Joe_Miner

XP Pro in Hyper-V

18 posts in this topic

Does anything special have to be done installing XP Pro SP3 in a Hyper-V VM? I installed it sucessfully but it doesn't see my NIC. My other VM installations went very smoothly so this has been my only glitch.

If the other machines see it, why not a new one? Shutdown the VM, Remove the virtual the NIC and add back in. Worth a try,

Building one to test...will let you know...man these old screens look wierd!

Did you install Integration Services? If not, that may be your issue.

My build did not require that but did require Integration Services to be installed for the NIC to be installed.

The NIC needs to be legacy

So, what I need to do is shut down the machine and install the legacy NIC -- I have two exta NIC's in my MicroServer & I had just been spliting them between the VM with 2011 on one (Nic2) because I'm making it do more and Server 8, Win8 and XP on the other NIC (Nic3) -- if i bind the legacy NIC to Nic3 will I need to move Server 8 and Win 8 to Nic2?

My build did not require that but did require Integration Services to be installed for the NIC to be installed.

I have Integrating Services installed but that didn't seem to help. I installed XP Pro SP3 if that makes any difference?

I installed XP Pro SP3 if that makes any difference?

Did you try disabling the firewall, just as a test?

Not sure why or what you're doing with the physical NICs. Hyper-V just needs one physical to bind to from there is creates a vSwitch and every NIC you create for a VM is a vNIC. Doesn't matter if its legacy or not. Only reason to use 2 physical NICs is saturation (highly unlikely in a home setup) or to make it easy separate subnets.

Remove the NIC you have from the VM and simple add a new NIC but select legacy.

Integration services should be installed regardless.

Joe, my install this morning was XPSP3 also, and the image was TechNet image.

Not sure why or what you're doing with the physical NICs. Hyper-V just needs one physical to bind to from there is creates a vSwitch and every NIC you create for a VM is a vNIC. Doesn't matter if its legacy or not. Only reason to use 2 physical NICs is saturation (highly unlikely in a home setup) or to make it easy separate subnets.

Remove the NIC you have from the VM and simple add a new NIC but select legacy.

Integration services should be installed regardless.

It worked!! It was very simple -- obviously I was way overthinking this again -- just removed the current NIC from the VM and then added a Legacy NIC -- started XP up and it found it right off.

So now I have on my MicroServer windows Server 2K8R2 with the Hyper-V role running WHS 2011, Server 8, Win 8, and now XP.

2012-03-09_4VMsOnDestiny-2K8R2.jpg

XP is showing a higher CPU useage just because I've just installed MSE and was having it update itself and run a virus scan.

All of the CPU's are running pretty light -- WHS 2011 is the only one I'm working with almost 3TB of data on the two 3TB drives I passed thru to it but it's hardly doing anything most of the time!

I'm not sure why XP isn't showing a heartbeat -- I need to look more into that.

I did go into both Win 8 and Server 8 and initialized to Hyper-V Role in each but then when I actually went to start it in each one I got a message that they detected a Hypervisor already running -- you must of done some pretty fancy stuff to be able to start hyper-v within a hyper-v guest! The techNET eLearning courses on Hyper-V didn't cover that part -- they had covered the Legacy NIC but I'd forgotten it until TK mentioned it.

I could install more guests but I'm to the point where this is about the max I can have running at the same time.

Joe, my install this morning was XPSP3 also, and the image was TechNet image.

That's where I got my iso -- it was the X86 XP Pro SP3 and the iso ending in 80428.

That's the one.

All of the CPU's are running pretty light -- WHS 2011 is the only one I'm working with almost 3TB of data on the two 3TB drives I passed thru to it but it's hardly doing anything most of the time!

I would be interested to know if you can stream blu-ray 1080p movies from that WHS2011 without any stuttering, etc.

I would be interested to know if you can stream blu-ray 1080p movies from that WHS2011 without any stuttering, etc.

I've streamed the DVD "Support your Local Sheriff" while transfering 100GB of files to the VM WHS 2011 -- I've also streamed the BluRay "Battle LA" and "Star Trek" -- all with no issues. Plan to try "Avitar" and "Hoosiers" later.

I've streamed the DVD "Support your Local Sheriff" while transfering 100GB of files to the VM WHS 2011 -- I've also streamed the BluRay "Battle LA" and "Star Trek" -- all with no issues. Plan to try "Avitar" and "Hoosiers" later.

Avatar is one of my flagship test BD disks.

I do that all the time

I do that all the time

Oh, I didn't know you're running a Microserver N40L as a VM host.

Avatar is one of my flagship test BD disks.

