the latest in the RoboCopy series. I've used it but didn't find it to be enough different from RoboCopy to make me switch. However, if it works with Win8 when RC doesn't, that would be enough difference to matter.

#6 revengineer

revengineer

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 274 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 09:37 PM

Just transferring my WHS v1 to WS2012E. I have tried several bulk copiers. Fastcopy seems to work best for me. Ironically it is not as fast as Teracopy, but with Teracopy I have issues with the shared network drive disappearing after some time.

#7 Puulima

Puulima

HSS Star

• Members
    • 62 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:44 PM

I'm liking RichCopy...the options are great. And works nicely on Widows 8 without the issues RoboCopy experiences. Nice part is the GUI reports whats going on in real time and lists the entire history (log details) in a scrollable window. Robocopy always left me wndering if the background copying was done. So a keeper.

#8 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,099 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:07 PM

You've never used the log feature of RoboCopy; or am I reading it wrong?

IIRC, RichCopy doesn't have a command-line mode though, is that correct? If so, that would make it have to use in a batch file or scheduled task.

#9 Puulima

Puulima

HSS Star

• Members
    • 62 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

You've never used the log feature of RoboCopy; or am I reading it wrong?

IIRC, RichCopy doesn't have a command-line mode though, is that correct? If so, that would make it have to use in a batch file or scheduled task.

Yeah I used the log file function...but you had to keep opening the log file to check when it was done...don't get me wrong, loved RoboCopy, it was slick but I like being able to see where I'm at in the copy process "at a glance".

Question though: copying to/from the storage space was in the 25 MB/s range - I'm now copying from one drive to another in the N40L case itself and not seeing any better performance. The default settings for RichCopy are 3 threads being copied at once - so am I reading this wrong? Is the throughput really 3x the reported speed on the RichCopy screen? IE: perhaps the 25 MB/s is the "individual" speed but collectively I'm seeing 75 MB/S?

Even so, I thought I'd see better performance on regular SATA drives vs copying to / from a Storage Space Virtual drive.

EDIT: Actually the performance (so far) appears to be worse than copying from the storage Space? 20 MB/s max so far?

Edited by Puulima, 27 January 2013 - 03:15 PM.

#10 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,099 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Wasn't aware this is an N40L. Have you installed the modded BIOS? If not, the SATA ports are limited to SATA I (1.5 Gbps). The modded BIOS can up that to SATA II (3Gbps).

#11 Puulima

Puulima

HSS Star

• Members
    • 62 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:30 PM

Wasn't aware this is an N40L. Have you installed the modded BIOS? If not, the SATA ports are limited to SATA I (1.5 Gbps). The modded BIOS can up that to SATA II (3Gbps).

Yup, first thing I did was mod the BIOS, set the SATA speed from "auto" to 3, turn on the hot swappable on all and setup the eSATA port to do the PM functionality. I used a Disk Testing package to test the external enclosure (all 4 drives at the same time) and was getting performance roughly in the 30 MBs on each drive (when all 4 were running) on both read and write tests -so seems odd that from one drive to another within the N40L itself the performance would be so poor? Unless RichCopy isn't reporting the truth?

#12 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,099 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:47 PM

Hmmm, have you used ATTO to test the drives?

#13 Puulima

Puulima

HSS Star

• Members
    • 62 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:12 PM

Hmmm, have you used ATTO to test the drives?

I used a program the Sans Digital tech guys sent me - when I thought my external enclosure was creating the disk issues. They sent me "MTI Read/Write Speed Test v 1.5e" It can be run in multiple instances and set to as many iterations as you want as well as file sizes. I ran it (4 instances) on all drives in the enclosure overnight... didn't try the drives in the N40L itself. Are you thinking this is a drive issue vs. the N40L SATA bus? I can look into ATTO - but new to me. Any advice truly appreciated. I don't want to run any tests on the old drives though until backed up...but I put a few new ones in the N40L so only dropping in one old (WHS v1) data disk at a time to back each up.

Question: So how long should it take to copy the contents of a 2TB drive over to a second one? Both internal to the N40L - Both WD Green drives. approx 1.2 TB are large files (video), the balance are smaller files of various forms (docs, photos, music etc). Its been going for 3 hours now and so far 385 GB copied...so another 15-16 hours to go?

Edited by Puulima, 27 January 2013 - 04:17 PM.

#14 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,099 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:37 PM

If my arithmatic is correct, 130 GB/hr = 130,000 MB/hr / 3600 = 36 MB/sec. That's not terribly fast. Typically I would want to see something over 100 MB/sec.

The fact that they're Green drives may have something to do with it. I recommend you look for N40L related posts from Joe_Miner. He has done some pretty extensive disk throughput testing.

