What do you guys think of my build list? I could be persuaded on any of the unpurchased components but I'm really unsure about the motherboard. Any suggestions? Also what brand of serial ATA cables should I be using? Are monoprice serial ATA cables OK?
Requirements for the case:
I want to be able to lock the case cover so my son can't turn it on and off. I also want it to be really quiet.
Requirements for the PC:
I plan to do some light 3 monitor eyefinity gaming (Age of Empires 3 and Portal 2) but the PC will mostly be used as a multi tasking machine while running several hyper-V Vms under windows 8. I will NOT be overclocking. I also plan to drive 6 monitors (4 with my 6950 and 2 on the 4550) when not gaming.
Planning to buy in March:
- case: Sonata Elite
- motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3
- memory: 16 gig of DDR3 PC3-12800
- CPU: core i7 2600
- primary video card: XFX 6950
- secondary video card: Gigabyte 4550
I also have an XFX 5770 but I'll probably go with the 4550 to save on power and noise.
- SSD: OCZ vertex 3 120 gig
- power supply: Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W
- 2 1 TB 7200 RPM hardrives for VMs and what not
Edited by scottbakertemp, 24 January 2012 - 12:19 AM.