Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
totalwise

Acronis backup image stored on WHS2011 protected folders

5 posts in this topic

I prefer to have image backups rather than file backups, as they're much quicker to install and work with.

ALso the WHS2011 backup recovory tool failed on me the last time i had to recover files, so it left me witha bad taste in my mouth. The acronis true image backup worked beautifully though.

I'm currently keeping my backup images on a spare partition on my drive, this is no good as a virus can infect it.

I'd liketo store it securely on my whs2011, but i'm not sure if it's wise to store it on the server folders on whs2011. if it's stored on the server folders can an infected pc access the files and then damage the backup images?

Only if a user has access. Create a Service Account that only you have access to.

I prefer to have image backups rather than file backups, as they're much quicker to install and work with.

ALso the WHS2011 backup recovory tool failed on me the last time i had to recover files, so it left me witha bad taste in my mouth. The acronis true image backup worked beautifully though.

I'm currently keeping my backup images on a spare partition on my drive, this is no good as a virus can infect it.

I'd liketo store it securely on my whs2011, but i'm not sure if it's wise to store it on the server folders on whs2011. if it's stored on the server folders can an infected pc access the files and then damage the backup images?

If you can swing it, setup a separate physical drive for the Acronis backups (not a partition). This will simplify your life in more than one way. Quicker restores, and reduced risk. You can use the network but restoring from a network drive is not as convenient.

For OS drives, I completely agree. For data, my 2 cents is that file backup is far better than image, because you can easily access the files in the backup. You can do anything with them that you can do with the originals. RoboCopy does a great job of keeping my backups in sync with my originals.

For OS drives, I completely agree. For data, my 2 cents is that file backup is far better than image, because you can easily access the files in the backup. You can do anything with them that you can do with the originals. RoboCopy does a great job of keeping my backups in sync with my originals.

yes agree. I actually rely on various different backup methods, including online backup, as well as archive backups of my most important files which I keep in a fireproof safe.

I have to take all these measures because I file my tax returns digitally and by law I have to keep records of them for at least 7 years.

It's just that for a pay for OS, whs2011 is quite limited, there are linux based NAS OSes that have better features in some areas than the WHS2011. I would really like for MS to impelment a secure way to store image backups in the secure area.