• Similar Content

• Dewain27
      By Dewain27
      It appears that I might be one of the first to have both the Dell Venue Pro 8 and the Lenovo Miix 2 8.  I bought both and wanted to see which one is better.  So, if this is of interest to you then continue on reading:

So, the best thing to say is that these devices are almost identical from a specs perspective.  There is actually so little difference that I think it is easier to just say what is different.

Processor
      There are two models of the processors and you can't tell a difference in the performance or even in the specs, however the Dell has the Atom model Z3740D and the Lenovo has the Z3740 (no D).  This is how Windows is reporting the information. 

The specs for the Z3740 are here: http://ark.intel.com/products/76759/Intel-Atom-Processor-Z3740-2M-Cache-up-to-1_86-GHz
      The specs for the Z3740D are here: http://ark.intel.com/products/78416/Intel-Atom-Processor-Z3740D-2M-Cache-up-to-1_86-GHz?q=Z3740D
      Basically the differences that I see are that the Z3740 has 4GB RAM support and 17.1 GB/s memory bandwidth and the Z3740D has 2GB RAM support and 10.6 GB/s memory bandwidth.  Everything else is the same.  Keep in mind that both devices have only 2 GB of RAM and is not upgradable that I can tell.  So, don't get to caught up on this.

Windows Button
      The windows button has different approaches on each of the devices on the Dell it is a button on the top of the device if held in portrait mode and is a physical button.  The Lenovo uses a capacitive windows button on the front of the device at the below the screen at the bottom when in portrait mode.  It is hard to say which is better and I think just comes down to preference.  I can see people who are happy to not have a button that is accidental to hit and the Dell is your best on this, however if you want a quicker way when holding the device landscape or portrait then you may prefer the Lenovo.  I would say that personally I think this is better on the Lenovo.

Other Button and Port Layout
      The Dell has the power / micro-USB port at the top of the device while the Lenovo has it more toward the bottom.  I tend to like the placement of the Dell as it provides a better option of holding the device while charging.  Again this is a personal preference.

The Dell then has the power and volume rocker bellow the power / micro-usb port.  Only issue with this is if you have an elbow cable that goes the wrong way, then it might block access to the power button.  The Lenovo has the power and volume rocker at the top and it has no ports that might block it.  I would give this one to Lenovo.

The Micro-SD slot on both the Dell and the Lenovo are hidden by a door below the volume rocker and seem identical in their design.  It is clear that there is room under the door for Micro-SD and a SIM if they decide to have a LTE connection at some point, however this is not an option nor is their a port for a SIM today.

Charging LED
      The Dell has a charging light that is next to the port on the side.  The Lenovo has a light on the front that you can see when looking at the unit head on.  I like being able to see that the device is charging from the LED on the front.

Webcam and Camera Placement Specs
      The Dell has the 1.2 MP webcam on the front of the device at the top, but pushed over to right side near the buttons.  This was clearly done to keep you from covering the light sensor when holding it landscape.  The Lenovo has the 2 MP webcam centered at the top.  This does mean that your fingers tend to want to cover the camera when holding the device, luckily they did put the ambient light sensor a little more toward the button side of the device to help not to cause it to dim.  I would give this one to the Dell.

The back 5 MP camera on the Dell is located in the middle with a little bit of a hump. Where the Lenovo has a 8 MP camera on the back that is off to the side where the buttons are and has no bump.  I have yet to do a bake off on the camera quality on each, but I can say that the Dell did great for Skype calls.

Speaker Performance / Placement
      The Dell has a speaker on the side of the device that would be the bottom if you held the device in portrait mode.  The Lenovo has the speaker on the back of the device a the upper part of the device opposite of the camera.  Doing an audio test the Lenovo is much quitter than the Dell.  The Dell is easily twice as loud playing the same song in my test.  The Dell is the clear winner here.

