- Replace server functions of main system
- File Server
- Media Server/Extender (?)
- Household Backups (?)
- Roaming Profiles
- HTPC Functionality
- Blu-Ray Playback
- HD-DVD Playback
- XBMC Use
- Virtual Machines
- Server 2008 R2 VM for school (limited use)
- Windows 7 VM for school (limited use)
- Windows Home Server 2011 (if needed)
- Windows 8 VM for testing (limited use)
- Windows 7 VM for Media Extender (if needed)
- Sapphire HD6450 with HDMI for BitStreaming
- LG Super Multi Blue GGC-H20L Blu-Ray/HD-DVD/DVD Burner combo optical drive
- Kingston 8GB ECC kit (KVR1333D3E9SK2)
- Crucial M4 128GB SSD drive
- 1x 250GB stock N40L hard drive
- 4x 3TB drives using FlexRAID for storage pooling + parity
- 1x USB 3.0 Card
Everyone seems to be pointing to Windows Home Server 2011 as a base for this thing. I'm not so sure about this, since i REALLY want to move to roaming profiles for my home systems (i want to be able to log on to any system in the house and have the same user settings across the board). This pretty much requires a domain install if i remember correctly, and i don't believe that the Windows Home Server products can do this. I do like the features though, and i know for a fact that Windows Server 2008 R2 does NOT like media extenders, so on the off case that i want to stream something to my Xbox, i can't. I assmue that WHS can do media extender support, but i haven't looked.
Here are the questions:
- Does anyone know a way of getting roaming profiles to work on WHS 2011?
- Does WHS 2011 allow for proper utilization of VMs?
- Does anyone know of a way to "split" the internal SATA between the optical drive and the SSD drive?
- Is it possilbe to put the 250gb drive into the system anywhere while still having the optical drive and an SSD?