Greg Welch

Windows Server 2012 Essentials RTM

52 posts in this topic

Downloading now! Thanks for the heads up.

Can anyone recall whether WS2012E supports the Hyper-V role after all? I know early on it wasn't an option. I'd like to run WS2012E RTM as my primary OS but also have a single W8PRO hyper-VM to migrate.

Sorry no hyper- role in essentials,

Run it on top of standard and you would have the benefit of running another server (2max) ie 2012 hyper-v server or whs v1 :)

Greg - excellent point. I realize it's not a best practice to install applications on a server OS, but now I'm contemplating whether I can:

1.) install WS2012E RTM as the primary OS (instead of my current WS2012 Standard OS)

2.) eliminate my WHS 2011 hyper-v guest OS since now WS2012E would be performing client backups

3.) migrate my sabnzbd and sickbeard processes from my win8pro hyper-v guest OS directly to WS2012E (eliminating the need for Win8pro hyper-v guest os altogether)

"Essentially" this would phase out the Hyper-V role altogether. Though it was nice to have the Hyper-V role for experimenting.

If you "upgrade" to Standard, you *can* instally the HyperV role, ontop of the Essentials code, basically. Completely not supported.... but hey... :)

Shouldn't they have waited two more days?

10 - 11 - 12

Downloading now....

If you "upgrade" to Standard, you *can* instally the HyperV role, ontop of the Essentials code, basically. Completely not supported.... but hey... :)

Drashna, wow - that's possible!? So does that mean that WSUS are also enabled? How long until MS disables this? Afterall, it's like paying the $400 WS2012E price tag and getting WS2012 Standard?

Well, officially, you'd need both licenses, and 25 User CALs to do it... Like I said, unsupported.

As for WSUS... I think i saw mention of WSUS working on essentials, but that could just be wishful thinking.

I just tested the transition of WS2012E to WS2012 standard using a MSDN key. Worked perfectly and appeared to preserve the core WS2012E functionality. This must be the best kept secret. Unless this is too good to be true, it would allow me to replace my current WS2012 OS with WS2012E and gain the client backup and remote access.

Not to mention, the user CALs seem to be available via MSDN also.

As I can't find said mentions of WSUS... yeah, "upgrading" to Standard is the only way to get WSUS... and HyperV, too BTW.

This is all interesting and I think we will be talking about this for a while.

The SBS Diva has a different viewpoint on it here:

http://bit.ly/VMv3yD

Maybe I'm missing the point but why wouldn't you want to upgrade WS2012E with a WS2012 standard key to take advantage of the hyper-v role in the home environment. Can't see why the Diva is knocking this. As a home user I tend to trust Paul's approach.

Jason, because the recommended method is to jsut buy Standard. Which gives you virtualization rights for two VMs. Standard and/or Essentials.

Yes. THat's right, You can buy Standard, and virtualize Essentials, *and* a Standard box. Which means, you could run WSUS, sharepoint, exchange, or a number of other things on that second VM without issue. (you shouldn't run most of those on a hyperV host)

View article...

You shouldn't run "what" as a virtual machine?

I just tested the transition of WS2012E to WS2012 standard using a MSDN key. Worked perfectly and appeared to preserve the core WS2012E functionality. This must be the best kept secret. Unless this is too good to be true, it would allow me to replace my current WS2012 OS with WS2012E and gain the client backup and remote access.

Not to mention, the user CALs seem to be available via MSDN also.

Curious. After you transitioned to WS2012 Standard, are you still forced to format an added drive to utilize the WS2012E features? Can or would you mind checking this? I would like to know.

In my opinion you should NOT use Hyper-V in your WHS or Server. I would suggest that you install Hyper-V Core, free, on a machine and then create WHS as a guest on this. By doing this you can easily backup the WHS guest and restore your WHS as well as easily upgrade the hardware. It also allows me to still have my V1 and 2011 machines running on the same box and easily bringing them back to life.

Interested in why someone would want the Hyper-V running on the WHS and not the other way around?

Shouldn't they have waited two more days?

10 - 11 - 12

Downloading now....

LOL, except in all the rest of the world it's 11 - 10 - 12 or 12 - 10 - 11 ;)

Only a fereinger would say that, or us ex-Mil types!

Only a fereinger would say that, or us ex-Mil types!

Just remember, yer a fereinger to me :)

LOL, except in all the rest of the world it's 11 - 10 - 12 or 12 - 10 - 11 ;)

I thought it was always 12, 11, 10,.... So does Nasa.

I thought it was always 12, 11, 10,.... So does Nasa.

Not sure what NASA has to do with it, but ISO standard is YYYY-MM-DD.