Case / Look of the Device
      The Dell is all black except for the silver buttons and the silver Dell logo on the back.  There are no logos on the front of the device it is just a black slate with a rubberized feel, not cheap feeling.  The Lenovo has logos on the front both Lenovo and Windows for the capacitive start button.  The rest of the device is silver in color some parts are metal, but mostly a plastic that is textured to look like an aluminum finish.  The back of the device has the Lenovo logo shinny on the back and has a boat load of stickers for Windows / Intel / FCC / etc.  The bad thing is that it makes it look like it has flair all over the back.  The good news is you can pull off all the stickers and it would really look clean and professional.  I would probably say that if you want flash then go Lenovo, but the Dell is simple.  Also keep in mind the texture of the device.  The Dell always feels secure in your hands more so than the Lenovo due to the rubbery finish.  I think that beauty is in the eye of the beholder on this one.

Size / Weight
      I put this in as it is funny to me that these two devices are so similar in size that it makes you think that they were cousins.  Its like a Ford and Mercury.  They look a little different, but the two are basically the same machine.  I think it funny because I doubt these were developed with any intention of sharing what each were doing, but they came out almost exactly the same size and weight.

Screen Quality
      The Dell and the Lenovo have the same resolutions and the specs are all the same on the devices.  The only difference that I can tell is that the color on the Dell is warmer than the Lenovo, but the Lenovo seems just a hair sharper.  The screen on both of these is so good that it is such a toss up that I wouldn't let this be a decision factor. You are going to love the screen on both of these.

Accessories
      So, lets be honest.  These devices are brand new and I am sure that more is to come.  Also, the Dell has been out slightly longer than the Lenovo (about a week).  Dell seems to have the edge here currently.  Dell shipped the device with options for a folio case, active digitizer pen, and on Amazon there are already other cases and accessories popping up.  Dell and Lenovo have also shown a Bluetooth keyboard cover that they intend to release.  The Lenovo has a promise for a cover and a rubber tipped stylus for a capacitive touchscreen (which would work on the Dell as well) but these are not shipping yet.  Also a search on Amazon landed me no additional accessories that were offered 3rd party.  I would say that the Dell has this one for now.

Software
      The Dell is packaged up like a Microsoft Signature PC.  This means that there is really nothing on it except Windows and Office.  There are a few Dell specific apps, but no bloat-ware.  The Lenovo come packaged up with the Mcafee suite and other items that feel like bloat-ware.  It isn't over the top by any means, but you probably need to plan to uninstall some apps after you get the device. The Dell is the clear winner here and I have to commend Dell for taking this approach.

Overview and Results
      Both of the devices are great value and cost the same thing.  It really comes down to simple things like the looks of the device and if one has something you really want.  If you really want the capacitive windows button, stylish design, and better camera; then the Lenovo might be your best choice.  If you really want an understated design, more accessories (for now), and no bloat-ware to uninstall; then the Dell is your choice.  Either way you have a great device that really makes people question why they are paying the money for an iPad mini.  Apps come to ecosystems when devices like this start popping up and get popular.  More tablets like this are what the Microsoft ecosystem need to drive the platform forward.

• Joe_Miner
      By Joe_Miner
      https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=2RC-001A-000S2&utm_medium=Email&utm_source=GD030617&cm_mmc=EMC-GD030617-_-index-_-Item-_-2RC-001A-000S2

HPE ProLiant ML10v2 i3-4150 for $179.99 at NewEgg with Promo Code: EMCRDRG25 after $30 MIR & Free Shipping!
    • aedan929
      By aedan929
      Hi, I am setting up a new server, I wanted to use the SATA ports that are on the motherboard itself (Supermicro X10SRL-F) and they all work but when I set the motherboard to RAID only the drives plugged into the S-SATA ports show up and the other ones that are plugged into the I-SATA ports dont show up. But when I set my motherboard to AHCI they all show up. Do I need a RAID card? Or is there a fix/workaround for this? Thanks!
    • zik
      By zik
      Good Day Everyone,

I recently acquired a proliant dl380 g5 and I would want to make a project out of it. It didn't come with any SAS or SSDs on it.

I have a windows 7 ultimate with me.
      What would be the steps to install windows 7 on my server pc and how could i make it stable once it is working.

Greatly Appreciate the help and Thanks in Advance.
    • zelon88
      By zelon88
      Hi there! 

I gotta say, I've always been skeptical of 3rd parties hosting my data "for free" because lets face it, when something is truly "free" you're the "product." However, I've found that apps like Seafile and ownCloud just don't have enough functionality. I wanted to make an application that has all of the same functionality of Google, OneDrive, or Dropbox that fits entirely on my home-server. That's why I've been working on a private open-source solution to a very public and closed-source problem.