#15 Puulima

Puulima

HSS Star

• Members
    • 62 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:44 PM

I'll see if Joe has anything on this...but in doing some additional reading on multiple threads being copied in RichCopy I came across some articles that raised the question: "does using multiple threads while copying create fragmentaion" - seems reasonable. Not sure how the inner workings would handle where RichCopy is writing the data for 3 threads (the default) at the same time. But if I'm copying BACK from an initial RichCopy copy - and fragmentation happened on the first copy - one would assume that would slow things down copying back.

RichCopy seems to keep "stalling" also - IE: the % tickers for each thread don't change at all for up to a minute at a time sporadically...the 4 lights on my external enclosure stop flashing also (so not just a display issue)...then I hear the drives start making some noise again, activity lights are flashing and the screen starts moving again....didn't notice this on other copy sets...just this one copying back from the Storage Space. I'll be glad when my WHS 2011 disk gets here.

I'm looking at the stats now: 4 hours 20 minutes = 403.674 Gigaytes :-(

#16 Puulima

Puulima

HSS Star

• Members
    • 62 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:59 PM

RichCopy continues to "stall" during the copy process...so long after I expected this copy process o be complete it's still going. I've Googled this behavior and can't find anything so wondering if something is going on on my system? thinking the External Enclosure (with the 4 drives) might be the issue (that's my Storage Space) - since none of the activity lights blink while the "stalling" is happening - I went into that virtual drive in explorer and I can access it - but right clicking and selecting properties brings up the usual window but it doesn't actually read the drive - IE: a folder with 1.2 TB of data inside comes up as 3.49 GB and no activity lights blink..then when RichCopy starts moving again...the properties window updates and finds all the data and reports back. Tried it a few times...same result.

So my Storage Space is locking up? I had noted (in either this post or another one recently) that I had tested the external enclosure with overnight non stop read/write tests to all 4 drives and no issues whatsoever - that was before I created the Storage Space. Any ideas? It appears to be happening more frequently than before. Given I had rescued data off a failing drive TO the storage space - and only a few files were skipped - so I woudl think the data that was copied successfully s/b ok - besides it's not a certain thread in the Richcopy process that's stopping - it's all 3 threads.

I'm not sure how to troubleshoot this...I'm going to ditch the Storage Space as soon as it's cleared out - but it's sure slowing the cop process...

#17 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,099 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

I have to admit, the more I hear about Storage Spaces, the less confident I am about it. I'm actually beginning to think DrivePool or DriveBender would be preferable.

Also, I've been reading about RichCopy. Seems like people have been encountering issues with it as well. A number of people have experienced RichCopy crashing. One guy even said he never had it complete a job successfully. I'm currently carrying out a test with RichCopy, using 10 directory threads to copy 650GB. When I looked last it had copied almost 200GB in about 1.5 - 2 hours. To tell the truth, I'm not at all convinced it's really faster than RoboCopy.

#18 Puulima

Puulima

HSS Star

• Members
    • 62 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:11 PM

While RichCopy may not be the fastest...I think the locking up is the issue I discovered in the Event Viewer - see my 2 posts on the "Port Multiplier on N40L" thread...I definitely need some technical expertise on deciphering this...not sure what to make of the error given what I've been reading.

#19 jmwills

jmwills

HSS Genius

• Donating Member
    • 7,667 posts
    • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:01 PM

I have to admit, the more I hear about Storage Spaces, the less confident I am about it. I'm actually beginning to think DrivePool or DriveBender would be preferable.

Also, I've been reading about RichCopy. Seems like people have been encountering issues with it as well. A number of people have experienced RichCopy crashing. One guy even said he never had it complete a job successfully. I'm currently carrying out a test with RichCopy, using 10 directory threads to copy 650GB. When I looked last it had copied almost 200GB in about 1.5 - 2 hours. To tell the truth, I'm not at all convinced it's really faster than RoboCopy.

Nothing is faster than RoboCopy.

Windows 7 Desktop - Antec 100 Case, Intel D8H67BL, OCZ 550W PSU, Intel i3-530 CPU w/16GB G-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM
    Server 2012 - Fractal Arc Midi, CoolerMaster M600 PSU, ASUS P8H67V, Intel i5-2500 CPU w/32GBG-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM, 90 GIG OCZ SSD OS Drive – Roles: Hyper-V (WHS-SharePoint-DC-SQL-Exchange-WSE 2012R2), Print Server - Rocket RAID 2720 4 x 3TB WD Red
    HTPC Build - Silverstone GD05 Case,x 2
    Travel Laptop: Lenovo U310 13.3" Windows 8.1

#20 Puulima

Puulima

HSS Star

• Members
    • 62 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 05:26 PM

Nothing is faster than RoboCopy.

Except RoboCopy doesn't work properly on Windows 8... I've tried everything I found suggested in the various forums - but it still copies over files with the exact same date/timestamps.

Skins By Invisioneers