•  

• Photo

Slow backup on my PC compared to wifes laptop?

• Please log in to reply
    14 replies to this topic

#1 tekguru

tekguru

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 117 posts
    • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 06 November 2012 - 03:49 AM

You may (or not) recall that one of the issues I was having a few weeks ago when running WHS2011 was that of slow backups from my Win 8 PC to the WHS. I had thought that this was due to the limites amount of storage I had online on the WHS box (1.5Tb) for bacckign up the PC.

Now I've moved on to using WS2012 Essentials I'm still seeing the same issue. Now the PC is running Win 8 Pro and has dives containing a lot of media, approx 500-600Gb of data. Now I'm find with the initial backup taking 9-10 hours to complete, but the daily backup is still taking around 2 hours despite not that much data being changed on the Pc from the previous day.

Watching the backup run via the server each percent increment takes maybe 10-15 minutes to progress.

I had thought that this was normal, but last night I rebuild my wifes vaio laptop (Win 8 install, office, adn maybe 3Gb of files). That was connected to the server via wi-fi and the first initial backup only took around an hour to complete. Plus I was able to watch the backup percentage increment over 5-6 seconds. It will be interesting tonight so see how long the incremental backup takes.

My PC is connected into a 1Gb Netgear switch which the WHS machine is also plugged into. So should have a much faster transfer rate that the wi-fi connected laptop.

So the thoughts are, the percentage shown as a backup takes place - does anyone know how that is calculated?

Any suggestions as to why my backup is taking that long each day?

Should I consider taking the 'media storage partition' out of the backup schema?

Thoughts?

Daron Brewood

CEO: www.smartphonegurus.com

#2 jmwills

jmwills

HSS Genius

• Donating Member
    • 7,377 posts
    • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:15 AM

How full is the PC drive?

Windows 7 Desktop - Antec 100 Case, Intel D8H67BL, OCZ 550W PSU, Intel i3-530 CPU w/16GB G-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM
    Server 2012 - Fractal Arc Midi, CoolerMaster M600 PSU, ASUS P8H67V, Intel i5-2500 CPU w/32GBG-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM, 90 GIG OCZ SSD OS Drive – Roles: Hyper-V (WHS-SharePoint-DC-SQL-Exchange-WSE 2012R2), Print Server - Rocket RAID 2720 4 x 3TB WD Red
    HTPC Build - Silverstone GD05 Case,x 2
    Travel Laptop: Lenovo U310 13.3" Windows 8.1

#3 tekguru

tekguru

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 117 posts
    • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 06 November 2012 - 06:19 AM

None are more than 50% full. I can post exact details tonight if you wish?

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 2

Daron Brewood

#4 jmwills

jmwills

HSS Genius

• Donating Member
    • 7,377 posts
    • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

Way too many factors can affect this such as drive speed, NIC speed, bad cabling, etc. Can you actually looking and see what is changing in the backups?

Windows 7 Desktop - Antec 100 Case, Intel D8H67BL, OCZ 550W PSU, Intel i3-530 CPU w/16GB G-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM
    Server 2012 - Fractal Arc Midi, CoolerMaster M600 PSU, ASUS P8H67V, Intel i5-2500 CPU w/32GBG-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM, 90 GIG OCZ SSD OS Drive – Roles: Hyper-V (WHS-SharePoint-DC-SQL-Exchange-WSE 2012R2), Print Server - Rocket RAID 2720 4 x 3TB WD Red

#5 tekguru

tekguru

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 117 posts
    • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 06 November 2012 - 07:54 AM

Yeah, I'll post details on the drives tonight, the NICs are 1Gb (inbuilt on the ASUS Mobo), and the cablign was new last year.

The only major data that shouild be changing is the download of maybe 3 x 1.1Gb files, and maybe the movment of 2Gb of daa from one partition to the other. That is of course apart from transient data like email and web browsing.

Unlesss you can advise a method I don't think there is a way of seeing what data has changed?

Daron Brewood

#6 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 13,105 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

Is it correct that your computer has 500-600GB of data and your wife's only 3GB? Approximately how many individual files make up each of those totals? If there are a lot more files on your computer, it could seriously affect the time for a backup. Remember, even when a file has not changed, the backup routine has to check it anyway, to be sure it hasn't changed. If your computer has say 10 times as many files as your wife's, it matters, even if none have changed.

I'm not saying that will account for the entire difference in backup times. Another thing to look at is your network cable. Have you tried a different one?

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#7 jmwills

jmwills

HSS Genius

• Donating Member
    • 7,377 posts
    • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 06 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

To add to what our esteemed neighbor form the North said, when backing up a file, it has to be opened and closed when copying so 20 gigs of data containing 10k files will take longer than 20 gigs comprised of 5 files.

#8 tekguru

tekguru

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 117 posts
    • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:20 AM

Okay details of the drives and contents attached. From what has been said it could be as you say the time the system needs to analyse and copy the files.

The files on two of the drives are a large collection of video files, and the other a very large collection of reference and ebook files.

So if it is the volume of static files that are making the difference I guess that I need to look at more storage, in a resilient format to move that data on to.

Network cable appears fin under connectivity tests (as far as I can tell).

My wife's laptop has very little data on it apart from the OS as most of the work she does (genealogy) is web based apart from a collection of scans from old family photos.

Attached Files

Daron Brewood

#9 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 13,105 posts

Posted 06 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

One way to test your network cable (a very basic way mind you), is to copy a variety of files in both directions, to see if there's a significant difference. It's not definitive, but it can give a reasonable indication. You need to run separate copy tests: a bunch of small files, a few large files; a few really large files, and a mix. You do the same copies in each direction, then compare the times for each. If there's a significant difference, it could indicate a networking issue.

#10 tekguru

tekguru

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 117 posts
    • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:26 PM

Worth a try :)

Did some tests tonight and all seemed fine, but just in case will bring new cables home with me tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

Daron Brewood

#11 pcdoc

pcdoc

HSS Legend

• Moderators
    • 3,957 posts
    • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 07 November 2012 - 07:28 AM

How about testing speed transfers across you network between each PC to see if there are networking (NIC) issues. Also run some drive benchmarks as the shadow copy takes place on your system first. Lastly, get a list of software that is running/installed.

Main Server - WHS 2011, Core I5-2500, 12T RAID 5 (5x3T) + 2T of Mirror + 2T of backup
    Second Server - 2012, Core I5-2500, 12T RAID 5
    Main Systems - Core I5-4770, 16 Gigs DDR3-1600, 180 Gig Intel 330 SSD. 240 Gig Intel 520, 3T Seagate - Other systems - Core I7-2600, 2 x Core I5-2500, Core I5-4570S, Core I3-2100, and G620

My Blog - The Doc's World
    Tablet Resource - BYOB Videos - TheBYOBPodcast

For More Information:

Computer Systems

Home Network

#12 tekguru

tekguru

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 117 posts
    • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:18 PM

Well with no cable change, only the removal of the HSS application my backup took just under half an hour.. go figure.

Will continue to monitor and see how it proceeds from here.

Daron Brewood

#13 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 13,105 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 12:24 PM

Well, Jerry will want to know about this I'm sure.

#14 tekguru

tekguru

HSS Pro

• Members
    • 117 posts
    • LocationManchester, UK

Posted 07 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

Yep :) Already reported it in the support thread.

Daron Brewood

#15 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 13,105 posts

Posted 07 November 2012 - 02:07 PM

:)

Skins By Invisioneers