With HRCloud2, a user can completely control their data from a safe and reliable place that they can trust. For ultimate performance just point your Cloud Directory at a RAID array or network storage device. It's flexible, lightweight, fast, and written in plain-ol' PHP and Javascript (with a little Ajax and JQuery sprinkled in). No frameworks, nothing special to learn. There's even an API, so you can make your own GUI's, browser plugins, desktop apps, mobile apps, ect. I can't lie, though,,, HRCloud2 is a work-in-process and although it's safe and fit for use, some of it's development features may be buggy or cumbersome at times. At the time of this writing I'm working on implementing an App Launcher, Soon anyone will be able to do Google-things in true privacy, from anywhere. Being written mostly in Jscript and PHP, HRCloud2 Apps would be extremely simple to write and a great way to get into coding.

Support the little guy and try this app. If you're dissapointed open an issue on Github and I'll try to make it better! Thanks for the clicks!

https://github.com/zelon88/HRCloud2
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Server Grunt

Hyper-V vs VMWare - What Virtualization platform for me to use?

68 posts in this topic

Hi,

Having now decided on my server build and ordered the parts (see my concluding answer at http://homeserversho...ild-re-visited/)

and I am now busy with figuring out the virtualization alternatives.

Being a beginner at virtualization, I have been looking around the net and trying to get the picture on which way is the best to go, but not really coming up with a non-commercial (written by VM or Microsoft affiliates) "comprehendible, match by match and focused on why to use either or system as a start for Virtualization" -analysis on the pros and cons of VMware and Hyper-V.

Original intention to run a one box virtual environment using Server 2008 R2 as host (and it would also manage my home NW environment, group policies etc.).

Guests would include:

• WHS2011 production server storage/back-up, video streaming
  • 2xW7 Production PC
  • WHS 2011 test server
  • W7 test pc
  • W8 test pc

Usage/tasks:

• WHS for storage and back up
  • W7 for work
  • W7 and/or WHS for media management (TV- streaming/video & music; encoding, trans coding), photo editing etc

As you see the virtual clients need access to hardware, including PCI and USB for this to work properly

In short - When is either to prefer, why should I choose on or the other for my home virtual box etc and

based on my use case and need to let the clients have access to at least PCI ( I can live without USB back-up), should I go with:

• Continue with original plan (2008 R2 + Hyper V)?

or

• Run VMware as host for everything, including Server 2008 R2?

or

• Use both VMware – as briefly described on tinkertry.com?

And

Why?

Hope that this forum can shed some light

Br,

Grunt

Edited by Server Grunt

Do you already have the equipment? VMWare is VERY particular about he hardware requirements.

In short.

Hyper-v will be the easiest and most compatible with the guest VMs you want to run. depending on how complicated your networking portion is Hyper-V may have a steep learning curve.

VMware (ESXi) is going to be the most flexible with what you can do with it overall. It is very picky about the bare metal hardware it sits on though. I also find its interface rather....lacking. this may be my Microsoft o/s experience/preference showing through.

Using both Hyper-V on top of ESXi is going to be an order of magnitude more difficult to setup and manage. I would not suggest this without having extensive knowledge of BOTH platforms first.

I agree with no-control. I have tried both and can tell you for all the tasks you have listed except for the production W7 will work fine on Hyper-V. The issue with Hyper-V that I have had have been in USB support. ESXi is very flexible and I had not issues with the hardware I used but the learning is much greater. Take a look at the write up I did.

http://thedocsworld.net/esxi-venture-part-1/

Both are relatively on the same level now, as Doc said, ESXi does pass thru USB devices whihc will help WHS 2011 in the backup scheme. It mainly depends on what you feel comfortable with. ESXi will give you more available resources for the clients and you can run ESXi from a thumb drive whereas you cannot do Server 2008.

All windows guest OSs - use HyperV.

