19 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

I know a lot of you use the WD Green drives,

But would love to know if you tweak them with WD idle,

ie: Parking times 8 / 300 / Disabled...ect

Had an EADS Drive Die on me this week,

Funny enough, it would be out of warranty if it had the

new 2 year one on it , by a few months.

Quite sure it had an idle of S300 on it.

:D

Thanks Smartepants.

Was Searching WD idle, not Intellipark.

Cheers

I have the version of this program called WDTLER.

Hi guys,

I know a lot of you use the WD Green drives,

Had an EADS Drive Die on me this week,

Funny enough, it would be out of warranty if it had the

new 2 year one on it , by a few months.

Quite sure it had an idle of S300 on it.

:D

You can certainly do it but I am not sure why you would. I really can not find a reason for it. What is you motivation for doing this? Are you having an a problem?

Hey PCDoc,

Have not thought about this Head Parking thing in a while,

but when I did install this drive 2 years back, I had

found a few threads on WD Greens & High Load Cycle Counts

with the Parking.

Such as http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1367904

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5357

A couple of my EADS Drives went to non Windows Apps,

Like WDTV, these 2 Drives I set too, 300 Seconds Park with

WDidle. One of these Died, Making Me think about the Park thing (Death by - Massive Bad Sector Count Anyway),

All in All I have not had any issues with EADS,

Hey PCDoc,

Have not thought about this Head Parking thing in a while,

but when I did install this drive 2 years back, I had

found a few threads on WD Greens & High Load Cycle Counts

with the Parking.

Such as http://forums.whirlp...archive/1367904

http://wdc.custhelp....etail/a_id/5357

A couple of my EADS Drives went to non Windows Apps,

Like WDTV, these 2 Drives I set too, 300 Seconds Park with

WDidle. One of these Died, Making Me think about the Park thing (Death by - Massive Bad Sector Count Anyway),

All in All I have not had any issues with EADS,

Everything has a trade off. Personally I would rather not mess with it but I understand why you were concerned. I still have EADS running in my WHS 2011 since it was out and they were transferred from my V1. I have had one drive go bad but considering the drives are about 2.5-3 years old, and I have 12 of them in my server I would say overall they are fairly reliable. Certainly no harm in adjusting just not sure it will have a noticeable impact.

I bumped my WD20EARS drives up to 300 seconds with wdidle3.exe. Hey, that reminds me - I have a replacement drive that I haven't set yet.

*There's probably no performance impact of note, but reduction in wear and tear from park/unpark makes sense to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

I think if this is going to have any real impact at all, it will be for drives used in RAID arrays, in particular with RAID cards that are picky about drives timing out. Obviously not all RAID cards will use the same criteria to determine if a drive has stopped responding, so drive timeouts will affect some cards a lot more than others. pcdoc says he has had very little trouble using WD Green drives with his RocketRaid cards for instance.

I would advise caution when using green drives with RAID cards — your mileage may vary :)

...a lot of you use the WD Green drives,

If I recall, the 'Disabled' setting is a bit misleading. It still parks. How long before it does, I don't recall. Think it was an hour.

Has anybody tried this utility on the WD30EZRX? None of the green drives are listed as supported by this tool, but I and many others had a lot of luck using this on WD20EADS, WD20EARS, and WD20EARX over the years.

You could try it, but my understanding is that the newer WD drives do not respond to WD Idle.

They probably do that because otherwise there is less incentive to by the Red's. I do not want to pay the Red premium, so I may steer away from a Green drive and give the Seagates a shot.

Interesting. I've never really thought of the Reds as being premium priced. I looked at it as a small incremental cost to get some extra features, including Dynamic Vibration Dampening.

I cannot say that I have any issues with vibration on my Green's. Can you? Maybe I just have good rubber feet under my enclosures.  :)  

The Red drives have another feature to abort reading a bad sector after a while instead of hanging forever. I forgot what the technical term is. In earlier drives this could be enabled with a firmware tool similar to WDIDLE3. On newer drives, this tool no longer works. It seems they have figured out that they can charge for these features extra.

I can't say if it's related, but Green drives, in my direct and indirect experience, develop bad sectors more quickly than most other drives I've used, so I stopped buying them about a year and a half ago. So far, other than one DOA, I haven't had any issues with Red drives. However, Reds are still relatively new, so it still remains to be seen how reliable they will be over time.

Seagate has a solid product in my opinion, and they have definitely have had some good deals recently.

Recently had Seagate and WD external backup HDDs develop bad sectors or die. Had to RMA both under warranty. LOVE the WD Reds.

I haven't got to the point of loving the Reds. So far, so good, but I'm a skeptic when it comes to HDDs.