• Similar Content

• TheJason
      By TheJason
      I've been successfully backing up the C: partition of my Surface Pro to my Server2012E for about a week now.  But, I haven't tried to restore it yet.  Has anybody tried this using a recovery boot usb key?  How well has it worked?
    • Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      One of my HTPC's that starts to the MS account (N40L running Windows 10 Pro)  -- the Launch Pad would Load & Log in OK but the icon's are not visible (i.e. Backup, Remote, Shared Folders, Dashboard) but everything worked and from my WHS2011 it was backing up OK etc -- I was going to mess with it when I had a block of spare time then I noticed that another of my PC's that also starts up to another MS account (Z68 with i5 running Windows 10 Pro) started showing a blank Launch Pad also!  
      Has one of the W10 updates trashed this?  
      Anyone else experiencing the same?

What the french Toast!
    • TeeeBear
      By TeeeBear
      The C:\Users\MediaStreamingAdmin\AppData\Local\Microsoft folder shows 2.98gb size, but 11.4gb size on disk. Within the folder (with hidden files turned on) there are two more folders; "Caches" and "GameExplorer" which both appear to be empty, and one 256kb .dat file. Can anyone explain what's going on? 

This is a 60gb SSD with only 6gb available so I'm getting low disk space errors. The other day, I had removed some things and was up to ~15gb available, now all of a sudden I'm back to low disk space again. :/
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Hey guys, I'm new around here... In fact quite new(ish) to the whole home server scene ;-)

I have a G7 N54L running WHS2011 and planning to upgrade to Gen8 G1610T. I currently use my home server to share files between various devices around the house, for Plex media streaming/transcoding, and also to backup a few PCs.

I am quite happy with WHS2011 but as its a bit old and official support ends next year (I believe?) as well as my license being tied to the N54L, I'm thinking over which OS to use for Gen8. What I have seen and read about WS2012 seems like it's more complex than WHS2011 but it should be similar if I use it the same way...right? Would I be better off with OMV, FreeNAS, Xpenology, etc? Are they good for backing up and restoring PCs? Cost of OS is not really an issue as I have a friend who has Dreamspark access :-)

I'd also like the possibility of setting up my own VPN, hosting an IRC egg/bot, http server maybe in the future, or at least play around with such...

So what do you guys suggest?
G. WadeTech

WHS Remote App's

12 posts in this topic

I have been working on a couple of different WHS 2011 add-ins. The one that I am working on more actively is going to expand on the Server to client relationship that the Dashboard currently does. This add-in will allow users to run a variety of applications on the WHS from the client using Remote Desktop Services as the Dashboard does today. The first application that I am working to package is Resource Monitor. The plan would that you would install this add-in and a new icon would show in the launchpad and be called Resource Monitor. When you click on this new icon Resource Monitor would open on the client (current machine you are on) and the ResourceMonitor.exe would open over Remote Desktop Services.

Here is the current list of default applications that are available to have a Remote App created for:

Calculator

Character Map

Connect to a Projector

Create a System Repair Disc

Dashboard

Dashboard (Safe mode)

Data Sources (ODBC)

Default Programs

Disk Cleanup

Disk Defragmenter

Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager

iSCSI Initiator

Paint

Remote Desktop Connection

Resource Monitor

Security Configuration Wizard

Snipping Tool

Sound Recorder

Storage Explorer

Sync Center

Systme Configuration

System Information

Windows Live ID

Windows Media Player

Windows Memory Diagnostic

Windows PowerShell

Windows PowerShell (x86)

Windows PowerShell Modules

Windows Update

WordPad

I am pretty sure that any other *.exe that is installed on the WHS2011 server can be made into a Remote Application as well... I will do some checking into that and possible make a second add-in after I complete and roll-out my first.

Are there applications that you would like to see using this functionality?

Edited by G. WadeTech

re: "Are there applications that you would like to see using this functionality?"

Just one, Windows Media Centre :-)

Really, I think the list is more than most people would use anyway.

May even get a lot of us into trouble.

Good work

The application has to be one that can be installed on the WHS. I don't believe WMC will install on a Windows Server 2011 platform.

That looks really nice.

Has anyone gone into their server and setup a remote app to run on their server from another machine?

You don't mean running from an RDP connection, right?

Right.

This process and remote app technology that is part of the MS Server OS allow you to have an icon on another machine that will run a programs executable on the server and the program to run like a native application on another machine.

For example:

take the notepad.exe and make it a remote app then take the icon that is generated and move to another machine on your network.  Now when you click on that notepad icon it will launch the application but the notepad.exe is running on the server and showing on the other machine you are using.  This allows you to utilize your servers CPU/RAM to run the application and view the application on another machine.

Are you talking about using WHS as a Terminal Server.  That role is now called Remote Desktop Session Host.

If so, there are a few gotchas up front.  Without the RDS CAL's, you can only run for 120 days before the roles will be disabled.

@G. WadeTech,

Unless I'm misunderstanding you, this is exactly what my WHS RemoteApp 2011 and WSE RemoteApp 2012 (R2) add-ins are designed to do for you. Basically, they allow the server administrator to "publish" any program that is installed directly on their server (e.g. notepad.exe, etc.), assign a set of users whom are allowed to access it, and then have those "allowed" users be able to run the published program straight from their client desktop (without using the Dashboard). The published program runs on the server, but acts just like a native application running on the client machine (i.e. a "Remote application" or "RemoteApp" for short).

So... Instead of the program just being able to be run from within the server Dashboard application (by an admin), it can instead be run by any network user (without admin rights) from their client computer. They can run it straight from their Desktop via a shortcut, from the Launchpad application, or from the server's built-in Remote Web Access website.

-- MIKE

That is correct Mike... the idea I had was exactly the same as the add-in your created.  I was trying to see how many users were actually interested in Remote Application technology and if they wanted the manual steps to do this on the server and copy the shortcut to client(s) as they want.

Ah, I see. I was wondering why you were asking the question when you already showed previously that you clearly understood the concept of RemoteApps. Thanks for the clarification.

BTW, I believe that someone has already written up the RWA side of the RemoteApp story here (although he has quite a few things off kilter IMHO, but it's still cool to see nonetheless). Anyway, I say go for it. It'll be interesting (for me) to see the approach you take with your write up. ;)

-- MIKE