• Please log in to reply
    59 replies to this topic

#1 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,467 posts

Posted 24 February 2012 - 06:00 PM

I just ordered a Fujitsu S1500 ScanSnap scanner so I can start scanning bills, receipts, etc. It was a 1 day sale (today) at http://www.staples.c...&affixedcode=WW I'm now looking at what software to use.

Is anyone still using DA Document Manager? If so, are you using it on WHSv1, or have you got it to work on WHS2011?

To be honest, the DADM site http://archound.com/page5.aspx looks a little abandoned. It says, "SBS 2003 - Availabe Soon WHS "Vail"", but it's unclear whether they mean SBS 2003 will be available soon and Vail is supported, or SBS2003 is supported and Vail will be available soon. And, serioiusly, who refers to it as Vail any more?

What else are people using instead of DADM? I'm open to ideas.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#2 kcormier

kcormier

HSS Star

• Members
    • 55 posts
    • LocationOttawa ON CA

Posted 24 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

I've used Paperport Professional for years and am very happy with it.
    I use the program on my desktop and scan/save to share on my WHS.
    All documents are saved as searchable PDFs and easily viewable remotely (i.e., remote access) as simply folders/documents.

Within the desktop application you get all the same capabilities (search, automatic form-fill of sanned images, etc) that I quickly see on the DA site.

No trial unfortunately, priced now at $199 but does go for $99 here and there on sale.

#3 awraynor

awraynor

HSS Elite

• Donating Member
    • 1,342 posts
    • LocationSpartanburg, S.C.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 09:13 PM

I second PaperPort. It has a bogus activation software that will occ. show excessive activations even though it is on the same computer and nothing has changed,
    but otherwise it's the best I have found. And yes, I frequently get half-off alerts, also check NewEgg where I have seen it for even less from time to time.

#4 geek-accountant

geek-accountant

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 871 posts
    • LocationAtlanta Area

Posted 24 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

I stopped using DA Document Manager and moved to FileCenter. I looked at a lot of them and downloaded many trials. In the end, FileCenter was my favorite and after a year or so of using it, I still like it.
    unRAID server 18.5TB
    WSS-2011 5TB internal + 4x3TB RAID 5 Mediasonic USB 3.0 external storage
    Hyper-V server running 10 VM's(AMD 6 core with 16gig of ram - Raid 5 & Raid 0, plus USB 3 Mediasonic 4 drive enclosure)
    pfSense & Untangle (aka, SUPER ROUTER) running as seperate machines
    Broadcast server - broadcast the jpeg2RAW podcast - AMD 8 core 4Ghz, 8gig DDR3 1600, RAID 0
    [url="""]The jpeg2RAW podcast site[/url]

#5 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,467 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 08:21 AM

Thanks very much guys. I will check them out.

#6 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,467 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:55 AM

I stopped using DA Document Manager and moved to FileCenter. I looked at a lot of them and downloaded many trials. In the end, FileCenter was my favorite and after a year or so of using it, I still like it.

I don't seem to be able to find out if FileCenter supports double-sided scanning. Do you know?

#7 geek-accountant

geek-accountant

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 871 posts
    • LocationAtlanta Area

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:25 AM

Yep, I do it all the time. I think the main thing you have to make sure your scanner can do double sided.
    unRAID server 18.5TB
    Hyper-V server running 10 VM's(AMD 6 core with 16gig of ram - Raid 5 & Raid 0, plus USB 3 Mediasonic 4 drive enclosure)
    Broadcast server - broadcast the jpeg2RAW podcast - AMD 8 core 4Ghz, 8gig DDR3 1600, RAID 0

#8 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,467 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 10:52 AM

The S1500 does support it, as I understand it. It better for $500 :)

#9 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,467 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 10:07 AM

Trying to track down with Staples just where my scanner is. I was supposed to get it Tuesday! Arrrrrrgh....

#10 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,467 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Finally got the scanner today. Had a short talk with the store manager about how her staff neglected to notify me of the scanner's arrival for 4 days.

GA, my first issue. I installed the scanner drivers, and it's listed in Devices and Printers, but FileCenter does not see it. It does see my VueScan TWAIN driver, which I don't want to use for this. Any ideas?

EDIT: nevermind. I found out that the ScanSnap line doesn't have TWAIN drivers, and I'm presuming that FileCenter requires a TWAIN compliant scanner.

This scanner can scan to SharePoint. I wonder how feasible using that is? Sounds like it could be a lot of work to set up.

#11 geek-accountant

geek-accountant

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 871 posts
    • LocationAtlanta Area

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

There is a way to make it use a ScanSnap scanner, which is what I had at first. Not finding exactly what I wanted to give you but here is a link that might help:

http://store.lucion.....267/KB.1014/.f

Also, try this. Go into the Help in Filecenter and search for ScanSnap. There is some documentation there that might help.
    unRAID server 18.5TB

#12 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,467 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

There is a way to make it use a ScanSnap scanner, which is what I had at first. Not finding exactly what I wanted to give you but here is a link that might help:

http://store.lucion.....267/KB.1014/.f

Also, try this. Go into the Help in Filecenter and search for ScanSnap. There is some documentation there that might help.

Thanks a bunch GA.

I did find one odd thing. I used FileCenter to OCR a PDF. Then I opened the PDF in Acrobat and tried to search for text in it. Unfortunately, it didn't highlight the text correctly; it highlighted weird locations in the document. When I did the same OCRing in the ScanSnap Organizer program and then searched, it did highlight correctly. Any idea why that might be? Does OCR work properly for you in FileCenter?