I manage adminsitors of ESXi at work for military, including HyperV on ESXi (and do some admin myself when necessary and my managment skills have failed me) but HyperV at home. Why? See sentence 1. NoControl has written some good info on this site, and could certainly have gone into more detail but it is as he says. There are also some posts on using a workstation OS (i.e. Win7) as host and a virtualization platform on top of that. Unless this is a purely test WHS install, you do not want to go that route.

and do some admin myself when necessary and my managment skills have failed me

I thought management skills in the military consisted of, "do it, or else!" :) j/k (I'm ex-military myself so I understand the meaning of leadership.)

or as the DI in PI told me. (&*^$%*)*&%@@%*)(*&&^%$^^%%$@!!^( your butt all the way to Hollywood!

Guys! As always the community spirit here is on an unbelievable high level and your competence and insights are incredible!

Overall: From your answers i gather

If only Microsoft OS in clients go with Microsoft based host, e.g. Hyper-V- but USB bsck-up could be problematic

@jmwillis: Yes, HW ordered and on its way, se my HW list here: http://homeservershow.com/forums/index.php?/topic/3249-crowd-sources-server-build-re-visited/page__p__35797#entry35797

But having looked at tinkertry and on talking to ASRock, the MB, CPU, RAM should work with VMWare - Rocket raid card I am more unsure of.

@No-control: I guessed that running a hypervisor in another hypervisor would be VERY complicted...

@Pcdoc: Thanks, I will look at your recommended link

@ikon: Well, the choice of a hypervisor instead of for example W7-virtualization features, is simpy the more powerful options and flexibility (also a great portion of my "Geek-desire" to learn :-D)

Questions:

1. With Hyper-V USB back-up could be problematic, but I have read somewhere that RDP could help with USB, or is this wrong?
  2. In general ESXI and Hyper-V, with a few notable exceptions, have similar capabilities and functions - BUT what are these and how do they actually impact?
  3. In what way is the ESXI UI "lacking" compared to Hyper-V?
  4. Then something I am a little puzzled about - can I run ESXI on Server 2008 R2, or must I run it "bare bone"?

/Grunt

I just installed my first Rocket Raid card (2720) and I am very pleased. Easy installation, great UI, and FAST!

ESXi is Bare Bones. You install the OS and then download the management piece (VSphere) from the server you just built via its IP Address. The VSphere piece will run from any client on your LAN. The UI for ESXi is very clean and easy to use if you have used VMWare workstation in the past.

Hyper V can also be bare bones but I think I have only heard of one person doing that. ESXi saves resources because of the minimal install; an 8 gig USB stick will do just fine.

or as the DI in PI told me. (&*^$%*)*&%@@%*)(*&&^%$^^%%$@!!^( your butt all the way to Hollywood!

How rude! My DI's were always polite and curteous, and always said, "Please" and "Thank you".................... NOT!

@Jmwills: Thanks the sytem size is not a factor as I am planning to have 4x240GB SSD runing in a 2X2 Raid1 configuration - on pair for the Host OS and one for the Clients - But from what you are telling me - In a ESXI-case, I could use a usb 3.0 stick in the back and the 4 SSD for clients etc.

@A: llHave I gotten it right that you can not run Server 2008 R2 as virtual client in ESXI , or did i missundersttod that comment?

You are right about the USB drive, however, natively ESXi will only see those 2TB drives as individual drives unless you can RAID in the BIOS and I still think its a no go. The bext option form what I know woudl be to use iSCSI as TinkerGuy did.

That is my weekend project.

Absolutley you can runn 2008R2 as a ESXi client. If ESXi can see the installer info, it will run. A best practice might be to deciate a small HDD to hold iso images for local installs. Just a thought and this would be a deciated datastore for software.

OK - I have looked at tinkerguys blog and red there and on thelinked forums.

This 2TB limit will makes things very complicated as I plan to run 15x3TB SATA raid 5 for storage and 2X1TB SATA raid 1 for test systems - that will be controleld through the rocek raid card.

Having looked at the set up of RDM - well let's say that i would requiere a lot of help on that one for a smooth transition...and Iscsi well it seems sort of not utilizing the hw that i have planned - Or am I missing the point.....?

Also, I am still not fully clear on:

ESXI and Hyper-V, with a few notable exceptions, have similar capabilities and functions - BUT what are these and how do they actually impact(-s) on my use case? For exaple as I understand it Hyper-V enables dynamic memory allocation, something that ESXI does not.

Would hyper-V allow client access to PCI (for the GPU)?