No problems with either one. Hoosiers is my favorite -- especially with March Madness -- Go Purdue!

Oh, I didn't know you're running a Microserver N40L as a VM host.

Sorry I thought you meant from a VM. I see what you were getting at now =P

Sorry I thought you meant from a VM. I see what you were getting at now =P

No problem; good to know the other info too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• ido.hamdi
      By ido.hamdi
      Hello and good morning / afternoon.
      We are experiencing problems when adding a Hyper-V host in to a SCVMM (Both 2016)
      The procedure itself completed successfully,
      But right after the job has finished, the host is getting a BSOD with "Inaccessible Boot Device" Massage.
      I have tried multiple hosts and SCVMMs but the result is the same...
      Any ideas?
      Thanks.!
    • Amit
      By Amit
      Greetings Gents,

I am trying to build a home lab for the purposes of learning the virtualization technologies - WS 2012 R2 Hyper-V / VMware ESX / Citrix XenServer and for this purpose, I have just purchased (with my limited knowledge in server hardware)1 HP Prolient ML10v2 with Xeon E3-1220 v3, 8 Gigs of RAM, Single 1 TB HDD. I am also planning to buy more ML10v2 servers, (if ML10v2 server can fulfil my requirement of implementing these virtualization solutions and can run couple of VMs per host). 

My question to the community is whether has anyone successfully installed/ran these solution off this server? if yes, what are the considerations for installing VMware ESX/Citrix XenServer that one must keep in mind?

If the ML10v2 hardware is not capable of installing/running/hosting these bare metal solutions (VMware/XenServer) than what is the minimum hardware requirement to be considered before purchasing another server. Please consider the fact that this is a home lab and I have limited budget of around 1000-1500 USD (500 already spent) and have to meet the needs first and wants later. 

Consider me a newbie here and if I have missed any information to be provided, please let me know. Any help/advice is much appreciated, Thanks in advance.

Regards
      Amit   
    • noober69
      By noober69
      Hi, I have a new ML10v2 and am trying to consolidate all my servers onto this little box as much as possible.

I currently actively use:

HTPC server (N54L win 10, 8TB of movies and tv shows, networked to my smart TV that runs a Kodi app). Runs about 12hr/day and doesn't do anything  but serve up HQ MKV files (ie 10gb 1080p movies).

Home server (N54L WHS2011, 8 TB of backup data for client windows pc's.  Data for backup is mainly family photos and video, but could include some of my movie library.  Also used for bitorrent and usenet client.) Runs 24/7, and is slow.

I have win 10 laptop and desktop which I use for work and play, so the servers do not get used for games, watching vids etc.

Requirements for new ML10v2 server:
      Consolidate functions as above.
      Maintain OS and data backups of 2 windows client pc's.   
      Hold and serve video files for Kodi across my GB lan network.  
      Run SABNZBD+ for d/l media.  Maybe also some torrenting which I do infrequently. 
      Would be on 24/7 and would need to do several things at once.

New ML10v2 has 16gb ram, intel G3240 dual core, ~10tb HDD (before I scavenge the old N54L drives), and a M1015 giving me about 8-10 HDD connections. I am thinking of a low end xeon (1220) and a dual port intel nic as well.

I have put Xpenology on the ML10v2 for a play and it seems to sync client data and serve movies to the tv well. I like its interface and it seems it could take care of SAB, and torrents.  Not sure if that can be done all at once, which it would need to do. Probably can't do Windows OS backups and not sure about proper data backups of photos etc.

So I am thinking I would like to have my ML10v2 act as a single server to replace the 2 N54L boxes.

I have a dreamspark license so I believe I can get Windows Server 2012 R2 in any flavour for free.  I would prefer not to spend money on licenses if I don't have to, but want something reliable.  I currently remote into each box via client pc/laptop for management.

My initial thoughts:

Option 1: install exsi on the bare ML10v2, then install Xpenology as a VM. Also install Win Sever 2012 (or win 10/whs2011 at a pinch) as another VM for OS backups.

Option 2: Install Win Server 2012 baremetal (or win 10?) with Hyper-V and then install Xpenology on top as a VM. 

I want the lowest maintenance solution.  I am not sure how hard the above is to setup and maintain. I am also not sure whether the system could handle all these tasks anyway, so I seek advice.

I have set up my system myself and tweaked it and everything works fine.  I have limited knowledge of Linux, and no understanding of VM.  I do not work in IT as a job, so solutions that require registry hacks, knowledge of CLI commands etc are not going to be easy for me to use.

I could just keep 2/3 different servers but I would prefer to consolidate into one box if possible. 

