• Please log in to reply
    29 replies to this topic

#1 jimmer

jimmer

HSS Member

• Members
    • 18 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:13 PM

I just got around to setting up my Raid on my RR 2720. I updated the Bios to ver 1.3 on the card and installed the latestet drivers and WEBGui ver 2.1.11.089. I am not sure if I am doing something wrong. I have WD20EARX drives for my raid. There is no option to set the sector size to 4k in making my array. It defaults to 512B. I also see no smart features ie No SHI (Storage Health Inspector). Were these features deleted in the new version? Thank you jim

Edited by jimmer, 25 February 2012 - 03:14 PM.

#2 kcormier

kcormier

HSS Star

• Members
    • 55 posts
    • LocationOttawa ON CA

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:30 PM

Well, if you're doing something wrong, that would be two of us :)
    I just built a RAID5 array with 2720 and the same drives (WD20EARX) and, no, no sign of smart information or ability to change sector size.
    I have yet to put any data onto the array while I trace this down.

I believe you mean BIOS v1.2 ?? I see no v1.3 on the HighPoint site...

#3 jimmer

jimmer

HSS Member

• Members
    • 18 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for the quick response. HighPoint site is down for maint until the 27th but some links still work there is bios ver 1.3 for their raid driver. Go here http://www.highpoint...ries_rr272x.htm .Then click on Storage Configurations then scroll to the bottom of the page. jim

Edited by jimmer, 25 February 2012 - 03:39 PM.

#4 kcormier

kcormier

HSS Star

• Members
    • 55 posts
    • LocationOttawa ON CA

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hmm - interesting - yeah, I can see reference to the v1.3 firmware but the link is broken.
    It was definitely v1.2 just a couple days ago and that's what I am running - will have to wait for the links to come back...

#5 jimmer

jimmer

HSS Member

• Members
    • 18 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:53 PM

You can also get to the drivers the traditional way http://www.highpoint...nload_U_new.htm. The link is broken but they give you a choice b/w Bios ver 1.3 and Quick Bios ver 1.2. I too will hold off on moving anything to this array until I hear back from others on this forum. Thanks jim

#6 kcormier

kcormier

HSS Star

• Members
    • 55 posts
    • LocationOttawa ON CA

Posted 25 February 2012 - 03:54 PM

Just passing along a tidbit on the sector size.
    The drive are obviously advanced format but emulating a 512B sector size for compatability reasons.

Not sure if this means the drive is simply lying to the application and we're good to go (regardless of what the GUI says) or we need to do something (i.e., advance format them as referenced in the article) to "unlock" 4K visibility...

#7 jimmer

jimmer

HSS Member

• Members
    • 18 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

I thought the same thing. But pcdoc states nothing special needs to be done to these drives. It looks like he is using a different ver web raid management though.

No Jumpers. The reference article which is one I wrote awhile ago and was intended for using EARS with Sever 2003 (WHS V1) which was a legacy system. The EARS drives should be used out of the box with no alignment or jumpers on RAID controllers, Windows 7, or Server 2008, or WHS 2011. Just load them on the 2680, load the software, and you are good to go. Reference the RAID setup articles on YouTube that I posted to help you with the process.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.c.../10/K1SWFsZNhRo
    Part 2 : http://www.youtube.c...u/9/gbyksC5Tt_Q
    RAID Expansion: http://www.youtube.c...u/8/wdGNTIqlV0Y
    Deleting and Expanding: http://www.youtube.c...u/7/94FdrrcJsSY

Other Videos:
    http://www.youtube.c...Byobpodcast#p/u

#8 kcormier

kcormier

HSS Star

• Members
    • 55 posts
    • LocationOttawa ON CA

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:12 PM

Hmm - learn something new every day - 512e - seems like this is what the WD20EARX drives do.
    From the writeup it seems there is little impact on performance for this approach.

I am 95% certain that using these drives "just work" and HighPoint software behaviour (i.e., fixed at 512, no control) and display are just the subtle nuances of this 512e.

#9 jimmer

jimmer

HSS Member

• Members
    • 18 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:18 PM

Yeah, I guess I'll just be happy it works. Still not sure why they took away SHI.jim

#10 kcormier

kcormier

HSS Star

• Members
    • 55 posts
    • LocationOttawa ON CA

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:23 PM

I thought the same thing. But pcdoc states nothing special needs to be done to these drives. It looks like he is using a different ver web raid management though.