#13 geek-accountant

geek-accountant

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 871 posts
    • LocationAtlanta Area

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

If you are using the standard OCR in Filecenter, it might not be as good as the one in ScanSnap. The advanced OCR in Filecenter is much better, but you have to buy the high-end version. Are you using the demo version? If so, does it allow you to use the Advanced OCR engine?
    unRAID server 18.5TB

#14 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,467 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

I am using the demo version. I assume it does allow Advanced OCR; I'll check it out.

EDIT: the demo does allow advanced OCR. My 2nd attempt was better.

#15 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,467 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

A further question on ScanSnap, if you can remember: does it allow for full index searching? It seems FileCenter does. But, FileCenter doesn't seem to allow drag n drop relocation of documents, while ScanSnap does.

Please bear in mind I'm just getting started with these programs. I'm likely missing a lot.

#16 geek-accountant

geek-accountant

HSS Advanced

• Donating Member
    • 871 posts
    • LocationAtlanta Area

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

O yea FileCenter allows drag and drop relocation. In fact, that is one of the main reasons I like the software. I scan everything into one big folder. Each scan also has one of 3 "Separators". This "separator" tells FileCenter where to put the document. For example, when I scan a bill, the seperator used for Bills tells FileCenter to put a copy in the Temp Folder, the Bill's Due Folder and the Data Entry Folder. Once i pay the bill, I delete it from the Bills Due Folder. Once I enter the bill into Quicken, I delete it from the Data Entry Folder.

Now, all that is the left is the crazy named PDF in the temp folder. I can move it any time I want, but when I do, I use the "Naming Options" function so that when the file is moved to another folder it is also re-named. This way I never have to manually name a document which is a huge time saver. One thing I do when moving the files is go into Split view. The Temp folder is in the top view, the folders I am moving too are in the bottom view and the naming options I created are in the middle. Now of things like credit card statement, bank accounts, etc, I have a Folder with the Name of the item, a sub folder under it called Statements (plus others as needed) and then under the Statement folder I have each year listed. When I drag and drop my Discover Statement for January 2012 into it's folder, the Naming Option I set will name it something like this: Bills - Credit Cards - Discover - Statements - 2012 - 1

Now the 1 on the end is not what you think. Since I will only have 12 or so Statements in one folder, I don't worry about adding the exact month. I have it set up to auto increment the number.

I know that is more than you asked, but hopefully it helps. If you want, we can hop into a Google+ Hangout some time and I can help some more.
    unRAID server 18.5TB

#17 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,467 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:53 PM

Thanks so much for your assistance GA.....much appreciated.

I just tried the move with split view, but the only way I could get it to work is to click the Explorer box in the top right of each view pane. This seems very non-intuitive to me. Why can't I just click on a thumbnail and drag it to a different location. I also noticed that I cannot delete a document or folder from the non-Explorer view. Again, this seems really odd, like a cludge.

I'm hoping not to have to worry about naming files at all. I don't want to be bothered with that nonsense. I want to scan documents into a big cesspool of documents and then be able to retrieve any one(s) I want by searching for words or phrases I think will be in the document. This is why I so much want excellent OCR. IOW, I neither want to know, nor care, physically where the documents reside; I only want to be able to get them when needed. Of course, I do need to be able to specify a location for the physical files so I can ensure they get backed up, but I don't want to be concerned about which files in that location pertain to what - that's what search is for.

I also want to be able to add keywords to the PDFs, both from a master list and manually for a specific document or group of documents.

Does any of that make sense.

Sorry, I don't have a Google account (and I'm not interested in getting one) so Hangout is, err, 'out' :)

#18 diehard

diehard

HSS Elite

• Moderators
    • 1,635 posts
    • LocationMontreal

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:33 PM

I just ordered a Fujitsu S1500 ScanSnap scanner so I can start scanning bills, receipts, etc. It was a 1 day sale (today) at http://www.staples.c...&affixedcode=WW I'm now looking at what software to use.

Is anyone still using DA Document Manager? If so, are you using it on WHSv1, or have you got it to work on WHS2011?

To be honest, the DADM site http://archound.com/page5.aspx looks a little abandoned. It says, "SBS 2003 - Availabe Soon WHS "Vail"", but it's unclear whether they mean SBS 2003 will be available soon and Vail is supported, or SBS2003 is supported and Vail will be available soon. And, serioiusly, who refers to it as Vail any more?

What else are people using instead of DADM? I'm open to ideas.

Sorry I'm late to the part on this one.

DA2011 for WHSv1 is one of my most favorite addin. However since moving over to my Microserver, I had to reauthorise my account. I have sent Archound a few email without receiving a reply. The light's must be off over there. Bummer.

Since it hasn't been updated or looks like it won't in the future, it's looking old.

EX470 modified BIOS BE-2300 CPU 4Gig ram, 4 2TB HDD. DX4000 with 4 2TB HDD Storage Server2008 R2 Essentials.
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Home Server

#19 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,467 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

Sorry I'm late to the part on this one.

DA2011 for WHSv1 is one of my most favorite addin. However since moving over to my Microserver, I had to reauthorise my account. I have sent Archound a few email without receiving a reply. The light's must be off over there. Bummer.

Since it hasn't been updated or looks like it won't in the future, it's looking old.

Yeah, was kinda thinking the same thing. The search is on. I'm gonna give FileCenter a good shot, just because GA likes it so much, but it has some odd quirks so far, at least to me.

#20 diehard

diehard

HSS Elite

• Moderators
    • 1,635 posts
    • LocationMontreal

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:08 PM

Mike talked briefly about his scanner on Jim's last Home Tech Podcast. Maybe Jim can have a podcast with the scanner as the main topic. Get into the whole scanning business.

EX470 modified BIOS BE-2300 CPU 4Gig ram, 4 2TB HDD. DX4000 with 4 2TB HDD Storage Server2008 R2 Essentials.
    Microsoft MVP - Windows Home Server

Skins By Invisioneers