Thanks.
    • artiom
      By artiom
      Hi all,

Here is some info I would like to share about running Windows from USB drive on a server.
      As usual, I am not responsible if you destroy your server using anything described here!

A while ago, I was running Hyper-V 2012 R2 from an USB drive on HP MS G8 for more than a year - despite many people claiming that USB drives are not reliable.
      I disabled the page file and was using a more-or-less recommended flash drive - Kingston Datatraveler Ultimage G3.

The disk performance of host os was limited to the internal USB2 port, however all HDDs were free for VMs and Storage Services.

At some point, I decided to use rack-mounted servers, as 16GB RAM limit on HP MS G8 was too low for me.
      Long story short, I got 2 servers in the garage and installed the full Windows Server 2012 R2 OS - mainly for the amazing data deduplication feature of Storage Services.

As a full OS can wear a flash drive much quicker (I am running them with GUI enabled), I decided to use something more reliable than a simple flash drive. As I did not want to spend money for USB SSD drives (like Kingston HyperX?), I went to a much cheaper route - I got the cheapest mSATA SSD drive (Intel SSD 310 @40GB) and the cheapest mSATA-to-USB adapter. Well, the cheapest adapter didn't work on my laptop but did work on the server, so the second one was a little bit more expensive - by ~50p. In total one enclosure with a SSD drive costed me ~30GBP.

Then, I migrated the installed OS to the SSD - and this is the tricky part. I did the following:
      1. Attached the SSD-in-USB-enclosure drive to the destination port on the server and all further actions were performed on the server via RDP.
      2. Partitioned the destination drive according to MSDN recommendations:
        a. UEFI server: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn898510%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
        b. MBR server: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn898504%28v=vs.85%29.aspx
      3. Captured the live server OS in a VHDX with Disc2vhd tool: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx
      4. Mounted the captured VHDX file, assigned a drive letter to the OS partition and removed the letters from others (the tool captures them as RAW partitions even if you unchedk them from capture process).
      5. Mounted the SYSTEM hive from OS on the VHD drive: http://smallvoid.com/article/winnt-offline-registry-edit.html
      6. Updated the driver loading flags to load USB drivers on boot (otherwise you get BSOD when loading from USB): http://blog.frankovic.net/2010/06/install-windows-server-2008-r2-or-windows-7-on-usb-stick/
         However, by trial and error, I found that the article above does not specify the needer path for the flags key and to make it work I had to edit the key at the following location: <LOADED SYSTEM>\HardwareConfig\<some guid>
      7. Removed the information about drive letters from original HDD, otherwise the OS boots from a drive different than C but certain system files get loaded from C anyway and all this leads to weird errors: http://windowsitpro.com/windows-client/changing-windows-system-drive-letter
      8. Captured the OS image into a WIM file (yes, without sysprep): https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/dn898498%28v=vs.85%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
      9. Depending whether the server is UEFI or MBR, the following was done to make it boot:
        a. UEFI server: use bcdboot tool and force UEFI boot configuration. I had a few automatic repairs and reboots after, but all worked in the end.
        b. MBR server: use bcdboot tool with default parameters and then use bootsect tool to fix the MBR boot record. All worked from the first try.
      10. Booted the OS and verified that it indeed uses the new USB SSD.
      11. Using bcdboot tool enabled the hypervisor launch (it is disabled in default configuration): http://blogs.interfacett.com/enabling-hypervisor-auto-start-boot-configuration-database-bcd

According to general recommendations, the page file was not disabled.

General recommendations:
      0. DO NOT delete or alter or change or touch or do anything with the original OS HDD until you boot everything from USB SSD and set up backup and make sure it works and you are happy with it! You've been warned!
      1. Set up backup asap and make sure you can restore it.
      2. Have a Windows Deployment Services server running in the network - it is really helpful when you need to load Windows PE to fix broken boot records.
      3. Have running all necessary remote tools - like iDRAC console on Dell, iLO on HP or iKVM/IPMI on Supermicro to avoid running around with monitors and keyboards. It is much more fun to do everything from your sofa.

For me, all is working fine so far - I will post here if I will encounter any issues or find some more interesting information.
      I hope this information will be helpful to someone.

Thank you for reading!
    • cocksy
      By cocksy
      Hi All,

I'm just about to start playing with virtualization for the first time on my new TS140 server and was after some advice. I currently have W10 installed on an SSD activated and running fine. I want to put Hyper V Server 2012 R2 on a separate SSD and then convert the physical installation of W10 to a VM using disk2VHD.

So my question is: if I convert W10 to a VM and use that VM on the same physical hardware, will the existing activation still work? Or will it throw up issues?

Thanks!