Having now decided on my server build and ordered the parts (see my concluding answer at http://homeserversho...ild-re-visited/)
and I am now busy with figuring out the virtualization alternatives.
Being a beginner at virtualization, I have been looking around the net and trying to get the picture on which way is the best to go, but not really coming up with a non-commercial (written by VM or Microsoft affiliates) "comprehendible, match by match and focused on why to use either or system as a start for Virtualization" -analysis on the pros and cons of VMware and Hyper-V.
Original intention to run a one box virtual environment using Server 2008 R2 as host (and it would also manage my home NW environment, group policies etc.).
Guests would include:
- WHS2011 production server storage/back-up, video streaming
- 2xW7 Production PC
- WHS 2011 test server
- W7 test pc
- W8 test pc
- WHS for storage and back up
- W7 for work
- W7 and/or WHS for media management (TV- streaming/video & music; encoding, trans coding), photo editing etc
In short - When is either to prefer, why should I choose on or the other for my home virtual box etc and
based on my use case and need to let the clients have access to at least PCI ( I can live without USB back-up), should I go with:
- Continue with original plan (2008 R2 + Hyper V)?
- Run VMware as host for everything, including Server 2008 R2?
- Use both VMware – as briefly described on tinkertry.com?
Hope that this forum can shed some light
Edited by Server Grunt, 14 February 2012 - 06:20 AM.