Drashna Jaelre

Autologin in a domain

44 posts in this topic

Tinker, this is for you. :)

http://www.mydigitallife.info/how-to-enable-auto-logon-to-windows-xp-and-vista-joined-as-domain-member/

I hadn't had a chance to get around to looking it up or testing it, but I do remember using this in XP before ever discovering the easy way. But this does work in a domain environment, and on Windows 7. I just installed SBS2011E in place for WHSv1 w/ Active Directory, and verified that it does work. Just remember, whatever account you use will have it's password exposed in PLAIN TEXT. But if you use a blank password on a local account, you're fine. Just make sure the domain is set to the computer's name, in this case.

I hope that helps "ease the transition".

I suspect it does the same thing. I'd recommend checking the registry keys to make sure.

But since I only use this for my HTPC, which has a blank password...

The description says it encrypts the credentials in the registry. If Russinovich says it's so, I believe it. The guy is a brainiac extraordinaire.

Because you'd have to set up specific OUs, or set up filters for the GPO to limit which computers it does it for, or *everything* computer will suddenly start logging into that account automatically. I figured that I should assume ignorance of GPO, honestly.

But if you are familiar with GPOs, and OUs, that would be an excellent idea, especially if you have multiple HTPCs.

Also, since I've been using WHSv1 with Active Directory, I didn't actually have that feature available to me.

V1 cannot be a DC and yes you would need to create a separate OU and link the GPO to it, but honestly, you done this much, GPO's aren't that difficult.

My v1 machine would beg to differ. Ran AD on it for *years*. Yes, it's not supported, and *yes* it's against the EULA, but it is still possible. Just like removing WSE2012 from the domain is possible too. :)

But GPOs may not be that difficult, but if you're not experienced with them, they can be incredibly confusing.

If you haven't worked with them in a while like I had not, they can be, but once you get back into it, it's like riding a bicycle. For anything someone in these forums would need, Google will supply a wealth of answers.

The 'trick' being that you have to get into them the first time, which can be quite a learning curve for some.

Only one way to learn.....trial and error.

Try LogonExpert it can autologon to domain and encrypt the password

They really want to sell multiple copies: the 5-user license is half the price of 5 single licenses. Still, it's an interesting product.

I never tried this on a domain, but why not just open a cmd window and type "control userpasswords2" and uncheck the box (there is only one), click "OK", then select the user/password info and you're done.

This uses the M$ tool embedded in the OS since XP.

We use this on our POS terminals at work.

Edited by Mr_Smartepants

hIf the client is a domain member, the Domain policy will override any local policy. Now as we have stated before, all you have to do is move those machines to a new OU, create a GPO that removes the password policy and then that could work,

Love the OU name!

Tinker, this is for you. :)

Thank you :D

Thank you so much for this. Google brought me here and your effort was worth registering to say thanks ^_^

I was also able to accomplish this task using Autologon for Windows at: http://technet.micro...s/bb963905.aspx

Welcome. I think you'll find this is one of the best forum sites on the web: friendly, helpful, and responsive.

Thanks so much for posting these instructions. I currently login to my HTPC using account HTPC\jsmith. jsmith is an existing account on my home workgroup that has access to my \\movies share. When using these domain instructions, do you all recommend creating a new user called 'HTPC' for the autologin to the domain? Or can I continue to use my existing account already created on the PC?

You will have to create a domain account (name it whatever you like). The domain does not know how to use the Workgroup account.

You will have to create a domain account (name it whatever you like). The domain does not know how to use the Workgroup account.

Truer words were never spoken (or typed) :)

Now that you mention, I had a question. On a Win 7 workstation (currently my HTPC) that's formerly been part of a workgroup, I install the WS2012e connector but how do you get all of the previous settings of account htpc\htpc migrated over to the domain\htpc so that there's no need to begin reconfiguring apps as the domain\htpc user? Or is it possible?