I have been reading this message board and listening to the podcasts for a couple years now.
Thanks to the numerous posts and personalities here, I've been a happy WHSv1 builder/user and thought I would stay that way until I got the "itch" to move forward (for better or for worse) to WHS2011 and "separate out" my SageTV server from my WHS.
So, having done more of what lurkers do, I read, investigated and migrated to a new WHS2011 build based on the tremendous wealth of information on this site:
- Fractal Design Arc Midi case; amazing amount of room to work with and great design
- OCZ ModXStream Pro 500W power supply; great value and modular
- GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 motherboard
- Intel Core i3-2120 CPU
- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB memory
- OS: ICY DOCK MB982SPR-2S enclosure; 500GB RAID1 of 2008R2/WHS2011VM
- Storage: HighPoint RocketRAID 2720SGL controller; 500GB RAID1 (critical data), 4TB RAID5 (media)
- Backup: WHS2011 Server Backup and critical RAID1 data to Amazon S3 (via Cloudberry)
- Miscellaneous: Scythe KM02-BK 5.25" Bay Fan Controller, Thermaltake N0023SN Max 4 3.5" SATA HDD Rack
My only real difficulty came in the media data migration. Like most of you, I had thought to just network copy the files over my GIGE network but kept running into intermittent failures/slowness when using Robocopy/Teracopy/whatever that caused me to doubt the reliability.
I just wanted the migration over with so I opted to pull the drives (from WHSv1) and manually recover the data using the HDD rack above.
Using Robocopy, I copied that data from the drives directly into the RAID5 array - quick, easy and everything transferred without a single glitch.
The new WHS2011 has been up and running (approx. 6 weeks) - no issues at all except the common "computer monitoring error" that I can live with until Microsoft puts out a fix.
With this done, the road was paved for updating/consolidating the various systems I have:
- The "old" WHSv1 was torn down and a dedicated W7Pro 64-bit dual-tuner SageTV server was rebuilt from scratch
- My play/test VM server was rebuilt from Linux to W7Pro 64-bit / Virtual Box
I've had enough of system rebuilding for the time being - hopefully W8/Server8 won't make me do this all over again sometime soon.
Thanks to all those posters out there that helped make this happen.
P.S. I tried to create an album on the site to post some pictures but all I ever get is a permissions error - will have to chase thise down sometime in the near future - I've had enough typing for now.