Hanzoy

Antivirus software for Server 2012 Essentials

64 posts in this topic

Hi all

I'm thinking about installing 2012 Essentials. What antivirus software are you guys using?

On my previous WHSv1, and current WHS2011, I'm not running any AV. I may well do the same for 2012. I don't use my servers to surf the web (except for Windows Update) so I think I'm pretty safe.

I use Microsoft's Security Essentials on all my PC's and Servers. Easy to install and not a bother at all.

I thought MSE refuses to install on some server versions, or are you saying it does install on the versions you have running?

Security Essentials?? Didn't know that is was possible.

I am running Forefront on my 2011 box.

A tutorial on installing it can be found here

(Credit to Tinkertry)

I thought MSE refuses to install on some server versions, or are you saying it does install on the versions you have running?

Sorry, your right, it's been a while. For my WHSv1 I have an old SE build that runs properly, and for the 64x servers I use Tinkertry's Forefront install shown by Renny.

No problem diehard; just wanted to be sure. I have heard of the ForeFront installation 'trick'. Unfortunately, MS is terminating FF :(

Since this is now domain setting, Forefront is a very good choice.

While I haven't used it, I've heard good things about FF. Anyone recall what MS is doing about AV for the future? Wasn't there something about them building AV into each product, tailoring it for each product's needs?

Probably afraid of getting sued by the EU again. Tell us again, how that browser selection thingy is working for the Euro's?

Last I heard it was a roaring success............... NOT! :D

Forefront Client Security fails when you try to update it through windows update, installs fine but can't update it.

Forefront Client Security fails when you try to update it through windows update, installs fine but can't update it.

I think Tinkertry addresses that issue on his blog post.

I think Tinkertry addresses that issue on his blog post.

I concur. One thing for sure, several people have got it running, so it is do-able.

I concur. One thing for sure, several people have got it running, so it is do-able.

I have had no problem installing and updating through windows update on both WHS 2011 and SBS 2011. But Windows update comes with an error when I try to update it on my 2012 Essentials. I know that a lot of people have it installed on WHS 2011 and SBS 2011, but anyone who have had any luck installing and updating it on 2012 Essentials?

Read thru message #50 http://homeserversho...__40#entry29806

that will do it but it will help to read the other posting in that thread.

Will take a look at it :)

When I say 'running' I also mean updating. An AV product without update can hardly call itself an AV product, can it? :D

well, IIRC, Server 2012 in general ships with Windows Defender. Which is a decent last resort anti-malware. As for ForeFront... it's now part of System Center Endpoint Protection. Which both the 2007 and 2012 versions do at least install on WHS2011/SBS2011E... but as for Server 2012, I don't know, and haven't looked.

Microsoft's overview page:

Microsoft System Center 2012 Endpoint Protection (previously known as Forefront Endpoint Protection 2010)

www.microsoft.com/fep

Preliminary tests:

System Center Endpoint Protection installed easily:

Using MSDN membership, downloaded

System Center 2012 Configuration Manager and Endpoint Protection with Service Pack 1 (x86 and x64) - DVD (Chinese-Simplified, English, French, German, Japanese, and Russian)

mu_system_center_2012_configuration_manager_and_endpoint_protection_with_sp1_x86_x64_dvd_1360357.iso

Then used the SCEPInstall.exe in the ISO file's /CLIENT directory, to install on the final Windows Server 2012 Essentials release candidate (beta), went fine, but wouldn't update (error pictured below):

http://db.tt/0t6VvZs9

Even worse on the final release, won't even install, seen below:

http://db.tt/ODUZzmr9

I haven't had any luck with System Center Endpoint Protection yet either.

I got ForeFront to load following Tinkererguy's instructions HERE

Basically:

1. set windows update to windows and other microsoft products.

2. load (mount): en_forefront_client_security_x86_x64_cd_x13-62435.iso and open it in file explorer

3. Highlight the folder CLIENT and open it in file explorer

4. Highlight the folder x64 and open it in file explorer

5. Execute the file MP_AMBITS.MSI

6. You're done and it does update -- I've done it twice on S2012E.

Has anyone tried the Trend Micro trial for WS20122 yet?

Has anyone tried the Trend Micro trial for WS20122 yet?

I have not, but we are switching away from Trend at work for a reason. Its detection rate is okay, but management is lousy, and it can be hard to uninstall, and it's clunky and breaks sometimes. After using both Officescan and Worry-Free Business Security, I've not been impressed, and we're getting our clients off both as their licenses expire.

Just an FYI: Symantec Endpoint Protection will run as an unmanaged client just fine on WS2012E. I'd run that any day before Trend; while I don't care for Symantec's home products, the enterprise stuff has a reasonable detection rate and is better designed.

There used to be a few AV products designed for WHS inexpensively; perhaps updated versions might be available for WS2012E (I recall Avast! and possibly AVG). If you want non-commercial, you can run ClamWin, but I don't think it does realtime scanning; you may have to create periodic manual scans using Task Scheduler.

Thanks Lonewolf. Which version of SEP supports WS2012E? I tried an early version of SEP 12 and it was incompatible, rendering my WS2012E box unusable. Had to restore from backup.

I can confirm that Small Business Edition v.12 works. Note that this was using the SEP client in unmanaged mode, not the management console, etc.