• Please log in to reply
    4 replies to this topic

#1 totalwise

totalwise

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:29 AM

I prefer to have image backups rather than file backups, as they're much quicker to install and work with.

ALso the WHS2011 backup recovory tool failed on me the last time i had to recover files, so it left me witha bad taste in my mouth. The acronis true image backup worked beautifully though.

I'm currently keeping my backup images on a spare partition on my drive, this is no good as a virus can infect it.

I'd liketo store it securely on my whs2011, but i'm not sure if it's wise to store it on the server folders on whs2011. if it's stored on the server folders can an infected pc access the files and then damage the backup images?

#2 jmwills

jmwills

HSS Genius

• Donating Member
    • 7,638 posts
    • LocationHuntsville, AL

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:15 PM

Only if a user has access. Create a Service Account that only you have access to.

Windows 7 Desktop - Antec 100 Case, Intel D8H67BL, OCZ 550W PSU, Intel i3-530 CPU w/16GB G-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM
    Server 2012 - Fractal Arc Midi, CoolerMaster M600 PSU, ASUS P8H67V, Intel i5-2500 CPU w/32GBG-Skill DDR3 1333 RAM, 90 GIG OCZ SSD OS Drive – Roles: Hyper-V (WHS-SharePoint-DC-SQL-Exchange-WSE 2012R2), Print Server - Rocket RAID 2720 4 x 3TB WD Red
    HTPC Build - Silverstone GD05 Case,x 2
    Travel Laptop: Lenovo U310 13.3" Windows 8.1

#3 pcdoc

pcdoc

HSS Legend

• Moderators
    • 3,957 posts
    • LocationLos Angeles, California

Posted 12 January 2012 - 10:44 PM

I prefer to have image backups rather than file backups, as they're much quicker to install and work with.

ALso the WHS2011 backup recovory tool failed on me the last time i had to recover files, so it left me witha bad taste in my mouth. The acronis true image backup worked beautifully though.

I'm currently keeping my backup images on a spare partition on my drive, this is no good as a virus can infect it.

I'd liketo store it securely on my whs2011, but i'm not sure if it's wise to store it on the server folders on whs2011. if it's stored on the server folders can an infected pc access the files and then damage the backup images?

If you can swing it, setup a separate physical drive for the Acronis backups (not a partition). This will simplify your life in more than one way. Quicker restores, and reduced risk. You can use the network but restoring from a network drive is not as convenient.

Main Server - WHS 2011, Core I5-2500, 12T RAID 5 (5x3T) + 2T of Mirror + 2T of backup
    Second Server - 2012, Core I5-2500, 12T RAID 5
    Main Systems - Core I5-4770, 16 Gigs DDR3-1600, 180 Gig Intel 330 SSD. 240 Gig Intel 520, 3T Seagate - Other systems - Core I7-2600, 2 x Core I5-2500, Core I5-4570S, Core I3-2100, and G620

My Blog - The Doc's World
    Tablet Resource - BYOB Videos - TheBYOBPodcast

For More Information:

Computer Systems

Home Network

#4 ikon

ikon

HSS Elite Master

• Donating Member
    • 14,017 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 02:57 PM

For OS drives, I completely agree. For data, my 2 cents is that file backup is far better than image, because you can easily access the files in the backup. You can do anything with them that you can do with the originals. RoboCopy does a great job of keeping my backups in sync with my originals.

If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you.

#5 totalwise

totalwise

HSS 1 Post Wonder

• Members
    • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 03:53 PM

For OS drives, I completely agree. For data, my 2 cents is that file backup is far better than image, because you can easily access the files in the backup. You can do anything with them that you can do with the originals. RoboCopy does a great job of keeping my backups in sync with my originals.

yes agree. I actually rely on various different backup methods, including online backup, as well as archive backups of my most important files which I keep in a fireproof safe.

I have to take all these measures because I file my tax returns digitally and by law I have to keep records of them for at least 7 years.

It's just that for a pay for OS, whs2011 is quite limited, there are linux based NAS OSes that have better features in some areas than the WHS2011. I would really like for MS to impelment a secure way to store image backups in the secure area.

Skins By Invisioneers