Note that he is using WD20EARS drives which is 4K native and, from that I can tell, you had the ability to make a selection between 512B/4K.
    From some snippets in this article, the WD20EARX drives are presenting themselves as 512B and upper-layer software/application don't know any better - all they see is 512B even though 4K is physically happening.

WD20EARS were no a real option (discontinued) and these WD20EARX drives are their replacement/SATA 6b offering so "it is what it is" :)

Again, I think things are just fine on this front - the smart monitoring is another issue that seems fixable on the surface - perhaps a driver issue - still looking into it.

#11 jimmer

jimmer

HSS Member

• Members
    • 18 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:33 PM

Thank you for your help. Your info basically confirms what I was speculating. Did not realize WD20EARS were native 4K, thought the only difference b/w them and WD20EARX was SATA 3GB vs 6GB. I thought they both emulated 512. Thanks jim

#12 kcormier

kcormier

HSS Star

• Members
    • 55 posts
    • LocationOttawa ON CA

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:43 PM

Oops - I might be mistaken - I do see references to 512B emulation for the WD20EARS and, like you, I thought up until a few hours ago SATA 6GB was the only difference.

I gues the outstanding question is whether these new drives are somehow different and that 512B is the only option they present or we're missing something.

A good discussion but not sure we're any further ahead :) Hopefully someone else chimes in or more data point reveal themselves...

#13 jimmer

jimmer

HSS Member

• Members
    • 18 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:45 PM

It may just be the new web raid management interface. Eliminating options etc. jim

#14 kcormier

kcormier

HSS Star

• Members
    • 55 posts
    • LocationOttawa ON CA

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:56 PM

Alright, last post on this topic - I think we went down a rabbit hole on the 4K thing :(
    Based on this thread it appears WD20EARS is doing the exact same emulated 512B thing as the WD20EARX (even indications they run the same firmware).

So, all things being equal, it's probably just the HighPoint WebGUI - arrgh.

#15 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 12,268 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

PMFBI, but I suspect WD did the 512e because they had too many support issues with the EARS drives.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#16 jimmer

jimmer

HSS Member

• Members
    • 18 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:11 PM

ikon thanks for your input. Any thoughts on the Highpoint WebGui. Not sure where the SHI features went.

Edited by jimmer, 25 February 2012 - 05:12 PM.

#17 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 12,268 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 05:31 PM

Would that I could, but I've never owned a RR card. I tend to buy full-blown RAID cards rather than HBAs so I'm normally buying 3ware or LSI or Mylex. Haven't bought one in a few years though.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#18 jimmer

jimmer

HSS Member

• Members
    • 18 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:18 PM

kcormier, I just finished building the array. I decided to delete it. I noticed if I now try to build the array it allows me to pick my sector size. I bet with the new webgui you do not have that seperate step to initialize the drives therefore unmasking the emulation. I rebootted the server and once again no sign of the drop down to change sector size. Not sure what I am going to do. Either just keep it a 512B after I build another array or immediately delete without rebooting and build an array with 4 k sectors. Any advice from the forum would be appreciated. Thanks jim

Edited by jimmer, 25 February 2012 - 06:34 PM.

#19 kcormier

kcormier

HSS Star

• Members
    • 55 posts
    • LocationOttawa ON CA

Posted 25 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

Thanks Jim - interesting - look like I might be rebuilding my array - or, maybe not - I guess I caught your last post before it was complete.
    Yeah, I'm going to sit on my 512B array until someone else chimes in or I find some more data.

Kevin

Edited by kcormier, 25 February 2012 - 06:41 PM.

#20 pcdoc

pcdoc

HSS Legend

• Moderators
    • 3,953 posts
    • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:30 PM

The smart setting is not in the new version (not sure why) so you did not miss anything. Most advanced format drives will default to 512B and you can only change it when you create it. That said, use the default as you will find that if you expand your array it will change it to 512B and you can not control that. It will then take twice as long to expand when it changes the sector size.

Main Server - WHS 2011, Core I5-2500, 12T RAID 5 (5x3T) + 2T of Mirror + 2T of backup
    Second Server - 2012, Core I5-2500, 12T RAID 5
    Main Systems - Core I5-4770, 16 Gigs DDR3-1600, 180 Gig Intel 330 SSD. 240 Gig Intel 520, 3T Seagate - Other systems - Core I7-2600, 2 x Core I5-2500, Core I5-4570S, Core I3-2100, and G620

My Blog - The Doc's World
    Tablet Resource - BYOB Videos - TheBYOBPodcast

For More Information:

Computer Systems

Home Network

Skins By Invisioneers