/grunt

You should be able to present the array as one volume to the server, i.e., 34 TB or so. I am in the process of trying to attach a 10TB iSCSI array to mine, so I'll keep you updated as well.

Someone addressed Dynamic Memory in the forums a few months ago, and to the best of my knowledge, did not have much success.

Ok, so with "normal" precidings I should be able to add the whole Raid as a volume with out RDM or ISCSI, or?

Also, according to some posts ESXI 5 should have removed the 2TB problem - or is this not valid?

I must seem thick - but this is really not clear to me at the moment

/Grunt

Edited by Server Grunt

http://www.techhead....with-vmware-esx

http://www.techhead....-storage-target

Hopefully, these will help. The more I read about this subject, the more I get confused too. You get present however large an array you want to, however it deos appear that 2TB is the limit of the "volume". So in a 10TB usable array, you could have 5x2TB volumes.

Maybe someone else can chime in.

Dynamic memory only works with some OS's in a VM. For instance, it works with W7 but it doesn't work with WHS2011.

Also, why does people think running off a thumb drive is an advantage. Cool, yes; advantage, I don't see it.

Running from a thumb drive frees up a bay, like in the N40L Microserver. You can now dedicate the four bays to storage, instead of allocating one to the OS, when in the case of ESXi can run from an 8 gig flash drive.

Hi, after the first few rounds of questions and answers, I have gotten the following understanding, which to some smaller or larger degree might be wrong – so please correct me

However there are still some unaswered questions (at end) that I have, in addition to any misunderstanding in the first section.

Platform requirements

• Hardware
  • Hyper-V: Runs on almost anything
  • VMWare: Picky and one need to check
  • My conclusion: My HW is very close to the one used by Tinkerguy, so any platform should work

Client HW direct access

• Hyper-V: NO (although pass through of storage, including USB). However, there is some sort of access through RemoteFX - but I am still trying to figure this one out fully.
  • VMWare: USB storage: OK; PCI direct access: unknown
  • My conclusion: USB direct access for back-up could be useful in the long term, but the real important one is PCI-direct access.

Storage limits

• Hyper-V: unknown, so far
  • VMWare: 2tb limit on HDD?, but RAID (one volume) can be any size. However 2YB limit can be partly circumvented by ISCSI or RDM
  • My conclusion: VMWare is more complicated to set up

Hypervisor installed size:

• Not an issue – but VMware small size – load on thumb drive – does open up interesting possibilities for this and my old WHS v1 box (if the old atom board is compatible)

Client OS

• Hyper-v will be the easiest and most compatible with the guest VMs (see initial post)

Outstanding Questions

• If one is used to Windows environment, ESXI has a farly steep learning curve but how steep??

• How complicated your networking portion is Hyper-V may have a steep learning curve.
  • How is the general logic/structure of tools/menus differ?
  • With Hyper-V USB back-up could be problematic, but I have read somewhere that RDP could help with USB, or is this wrong?
  • Can I run ESXI on Server 2008 R2 instead of Hyper-V, or must I run it "bare bone"?
  • Direct backup of entire drive in ESXI (as in Hyper-V), is it doable?
  • “VMs safe state” at back-up in Hyper-V. Is there anything like it in ESXI?
  • ESXI goes into power saving mode that shut sdown VMs– is this a solvable problem?

Edited by Server Grunt

Clarification on a few of your findings.

Hardware - You will want to run either platform on relatively recent and powerful hardware. More RAM is good. Make sure the hardware CPU/mobo is VM capable. run on anything is really a valid statement. You want it to run well.

HW access - Hyper-V allows direct access to SATA ports and GPUs. ESXi allows pass through of PCI and USB

Storage limits - Hyper-V .vhd are limited to the 2TB limit as well. But with pass through you can attached large arrays without issue

Outstanding questions

1. Depends on how well you can navigate and learn a different GUI and relate to language to what you're already familiar with. some people can move seemlessly between windows, linix and OSx....some can't. Being that you aren't familiar with Hypervisors in general the curve will steep regardless. One feels like windows the other feels like a web page
  2. Correct but if all you need is for it to sit on an existing network it's fairly easy. If you are going to try and run multile networks inside a single hypervisor then it helps to have a basic understanding of how it parses out the physical from the virtual
  3. Most Hypervisors are the same in general its the details that differ
  4. for USB back up in Hyper-v all you do is attach the stroage as another SCSI controller and present it to the guest via passthrough. It works fine that way.
  5. No it must run baremetal
  6. no idea never tried sorry
  7. No, but again I haven't used VMware in over 2 years
  8. I'm pretty sure there is a setting for that.

Edited by no-control

Hi, after the first few rounds of questions and answers, I have gotten the following understanding, which to some smaller or larger degree might be wrong – so please correct me

However there are still some unaswered questions (at end) that I have, in addition to any misunderstanding in the first section.

Platform requirements

• Hardware
  • Hyper-V: Runs on almost anything
  • VMWare: Picky and one need to check
  • My conclusion: My HW is very close to the one used by Tinkerguy, so any platform should work

Client HW direct access

• Hyper-V: NO (although pass through of storage, including USB). However, there is some sort of access through RemoteFX - but I am still trying to figure this one out fully.
  • VMWare: USB storage: OK; PCI direct access: unknown
  • My conclusion: USB direct access for back-up could be useful in the long term, but the real important one is PCI-direct access.

Storage limits

• Hyper-V: unknown, so far
  • VMWare: 2tb limit on HDD?, but RAID (one volume) can be any size. However 2YB limit can be partly circumvented by ISCSI or RDM
  • My conclusion: VMWare is more complicated to set up

Hypervisor installed size:

• Not an issue – but VMware small size – load on thumb drive – does open up interesting possibilities for this and my old WHS v1 box (if the old atom board is compatible)

Client OS

• Hyper-v will be the easiest and most compatible with the guest VMs (see initial post)

Outstanding Questions

• If one is used to Windows environment, ESXI has a farly steep learning curve but how steep??

• How complicated your networking portion is Hyper-V may have a steep learning curve.
  • How is the general logic/structure of tools/menus differ?
  • With Hyper-V USB back-up could be problematic, but I have read somewhere that RDP could help with USB, or is this wrong?
  • Can I run ESXI on Server 2008 R2 instead of Hyper-V, or must I run it "bare bone"?
  • Direct backup of entire drive in ESXI (as in Hyper-V), is it doable?
  • “VMs safe state” at back-up in Hyper-V. Is there anything like it in ESXI?
  • ESXI goes into power saving mode that shut sdown VMs– is this a solvable problem?

1. The "basic" setup is pretty straight forward. Beyond that is gets a bit crazy. Not so much that it is hard but rather very confusing. Especially with the variety of add-ons or utilities. There are also a bunch of settings. You will get there but I would say it is about 5-10x more complicated to setup than Hyper-V.

2. There is too many to list. there are very different.

3. If backup is you only concern, there are work arounds for that . IP to USB, eSata, NAS.

4. Nope. Barebones but since it boots from a USB stick you can easily setup in a test enviorment.

5. Not without an expensive third party backup. You can backup the VM however.

6. ?

7. Absolutely, power settings are both VM and server based (different settings of course)

I must confess that the differences between pass through and direct access are unclear, I.e. what does thy men in practice for USB devices (hdd, cameras, mouse, keyboard, card readers etc., PCI-cards ( raid controllers, graphics cards etc.) and GPU performance?

Also, as I understand from various reeds, there is a ideal set up to have a 1:1 ratio between NIC and VMs. However, is it better if these are physical NICs or not? My Mobo has two NICs - should I get a server card like the HP NC375T PCI Express Quad Port Gigabit Server Adapter or?

/Grunt

Passthrough and direct access mean the same thing.

The 1:1 NIC to VM is for novices to keep it simple. This is fine if you have a nice big switch. The whole point of VM is to virtualize. This includes the network. I Have had anywhere from 1-4 NICs in my VM box, depending on the project. I'm back down to using just a single NIC for my VMs. My Preference is a 1:1 ratio of NIC to Networks.

Passthrough and direct access mean the same thing.

The 1:1 NIC to VM is for novices to keep it simple. This is fine if you have a nice big switch. The whole point of VM is to virtualize. This includes the network. I Have had anywhere from 1-4 NICs in my VM box, depending on the project. I'm back down to using just a single NIC for my VMs. My Preference is a 1:1 ratio of NIC to Networks.

That said, more physical NICs in a VM box will improve overall network performance to the VM box, will it not?